Date: 28-04-24  Time: 14:32 pm

Author Topic: FZ1S operating temp?  (Read 6293 times)

wibblywobbly

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
FZ1S operating temp?
« on: 06 October 2012, 07:17:23 pm »
Having bought a mint 2006 FZ1S I got it out on the road today for a whizz round. Did 147 miles before the low fuel warning, and as that wasn't riding like a saint, I guess it's ok.

One weird thing, and I have no idea if this is normal for these bikes.

Stuck at temporary traffic lights for around 5 minutes, and noticed the temperature gauge rise from the running temperature of around 70-80 degrees, to almost 90 degrees. It dropped again once I was moving.

Rode home, but on an empty stretch of motorway wound it up to see how it pulled for about a mile? Happy with that, and then cruised the last 3 miles home at 30-40mph.

Pulled up, hit the kill switch, looked down, and the fan is blowing like a good un, and the temperature is reading 110 degrees. It slowly dropped, but took about 3 minutes for the fan to cut out.

Not having had this happen on any previous bikes, I am a tad concerned that I may have a blocked rad, or duff temperature sensor. The bike has done 9000 miles.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers

Rob

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1S operating temp?
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2012, 07:46:03 pm »
I don't think you've got a problem, my 600 runs about 70 degrees at speed, rising to just over 100 in traffic (when the fan cuts in), fan cuts out mid-90's.

Bear in mind the slower the bike is moving, the hotter it'll get due to lack of airflow through the radiator (hence your fan cutting in). I'm guessing your still getting familiar with the bike?

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2012, 07:48:55 pm »
I don't have a FZ1 so can't give a direct comparison, but rising to 90 while idling for 5 minutes from normal running sounds perfectly normal due to lack of air flow. Also temp rising after stopping the engine is normal due to heat soak without the water circulating. However 110 seems a bit high. Maybe it was a bit above normal just before you stopped it. On my fzs600 the temp will rise from about 80 running to 85/90 after stopping it. The reason the fan would run for so long (3 minutes) is because with the engine stopped the water is not circulating, the fan is cooling the water in the radiator but the water in the engine is still soaking up heat from the hot metal. Probably nothing to worry about but it will be interesting to get the opinion of another FZ1 owner.

baggy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2012, 09:43:59 pm »
My 06 FZ1 does exactly the same mate so its either normal or we both have knackered bikes :D
White FZ8

wibblywobbly

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2012, 11:02:57 pm »
Thanks Baggy, that puts my mind at rest. I have owned lots of bikes, and this is the only one that has ever done this. I downloaded the owners manual, and as you say, it seems to be within normal operating temperatures. It just had me a little concerned seeing those digits rise like that.

Thanks again

Rob

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2012, 07:58:35 pm »
Mine '10 FZ1 Fazer runs at between 75-86 on the open road and rises to about 105 in stationary. Depending upon the outside ambient temperature the fan kicks in at 100 and it quickly drops.
Yours sounds perfectly normal. Only need to be concerned if the fan does not kick in  ;)