Date: 23-05-24  Time: 05:09 am

Author Topic: Full stainless system  (Read 4448 times)

Adrian6171

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZS600 2002
    • View Profile
Full stainless system
« on: 09 May 2013, 10:48:16 am »
O.K guys just priced this up and it,s £248 from Motad including delivery,the thing is do you guys think i,ll need the header gaskets or will i be able to use the existing ones.
Regards Ady

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Full stainless system
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2013, 10:50:14 am »
I'd say you might as well get new ones.  ;)

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2013, 10:56:50 am »
had my downpipes off many times and never replaced the gaskets  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2013, 11:03:27 am »
Fall between Chris and Red if you can afford to have your bike of the road for a little while and take pipes off and inspect them. If gaskets are OK put em back on. I is one for replacing if putting new parts on but can get expensive so i do sometimes just go with whats on already.

Daz
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2013, 11:19:33 am »
Would've thought they came included for that price?
If not i'd get new one's.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Adrian6171

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZS600 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2013, 12:09:11 pm »
Cheers for that guy,s may as well get them,better to be safe than sorry,so how long do you recon to change full system about 30 mins ??

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2013, 12:29:10 pm »
Cheers for that guy,s may as well get them,better to be safe than sorry,so how long do you recon to change full system about 30 mins ??
Ha ha, that is a good question!!!
All depends on how clean your bike is really, and how kind the engine studs/nuts want to be to you?
If it looks a bit iffy get the penetrating fluid on the go before putting the bike to bed every night.

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2013, 12:55:35 pm »
A gasket is designed to seal gaps between 2 surfaces.  Depending on the material the gasket is made of, it may form a seal to the original surface, but not seal to a new one.  You may get away with it, you may not, and I don't have any experience on the exhaust gasket.

If it was me, I'd get new ones and know the job will work properly first time.  Better that then chancing it, finding it doesn't seal and needing the change them again later.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2013, 01:06:49 pm »
When i bought my bike and took it for some work to be done my mechanic said it was blowing a bit around the top of the pipes, so i ordered new gaskets, which are the crush type by the way, and when i went to put them on i found there were two sets in there already!!!  :rolleyes

elbrownos

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2013, 01:22:27 pm »
Header gaskets are only £6 a set, why wouldn't you?

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 May 2013, 02:33:40 pm »
I'd definitely replace them - they are cheap and its worth doing whilst you are there. Use some petroleum jelly to stick them in so that the buggers don't keep falling out, this will also help to create a good seal :)

However, I would be surprised if Motad didn't include them. When I replaced my downpipes (Sandy spares) they came with the new gaskets :)

Adrian6171

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZS600 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 May 2013, 03:02:09 pm »
o.k when i order the exhaust i,ll check first and if they don,t come i,ll then order them. :)

rufus t glasgow

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - 92 divvy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2013, 04:06:28 pm »
I'd definitely replace them - they are cheap and its worth doing whilst you are there. Use some petroleum jelly to stick them in so that the buggers don't keep falling out, this will also help to create a good seal :)

However, I would be surprised if Motad didn't include them. When I replaced my downpipes (Sandy spares) they came with the new gaskets :)

however the gaskets that came with the ss headers i got recently were too small, tbh they don't cost a helluva amoumt so i would plump for some new ones.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2013, 04:19:03 pm »
ahhhhh....now you know.....iam a tight bugger  :lol
One, is never going to be enough.....

Stooby2

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - XJ900 Diversion 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2013, 06:55:56 pm »
so how long do you recon to change full system about 30 mins ??

As Adrian says. It could take you 30mins if the exhaust nuts come off nice and  sweet - for a couple of days before soak the them daily in Plus Gas and if you've access to one, use an impact wrench to try and get them off.

Or it could take a day or two as you round off nuts, snap studs, swear, curse, buy stud extractors, drill out studs, re-tap the holes, buy new studs...

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2013, 07:35:03 pm »

however the gaskets that came with the ss headers i got recently were too small, tbh they don't cost a helluva amoumt so i would plump for some new ones.

Who provided your stainless headers? Figure it would be good to have that information on the thread so that other people know :)

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2013, 09:07:25 pm »
O.K guys just priced this up and it,s £248 from Motad including delivery,the thing is do you guys think i,ll need the header gaskets or will i be able to use the existing ones.
Regards Ady

Hi Ady, dont spend the money on motad genuine buy their venoms... identical in every way including the steel even the box they come in has Motad written all over it. Only difference is the warranty and they havnt knocked the spatter off the welds... check out the thread I started below... there is a video too.

Charlie

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,6564.msg61164.html#msg61164
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

rufus t glasgow

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - 92 divvy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2013, 07:34:42 pm »

Who provided your stainless headers? Figure it would be good to have that information on the thread so that other people know :)

fair point, they are made by delkevic. They fitted straight on without any problems.

I got them from M&P's ebay shop.

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 May 2013, 03:34:04 pm »

fair point, they are made by delkevic. They fitted straight on without any problems.

I got them from M&P's ebay shop.

have the delkevic pipes have balance pipes linking through?
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 May 2013, 05:40:30 pm »
No only the Motad down pipes do.

rufus t glasgow

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - 92 divvy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 May 2013, 08:29:05 pm »
No only the Motad down pipes do.

Well these ones seem to have them.wether they are actual balance pipes remains to be seen.

yamy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 May 2013, 03:40:33 pm »
Would do with no baffle in though you shot me a  few times on Sunday