Date: 19-05-24  Time: 11:10 am

Author Topic: The FZS600 curse strikes again.  (Read 3204 times)

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
The FZS600 curse strikes again.
« on: 19 September 2013, 08:41:34 pm »
Just come off and dropped bike. Filtering down A13, some twat pulls out in front of me and I lock the bike up. I'm alright, just bruise ankle and bit shook up.

Bike doesn't look great, but it'll be off the road for a little while. Bent, cracked fairing (again), dangling mirror, mangled belly pan (again), givi rack bent, plate bust top box gone flying, exhaust popped off (again), indicator lens lost (again).

Just debating whether to take it through insurance. His car has small dent in rear wing (no paint lost though). Don't think I'll get much due to filtering, plus my outstanding claim (which I've now won court case on and got judgement served in my favour), for previous damage will limit what I'll get back. What do you reckon? Cut my losses, pay chap off, do bike up cheap, wait for other payout, try save my no claims etc.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: The FZS600 curse strikes again.
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2013, 08:56:11 pm »
It'll depend on the exact circumstances. I got 70/30 in my favour when knocked off the bike whilst filtering. It more than paid for the damage.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2013, 09:09:28 pm »
I'm just dubious since it's going to be just my word against his. No witnesses, no pics of his car straddling lanes. What will the bike even be valued at from previous offs.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2013, 09:22:22 pm »
If you were filtering, how were there no witnesses? That has me a little confused :|

Glad to hear you are ok though

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2013, 09:27:16 pm »
If you were filtering, how were there no witnesses? That has me a little confused :|

Glad to hear you are ok though

I had no witnesses who came forward for the insurance investigation. The other party tried to introduce a false witness later on, but I managed to show him to be a fake because of where he said he was standing when the accident happened. I was able to prove he couldn't have seen what he claimed he did. So it was my word against his, used his statements and a careful study of the road layout and circumstances to show he was in the wrong.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2013, 09:33:29 pm »
No witnesses, cause no fecker stopped, all too busy honking horns and squeezing past us. That's London for you. Few bikers stopped bit later, but none saw what happened.

It was a straight road, 3 lanes, me filtering between lanes 2-3, 10 mph faster than adjacent traffic and chap just pulls across. By time I'm off floor, he's back in lane 3 claiming he hasn't moved over. :-|

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2013, 09:37:22 pm »
Glad you're ok! Hope you get it back on the road soon however you decide to go about it.

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2013, 09:39:31 pm »
It's a bit late now, but (presuming you have a phone with a camera) get pictures of where the bike ended up, the damage to it, the damage to his car, numbers of nearby cars if you can etc as soon as possible. The more evidence the better.

A pic of the dent on his wing and the corresponding damage to the bike could show that there's no way you'd have hit it *unless* he had moved over.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2013, 10:24:49 pm »
If there are no witnesses why bring filtering in to it?  He pulled across in to your lane with you next to him and without him looking beforehand..........'simples' (as the cretin on the insurance advert says)
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 September 2013, 11:17:35 pm »
You obviously used the payout from the last insurance claim to completely repair all previous damages, claim for it all again chief.
Filtering has nothing to do with it these days, can't remember the case but some judge gave 100% to rider filtering and its now taken as precident!
If you are both travelling forward in a straight line there's only two ways his rear wing would have got a dent, either he changed lane hitting you or you decided to side swipe him whilst his car is in full view, now who would believe you'd do a life threatening thing like that?

I'm sure people have their own experiences but I use these guys-
Lampkin & co.
01244 525725

Feel free to call them and they'll give you their opinion before you decide to take it any further!

On average ( with my 3 experiences using them) they take about 12 months to get the payout!

Remember to claim for your clothing and helmet!

You shouldn't be put out of pocket because some prick couldn't be arsed to look before changing lanes!
Some say...

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 September 2013, 11:32:20 pm »
Interesting. Previous claim not 100% settled yet. Didn't file defence, judge awarded case in my favour. But still waiting for payment from 3rd party, so as far as my insurance goes, nothing has been repaired and bike is now still suffering Moe damage to same parts! I'll give lampkin a bell tomorrow anyway, no harm getting their take on it.
Tis shit, I'm just trying to work out which route will leave me out of pocket the least...

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 September 2013, 07:58:45 am »
I had Two incidents in One month
Woman pulled out on me on roundabout- bike cat D
Taxi drove into my back whilst it was parked -bike cat D

When the damage investigator comes to see the bike you just let them get on with it, automatically they'll start noting the obvious damage, leave them to it, if they ask if any of its old damage then say what you feel like divulging, if not then leave it.
Some say...

paulkemp

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 September 2013, 08:18:09 am »
Filtering is LEGAL  ..
Carless driving ie changing lanes without using mirrors is ILLEGAL.
8)