Date: 28-03-24  Time: 18:19 pm

Author Topic: Please Help !!  (Read 3409 times)

Macca4786

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Please Help !!
« on: 26 January 2014, 07:59:29 am »
Morning all.

As you will be able to guess from the terms I use in my question I am new to riding and I have a problem!
Yesterday was a fairly nice day so after 8 weeks in the garage out came my pride and joy my 1997 fazer . I struggled to start it at first but  I finally got it going, any suggestions about why it was struggling please feel free. The ignition was working just wouldn't fire for about 20 mins  even on full choke etc.

Anyway  here's the issue. For some stupid reason I messed with the circular knob on the left hand side of the bike which adjusts the RPM.  I now cannot find where it was set to so I have zero revs on my bike unless the choke is on ! Stupid I know but lack of experience I just tried everything when it wouldn't start . I keep turning the RPM adjuster but it doesn't seem to do anything. Is it possible I have broken it ?

Any suggestions are welcome as am gutted at The minute first bike an all that and am hoping it not an expensive fix right before the new season !!!

Thanks for you time and any replies in advance

Danny

tc330

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ktm950sm
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help !!
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2014, 09:23:54 am »
Don't worry, fiddling about is how you learn stuff. Start the bike up and warm it thoroughly for about 10 minutes  until the choke is completely off. Now hold the revs at about 1400 - 1500 rpm using the throttle, and turn the tickover screw clockwise until the revs stabilise without you holding the throttle.  Slowly turn the screw anti-clockwise until tickover settles around 1100 rpm. When starting from cold open the throttle slightly even with choke, or if that's what you did try it without throttle and just choke. Some bikes need one way some the other!!
« Last Edit: 26 January 2014, 09:59:14 am by tc330 »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2014, 09:37:24 am »
after 8 weeks in storage theough the winter it could have been damp or the battery a bit low.a good long ride will do it the world of good....when you adjuster the idle did you force it or did it move easily,ive seen then seize up in the past.......otherwise as above.....oh....welcome to the forum,post a thread in the intro section,a picture of your fazer would be good......dont forget to let us know how you get on  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2014, 12:38:28 pm »
The boys are right, messing about with stuff is a good thing. That little knob can be used to set the bike into different modes for various things, such as balancing the carbs. Laying the bike up could run the battery flat (get yourself an opti-charger, LIDL do one for £13), the fuel lines could be empty/dirty and the whole thing will be damp. Once you get it running, let it warm up before you get on it. Get yourself the Haynes manual. Money well spent. Good luck, and welcome  :)
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2014, 12:41:37 pm »
One of the reasons it would not fire up is because its telling you off for not riding it sooner
But all the other posts are giving very good - proper advice about the adjuster and a good run
Oh and your bike is 1998 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Macca4786

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2014, 02:21:08 pm »
Cheers for the quick replies everyone. Right just come in from the garage with some more bad news....

I was twisting the adjuster knob and having no joy so i looked at where the cable was going to and i find that the threaded portion at the end of the cable has now come out of where ever it belongs. So now i feel like a right idiot as i have no idea where it goes. When i locate where it goes does anyone know how far it screws in ?

I suspect the damp was a fault for it not starting yday as i have had the battery on an optimizer all winter so far. But the Haynes manual is a must i think if anything to find out where the hell this screw goes back.

Once i have sorted will definitely fill out the introduction and post a picture etc.

Thanks again everyone

Danny

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2014, 02:56:32 pm »
Macca were abouts are you? I'm sure if you get stuck someone local would pop round and help.
Andy

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2014, 03:01:37 pm »
Don't bother buying a Haynes manual, you can download it from here http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=22

or better still, you can download the factory manual from here http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=8

Macca4786

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2014, 03:14:50 pm »
Hi Andy

Am in Sleaford, Lincolnshire.

I just need another Fazer to have a look where the screwed end has come from. Having clicked on the links for the Haynes manual it describes the idle adjuster and how adjust it but doesn't show where the cable goes too.

Thanks again everyone for the info and rusty rider thanks for the links. Some good reading for work next week there.

Macca

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2014, 04:33:33 pm »
Hi danny......sit down, more bad news  :\.....the idle adjuster is fitted between carbs 2 and 3....dont think you will be able to re fit without taking the carbs off.....if its not sheered off its all doable at home, simple screw adjuster which rests on a stop on the carbs.......hope the pictures help......have a look at the members map and see whos close by, they may be able to help   ;)
« Last Edit: 26 January 2014, 04:40:38 pm by red98 »

Macca4786

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2014, 06:55:02 pm »
Well after an afternoon/evening in the garage i am finally sorted. I found the correct place for the idle adjuster thanks to Red98 for the pictures.
Wasn't the easiest to get back in but a bit of persistence paid off. Running like a dream again at 1100 RPM.

Thanks to everyone who posted and helped me out took all your points on board for the future.

Just wait for some nice weather now.  :D

Thanks again

Danny

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2014, 06:57:39 pm »
Iam surprised you got it back in without taking the carbs off....well done  ;)

tc330

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ktm950sm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 January 2014, 07:09:00 pm »
Good for you :D  are you a gynacologist by any chance...... :lol

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #13 on: 26 January 2014, 08:03:13 pm »
Good for you :D  are you a gynacologist by any chance...... :lol
Are you looking for one?

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 January 2014, 09:08:34 pm »
Well done your now an expert on the idle adjustment. Lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 January 2014, 11:31:34 pm »
Well done your now an expert on the idle adjustment. Lol
Thats right now tiz WE who know where to go to for help (and red98 ---- to go to for help)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #16 on: 27 January 2014, 03:54:12 pm »
Good on ya mate. Get in there  :) . FYI, the downloads are handy, but unless you like taking your laptop in the garage with you I would still recommend the Haynes manual. They enjoy getting covered in oil  ;)
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 January 2014, 10:21:07 am »
Well after an afternoon/evening in the garage i am finally sorted. I found the correct place for the idle adjuster thanks to Red98 for the pictures.
Wasn't the easiest to get back in but a bit of persistence paid off. Running like a dream again at 1100 RPM.

Thanks to everyone who posted and helped me out took all your points on board for the future.

Just wait for some nice weather now.  :D

Thanks again

Danny

How on earth did you manage that? Did you remove anything? Have you got tiny hands?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 January 2014, 10:43:26 am »
Good on ya mate. Get in there  :) . FYI, the downloads are handy, but unless you like taking your laptop in the garage with you I would still recommend the Haynes manual. They enjoy getting covered in oil  ;)

I was about to say the same thing, the laptops good for the initial viewing, but there's no way i'm touching it with greasy hands, that's just a wrong'un!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 January 2014, 03:30:48 pm »
The boys are right, messing about with stuff is a good thing. That little knob can be used to set the bike into different modes for various things, such as balancing the carbs. Laying the bike up could run the battery flat (get yourself an opti-charger, LIDL do one for £13), the fuel lines could be empty/dirty and the whole thing will be damp. Once you get it running, let it warm up before you get on it. Get yourself the Haynes manual. Money well spent. Good luck, and welcome  :)

You say about using the idle speed knob when adjusting the carbs.  Do I just take it you use the idle speed adjuster to get the revs to 3000 rather than use the throttle, is is there some other magic going on here??  :)
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 February 2014, 11:39:13 am »
Do I just take it you use the idle speed adjuster to get the revs to 3000 rather than use the throttle

Yes I think that is so