Date: 21-05-24  Time: 10:40 am

Author Topic: Sound at front end under braking/deceleration  (Read 5819 times)

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Sound at front end under braking/deceleration
« Reply #25 on: 16 August 2013, 03:13:56 pm »
I got the front wheel off the floor and spun it several times.

I get a faint clicking or clacking (clacking is a better description) noise and it comes from the offside front caliper.

And here's the interesting bit:  It seems to be once every wheel rotation.

And it seems to be when the same point of the disc passes through the pads.

So I checked the offside front disc, and found........ absolutely nothing...... at least not yet.

Just been out and got my front wheel in the air and spun it a few times (before the rain started). my pads are touching the disk slightly and "catching" a touch, but there no clicking noise to  be heard by hand. I have however noticed that the brakes seem to bind slightly less at one point on the disk, but its not bad. I think ill bring a DTI home from work and just make sure they are not too warped, but im confident thats not the issue for me.

hi

ive not had my fazer long but have had a few odd noises ect, first one sounded like the front wheel bearings turned out it was the front fork oil there was a different weight and level in one fork leg changed oil noise gone, had a noise like a rattle/rumble from my front tyre sounded like there was some thing in the tyre, half a valve rubber,
i would slacken your calipers off a bit spin wheel, no difference  remove your callipers which eliminates two suspects an spin the wheel, slacken wheel off a bit might be over torqued, remove wheel and  check your speedo drive mines cracked and makes a noise some times.

interesting. Is there a way I can "slacken" the caliper off a bit so its not binding a bit like it is now. theres not much in it but I dont think it should be dragging like it is now? (although this is not the clicking noise i dont think, but still needs addressing I would have thought).

I think I may have a possibly answer.

Discs are warped.

But not warped in that they run out of true from side to side but run out of true up and down.

When I spin the wheel and watch the top of the disc running through the pads it rises and falls, not a lot probably only 1 - 2mm but it definitely is not running true.

Whether it's always been like this I'm not sure.
But as it rises and falls you get the clacking sound at that same point every time.

And, the disc is worn in its surface, again not a lot (maybe only a tenth of 1mm) but the disc surface is not dead flat.
It's got a raised part which runs all the way around it about two thirds the way down from the edge of the disc.

The raised bit of the disc will rise and fall as the disc is no longer perfectly round (or rather doesn't run perfectly round through the pads).
It's possible that it will rock the pads on the pin as it goes through them and hence cause the clacking noise.

It's only a theory.
Let me know what you find.

I suppose on the plus side it doesn't seem to affect the braking and it's been like this for thick end of 10,000 miles.

Nope. not that for me. slight (and i do mean slight) disk warpage side to side, but they are very concentric, under 1mm anyway, so I dont have that issue you have noticed.

Check for seized or broken bobbins on the disc. If they're seized clean them with brake cleaner and spin them (gently) with a nut and bolt.

I dont think any are broken, but I cant see any holes in mine either - are the foxeye ones a different design maybe (see pic below)?

Do you have clip on wheel weights?
It can casue exactly what you describe if they are loose in their holder or the clip is not tight enough

yes, I do have a single clip on wheel weight on the front wheel, but it does seem tight, I certainly cant get any movement on it by hand at least.

I have noticed 2 other issues while out looking there as well, im unsure what has caused the first issue on the tyre, but dont think it is causing the clacking, and the second issue is some scoring on the disk face which i suppose could potentially be causing it (as the score goes though the holes on the disk which would give an interrupted sound if theres a pressure point at that location? or is there no merit to that logic?

