Date: 24-04-24  Time: 06:47 am

Author Topic: front brake switch  (Read 3472 times)

king1

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
front brake switch
« on: 05 March 2014, 05:16:20 am »

A little problem
The front brake switch, stopped working so I replaced it from ebay, a month or so later did the same, so got one from my bike shop. A month later, hey presto, it doesn't work again.

Apart from keep buying new ones, is there anything else I can do?????

Thanks
Kelvin

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: front brake switch
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2014, 12:04:27 pm »
I've had this problem. I've replaced my switch twice. They're just not up to the use I think. I'd be interested to see what everyone else thinks.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2014, 12:18:26 pm »
interesting i see you both have 98 bikes, what kind of milage was you at when the factory one stoped.
It looks like the after market ones are no good -- can you get hold of an origional yam one i wonder
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 March 2014, 03:34:17 pm »
My switch also stopped working recently and I replaced with a cheapy from eBay. When I compared the two side by side, the original looked better quality and I think it had an area to drain moisture. I'll be interested to see how long mine lasts. At least they're easy to change.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 March 2014, 05:51:15 pm »
Fill it with WD40 and let it drain out. I did this with the new one and it has been fine since I fitted it. My original lasted 40000miles and the present one is over 38000miles.
After buying a new one I opened my old one and found the contacts were out of place and the bloody spring popped out :rolleyes. Took a while to figure where each bit went and I finally got it back together. It is in the garage now as a spare.

king1

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2014, 06:49:46 pm »
I might look at taking mine apart and just not bother with one for now, as long as it is fitted and working for it's MOT next winter
The one I bought from the garage cost £9, so the other option is get another cheap one from ebay

I do 200miles a week commuting and what ever I can get in, between shifts

It's a good way to clear the cobwebs, especially after a night shift

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2014, 08:37:54 am »
Fill it with WD40 and let it drain out. I did this with the new one and it has been fine since I fitted it. My original lasted 40000miles and the present one is over 38000miles.
After buying a new one I opened my old one and found the contacts were out of place and the bloody spring popped out :rolleyes . Took a while to figure where each bit went and I finally got it back together. It is in the garage now as a spare.

I gave mine a quick spray before fitting it. My original was very corroded on the contacts and the little plastic switch was stuck in.

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2014, 08:39:20 am »
I might look at taking mine apart and just not bother with one for now, as long as it is fitted and working for it's MOT next winter
The one I bought from the garage cost £9, so the other option is get another cheap one from ebay

I do 200miles a week commuting and what ever I can get in, between shifts

It's a good way to clear the cobwebs, especially after a night shift

Ride without a front brake light switch? I did until I got my replacement but I was dead paranoid about cars rear-ending me.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 March 2014, 01:39:50 pm »
Ride without a front brake light switch? I did until I got my replacement but I was dead paranoid about cars rear-ending me.
Yes, you need to get in the habit of applying the rear brake at the same time when the front switch has failed. :lol

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 March 2014, 12:24:42 am »
I only bloody jinxed myself by writing on here the other day! It's gone again this will be switch number 3 now. Bigger problems than brake switch for me at the moment anyway with my speedo going crazy.

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 April 2014, 08:39:03 am »
For info, my eBay bargain front brake switch has just stopped working. The switch is stuck in the casing. If anyone knows of good quality switch that won't seize up after a few weeks, please let me know!

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 April 2014, 09:40:21 am »
I had the same last weekend, no "click".  I carefully popped the front off with a shark knife and found the plastic sliding pin had flattened out at the bottom making it stick in the hole.  I snapped off these 4 tiny "wings" and the pin was then free to move up and down again.  I think I'll fashion a metal pin out of something when I get the time but it's a 2 min fix in the meantime.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 April 2014, 10:02:30 am »
Cool. I'll prize mine open and take a look.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 April 2014, 10:12:39 am »
My cheap ebay replacement failed for the second time yesterday… a week earlier and it'd have caused the bike to fail its MOT so at least its timing was slightly off. :lol
There was masses of corrosion in there again, despite having been well flooded with switch cleaner only a couple of month ago when it last happened, but the main problem is the spring: it's just like mild steel, way too ductile. I squished the coils closed and attempted to harden it by heating it with a hot air gun and then quenching, but don't really know what I'm doing… though it is working (for the moment).
I'm tempted to try a reed switch with a magnet embedded in the lever, but it'll need a relay or transistor to boost the current handling capability unless I change the rear lights to LEDs.

king1

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 November 2014, 09:26:40 am »
Hi
After looking at all the other lists on this subject

I have a question, I have just ordered another switch, would drilling a pilot hole in the underside help to drain out moisture and filling it with WD40?
What about wrapping it in cling film?

Are there any other suggestions or mods ?

Thanks

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 November 2014, 10:58:47 am »
Hi
After looking at all the other lists on this subject

I have a question, I have just ordered another switch, would drilling a pilot hole in the underside help to drain out moisture and filling it with WD40?
What about wrapping it in cling film?

Are there any other suggestions or mods ?

Thanks

After reading this thread i would personally buy 2nd hand, bearing in mind how cheap they are!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FAZER-600-FZS600-FRONT-BRAKE-LEVER-SWITCH-BIKE-BREAKERS-UK-2-/361088724034?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item541290ac42
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.