Date: 19-04-24  Time: 08:22 am

Author Topic: 270 miles to a tank ....Is it possible ?  (Read 4186 times)

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
270 miles to a tank ....Is it possible ?
« on: 23 April 2014, 05:29:12 pm »
Hello Foccer's,

First of all, this thread is for my own reference but, feel free to join in, take the piss or tell me my theory is "seriously flawed".  :D
I think it is.(Not seriously flawed but possible). Having already achieved over 258 miles to one tank of fuel I'm convinced that you can push it further.
Over Easter I rode home from Hereford, using the motorways, pretty much keeping to legal-ish speeds but more importantly was pretty gentle  and smooth with the throttle. Went through a couple of showers which helped to keep me from gunning it.
 Today I went for a little bimble in the sun and when I had reached 261 miles on that same tank I opened it up to see how much was in there.
It looked pretty low so I headed for the petrol station.
 Miles achieved on that single tank.....263.6
Amount of fuel to fill it up..................22.55L
Average MPG...................................53.3
I never actually ran out of fuel, nor did it cough or splutter. So, could I squeeze another 6.4 miles out of it ? I think I can.
Bearing in mind this bike has been full monty'd, I think this is quite impressive.

bristol banger

• DAS Born Again
  • smooth an silky
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: 270 miles to a tank ....Is it possible ?
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2014, 06:27:02 pm »
I must be too heavy handed as I'm averaging 170 miles to a tank :eek  Light comes on at around 155
Bollocks, bigger hammer required

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2014, 06:49:06 pm »
Why don't you put it properly to the test Dazza. Carry a gallon of fuel with you in your top box and run her as far as you dare, or even to dry.

I do fuel consumption tests quite often on my bikes. I got 48mpg out of the GenII once, 73mpg out of my last boxeye, and 75mpg out of the Thundercat!!!! I can't keep that riding up for long, as it bores me almost to tears.
I generally keep the speed below 55mph, roll completely off the gas as often as possible, and feather the throttle permanently. If you have to start/stop, set off in first, straight to third, then into top. That all together saves a bit of fuel, it really does work.

I recon you could almost hit 300 mile mark if you went to dry tank. Good luck with the test, and may the gods of boredom stay away from your door!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2014, 07:08:54 pm »
Dazza,,its because its downhill from Hereford to your house in Kent :lol
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2014, 07:13:41 pm »
135 to the tank  scorpion can with baffle removed   :rolleyes.....standard can on 171 miles.....room for improvement for me, but why buy a 1ltr bike if your after good mpg.......saying that though you got to try   :lol
One, is never going to be enough.....

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2014, 07:58:21 pm »
I reckon it's entirely possible.

On holiday long runs (and tours), Liz regularly goes 230-250 miles per tank when I'm with her on my RSV  (2 tankful a on the RSV). Otherwise the limiting factor us having to stop at 215-220 miles when I'm on my FJ1200.

Not silly-slow riding either  :)

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2014, 08:05:19 pm »
I got 55mpg while on holiday in Germany a couple of years ago, that was continuos high speed cruising up to about a hundred mph. Filled up at 220 miles and put in about 18 litres, I managed this two tank gulls in a row. Two guys in our group (on Ducati's) could'nt believe it. I reckon 270 miles might be possible but you would be on vapour for the last few miles.
Jim.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2014, 12:30:27 pm »

I recon you could almost hit 300 mile mark if you went to dry tank. Good luck with the test, and may the gods of boredom stay away from your door!

Think that's a bit of a tall order Stevie, that would mean averaging 60 mpg. I don't think I can control myself for that long.
To achieve that you would have to cruise at 55-60mph for 5hrs and I would probably fall asleep. :z
The thing is, I have achieved these mileages with real world riding, keeping up with the flow of traffic, 70-80 mph on the motorway, sometimes more and surprisingly the twisties can still be fun, I'm just not keeping it in that optimum rev range for instant take off.
I get what Red say's about why buy a litre bike if I'm worried about fuel consumption but the simple fact is, I'm not. It's just that sometimes it's entertaining to see how far you can get on a single tank of fuel rather than how quick you can get there.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2014, 01:04:03 pm »
I agree wholeheartedly with ya there dazza. Sometimes it's nice to just have a change from thrashing the living daylights out of it and seeing what it'll do in a different way.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 April 2014, 09:22:42 pm »
The best time to do it is on holiday in France in the summer. Those endless quiet motorways and high temps mean I manage my best mpg out there, especially on the way home when I don't want to get to the end of the holiday!