Issue 1 - an odd score all the way round my front tyre (no idea where this came from at all to be honest), thoughts?  Im thinking its where the dual composite meets, but its only on the one side - the nearside:

Issue 2 - scoring round the disk on both sides (and on both disks but the nearside one definately seems worse):

« Last Edit: 16 August 2013, 03:15:21 pm by mickvp »

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 August 2013, 03:16:25 pm »
someone suggested earlier to try filing a small 45Deg angle onto the pads - this may be worth a try given the scoring issue (or am I best to just chuck a new set of pads in?)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 August 2013, 03:52:37 pm »
someone suggested earlier to try filing a small 45Deg angle onto the pads - this may be worth a try given the scoring issue (or am I best to just chuck a new set of pads in?)

That looks quite heavily scored, i'm wondering if you've picked up a small stone at some point and braked on it.
Just taking the edges off at 45 degrees helps the pads wear in a bit more gradually. Only a sand them down a bit, not all the way down.

What pads are you using now, out of interest?
« Last Edit: 16 August 2013, 07:53:50 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 August 2013, 03:24:22 pm »
im not sure what pads that are in actually. they have been in since I bought the bike.

BluprintZ

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Stiwdio Eglwys
« Reply #29 on: 20 August 2013, 11:17:38 am »
The scoring on the disc looks like the old pads have worn down to the metal at some point, before new ones were fitted (the previous owner?).
The cut marks on the tyre look a bit odd at well, as though something is catching on it.
When i removed the chain off mine last week, i noticed that one of the bolts holing the rear hugger on, was way too long and was about 3mm short of touching the rear sprocket bolts.
Might be worth checking if something similar is happening to your front tyre?

G ; )
« Last Edit: 20 August 2013, 11:18:12 am by BluprintZ »
Life's a long song....

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 20 August 2013, 01:36:48 pm »
Well I've ordered new pads now (thought it wise to just put a new set on so I know they are pukka), so ill get a good poke around while I do those when they arrive.

Its strange because it doesn't always do it either, only sometimes. I think the mark on the Tyre may be age related, but that's just supposition. Either way ill be ordering new three this week too so can get a good look while the wheel is off :)

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 August 2013, 08:45:01 am »
So, new pads arrived last night (ferrodo platinum - very good feeling pads). My god the pads that were in were glazed to hell. Still had a little life on them too (about 4mm), but for peace of mind I fitted the new ones. Took the bike a 10-15 mile ride to bed them in, and I've not heard the noise once since, so its either hiding from me or its pad related.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 11 September 2013, 07:05:35 pm »
still not cured this problem. pads are new and fine, new tyre is on, ive had the wheel off and the speedo drive is both greased and intact (and ive bought a spare as well just incase).

the scoring on the wheels shown above though, is it possible they could be from the fender extender screws? those seem to be sticking out a bit further than i would like. (there is also some slight scuffing on the inside of the front mudguard,maybe the wheel is somehow touching it causing the noise?I dont really see how though?)

Any thoughts? running out of ideas, and parts to change/lookat. worse still is the fact it doesnt happen at every junction, only occasionally (but consistently at the same junctions)

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11 September 2013, 08:08:54 pm »
Bearings? I had a clink sound on changing speed or direction, sporadic as you've described, although not rhythmic with road speed. Was diagnosed as wheel bearings and fixed with their replacement

Andy

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11 September 2013, 08:13:57 pm »
Hmmm. Might be worth looking at aye. The noise is not the sort of noise I would expect from bearings though, and only happens at low speeds really (or wound noise drowns it out at high speed?) I've had it wound up to about 90mph and there's no wheel bearing whine though?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11 September 2013, 08:36:56 pm »
If it is the bearings then it will only get worse as the weather gets wetter.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Paul

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11 September 2013, 09:17:19 pm »
To Mick

I've tested mine again.
And It's intermittent, admittedly.

But as far as I can tell it's down to uneven disc wear and the pads rocking on the central pivot, but only at low speed.

But no loss of braking power..... at least as far as I can tell.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 11 September 2013, 10:57:50 pm »
ive changed my pads as well though, and no change in the noise whatsoever? you would think changing the pads would have at least altered the noise until they wore back into the disks?