Date: 08-05-24  Time: 20:15 pm

Author Topic: Intermitten Fault  (Read 1152 times)

wheelywill

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - yamaha rd 125
    • View Profile
Intermitten Fault
« on: 07 July 2014, 06:56:13 pm »
Hi got a prob  when I press the starter switch sometimes I hear just a click from under the seat other times I have no problem could it be the switch at fault or the solenoid any ideas Cheers Dave 

mhowse

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Intermitten Fault
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2014, 07:59:13 pm »
When does this single click from solenoid occur,could be a number of things causing it to not spin the starter one could be battery related and not enough power to turn the starter motor, if it is when bike has not been used for while would look towards battery condition, using a multi-meter to measure state of the battery and see also what it reads with engine running so you know it is getting charged from the alternator, otherwise could be a bad contact in the solenoid, a sticking starter motor usually gives a humming or slight buzzing noize from the starter motor to point you to that if it was playing up...test your battery state when it does a single click first.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2014, 08:00:48 pm by mhowse »

wheelywill

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - yamaha rd 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2014, 08:40:04 pm »
Hi battery is fine I been using the bike every day no noises from starter motor I can press the starter switch and it starts up no prob then other times I will get up to 7-8 attempts with just clicks cheers Dave

mhowse

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 July 2014, 08:50:23 pm »
best to go through the cheaper options first Dave..if you sure battery not a problem then myself I would go through the the connections from battery to solenoid infact make sure all contacts at solenoid and battery terminals are clean and shiny with a little emery paper as a poor connection will not help if they are corroded before buying parts you may not need to have bought..also do you have use of a multi-meter for electrical testing ? as would be good to know state of battery when this issue occurs just to make sure as batteries can play up in unusual ways.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2014, 08:54:07 pm by mhowse »