Pity the poor fools who bought VFR1200s… I haunt a VFR forum and the arguments over whether the tank is too small are epic. There's even a thread, 13 pages long, about what incredible mileages they get … or not. I think their record is 200 miles, so it's really amusing to see a Fazer get 261 without even trying. Most of them get the flashing light at 120ish miles.

Mind you, it's a spectacular lemon that bike. Most of the posts are people arguing about how crap it is - warped discs, sudden brake activations and locups, fuelling glitches, engines blowing up, shaft drives exploding, adjusters on the rear shock seizing (some guy's had 5 new shocks!), cracked bodywork, limited to 147mph… the list just goes on and on.

And here we are in Fazer land and how many of us have had a problem with our bikes other than the goddam EXUP?

ullukk

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2014, 07:57:50 am »
Yes I've done exactly 270 miles to a tank, didn't run out of fuel either but managed to get 20.95 litres back in tank on filling back up though so it was a very close call, by the way it wasn't a planned fuel/mileage test, it was an early sunday morning start ride home from the top of Scotland, misjudged my distances between fuel stations by a long way!!.

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2014, 09:53:52 am »
 :eek :eek :eek :eek
riding to get 250+ miles out of a tank you may as well get off n push or buy a push bike, :z :z :z

whats the point of having these bikes if you going to bimble around worrying about fuel economy get a foccin honda NC700 lol

am no boy racer rossi wannabe but fek bikes are made to ride
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 April 2014, 11:23:55 am »
Yes I've done exactly 270 miles to a tank, didn't run out of fuel either but managed to get 20.95 litres back in tank on filling back up though so it was a very close call, by the way it wasn't a planned fuel/mileage test, it was an early sunday morning start ride home from the top of Scotland, misjudged my distances between fuel stations by a long way!!.
Wow, well there you go. You are I think the current record holder. 270 miles to a tank. One for AyJay to wind up the boys on the VFR forum me thinks. :lol  Seriously though, you must have been bricking it towards the end. Did you stop to look in the tank, or did you just keep going and prayed ?

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 April 2014, 11:41:19 am »
Looks like this is turning into a challenge.......might have a go.......iam at a disavantage in owning a silver fast bike and therefore not too good with the motion lotion but I'll give it ago........all being well will be out next weekend :)k
One, is never going to be enough.....

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 April 2014, 11:57:45 am »
Looks like this is turning into a challenge.......might have a go.......iam at a disavantage in owning a silver fast bike and therefore not too good with the motion lotion but I'll give it ago........all being well will be out next weekend :)k
:lol  My thoughts exactly Red. The bar has been set and the gauntlet well and truly thrown down.  I know Keithfzs1000 is secretly dying to have a go but to be in with any chance, he's got to stop riding like a dick. :lol

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 April 2014, 12:03:02 pm »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

stick to the speed limit me  51 yrs old time gone by that i rode like a dick (ahh the memories), plus mine a  naked fazer so above 100mph is a tad weary but on the other hand i dont ride like my nana on a push bike  :lol :lol :lol :lol
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

ullukk

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 April 2014, 03:39:44 pm »
Wow, well there you go. You are I think the current record holder. 270 miles to a tank. One for AyJay to wind up the boys on the VFR forum me thinks. :lol  Seriously though, you must have been bricking it towards the end. Did you stop to look in the tank, or did you just keep going and prayed ?
Ha ha!! Yes i was bricking it mate, no i didn't stop and just kept praying, them last ten miles or so seem to take forever, i put my excellent fuel consumption down to steady hungover and very tired riding due to long day in the saddle then straight to pub the previous day, Ah the joys of riding to the top of Scotland forra boozy evening then riding back next day. Never again!!.

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 May 2014, 09:48:52 am »
I must be too heavy handed as I'm averaging 170 miles to a tank :eek  Light comes on at around 155

Haha, I don't think so - my reserve light always comes on at 120, so you are far from heavy handed...

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 May 2014, 09:51:53 am »

How did you manage that with a 21litre tank?

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 May 2014, 11:01:04 am »

How did you manage that with a 21litre tank?

Yamaha were always pessimistic about their tank sizes. I used to get 22L in my Mk2 Boxeye tank, which was a nominal 21 on quite a regular basis.
The Deef's apprentice

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 May 2014, 12:53:44 pm »
Haha, I don't think so - my reserve light always comes on at 120, so you are far from heavy handed...

I take it your on a gen II? If your on a gen I, then you need to get out of first gear :D:D;D

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 May 2014, 09:52:27 pm »
Nope - gen1, but I love the power band so much I'm rarely under 4000 rpms