Date: 05-05-24  Time: 21:38 pm

Author Topic: Noobie needing advice on first Fazer purchase.  (Read 2626 times)

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
Noobie needing advice on first Fazer purchase.
« on: 06 September 2012, 09:47:46 pm »
Hello all,
Bit of a noob, only just passed my DAS last week, and now looking to pick up a Fazer to get me started. Seen a nice FSZ600, '03 model, low miles and seemingly in pristine nick. What should I look out for when I check it out? Been warned to check the downpipes (still original black ones) and sticky brakes. What else?

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Noobie needing advice on first Fazer purchase.
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2012, 09:56:05 pm »
will hopefully have braided brake lines on by now (if not, factor that in, about £100 IIRC)
tyres in good nick, plenty of tread left.
fork seals in good nick, no oil on the upper stanchions after you've bounced the front end
chain slack (might be low miles (how low?), but if its not right, it points to being badly looked after

sure others will be along with more pointers - good choice though :thumbup

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 September 2012, 10:11:08 pm »
Only got 13K on clock. Been garaged a lot, fair weather rider, spoke to chap, admitted it ran crap after no use for a year. But said it's been all serviced now, new plugs, carbs, filters, oil change, battery, and new brake pads recently too.
Tyres, chain and sprocket are still original, but apparently good nick - will give them a good once other though.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2012, 10:24:32 pm »
original tyres, on a 9 year old bike? If that's true, I wouldn't be putting much faith in them - they'll be well on the way to being plastic now, instead of nice sticky rubber. Have a good look at the side walls too, any sign of cracking on there? if so, they need binning (certainly to my mind, no doubt somebody else will say otherwise  ;) ), no point in risking your life, eh?!?

On the flip side, if they are the original rubber, then it says good things about the way its been ridden - I'd be very surprised if there's anybody on here ever got 13k out of a set of boots :eek

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2012, 10:48:34 pm »
Upgraded front sprocket nut?  Old one 9mm wide new one 12mm wide.
Andy

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2012, 08:25:33 am »
Will double check tyres, thought that was what he said, will confirm, inspect thoroughly.

The braided brake lines: What's the advantage here?  More durable or just aesthetics?

Upgraded front sprocket nut? Is this something that maybe in place from new or something that ought to have been done optionally? What's the gain here?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 September 2012, 09:12:43 am »
So far as I'm aware, nobody has had problems with the front sprocket nut until after it has been replaced at least once.
The problem was a slight design flaw: the thread is very fine and the original nut was quite slim so there weren't many turns providing grip... it gets loose and jiggles about on the end of the shaft. If you don't notice this it eventually wrecks the thread on the shaft . Additionally the sprocket is free to wander about sideways damaging itself and the chain.
The solution is the thicker sprocket nut, but beyond a quick check that everything is in place I wouldn't worry about it until you come to change the C&S.
More important is to check the gearbox: the transition from first to second is the one that can give trouble, if it's easier to find a false neutral than second gear... walk away.
Braided lines: just less squidgy than the OE ones. Added to which, I think Yamaha recommend changing them after 4 years anyway, the original rubber ones can crack and perish.

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 September 2012, 09:15:59 am »
i wouldnt be too concerned with the tyres - they can be replaced.

Factor that into the price you are paying for the bike (circa 230 quid)
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2012, 05:19:45 pm »
Do you have a friend with bike knowledge to look at bikes with you. 4 eyes are better than 2! If youre not 100% happy with what you see walk away. Theres plenty more good ones :lol

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2012, 10:31:02 am »
Took my mate along to check bike, he's been into bikes since he left nappies. Turned out to be a beauty of a bike, all spot on, nowt wrong at all. All original, chain/sprocket were absolutely fine, next been pulled apart, gears fine, brakes even, tyres 3 yrs old, still had spiky bits on them! Not a scratch anywhere. Just a fraction of corrosion on  original black downpipes and radiator - but nowt serious. Forks and  seals fine. Original rubber brake leads mind, but look it decent condition. Runs like a beaut, starting fine from cold and from warm. Full service history, never had a single mot advisory.

Almost too good and spotless to use as a commuting work horse. Still should be a great start to biking and should pay off in long run in regards to maintenance and future mot's.

Either way, had to buy it, else my mate would have!

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 September 2012, 05:29:37 pm »
nice one m8 - best to be sure before parting with yer hard earned!
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 September 2012, 01:52:15 pm »
Lots of good advice on here, go for it :)
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 September 2012, 08:19:09 pm »
things id check as well as listen to engine etc are discs for wear(expensive part)even on a low milage bike ,exhaust for rot but even more check for exhaust studs to make sure theres non broken! the exhaust can be changed but again an expensive part,other than that check for any damage from being droped or fallen over etc,think about it as there are others out there and prices will be dropping now its getting back end of the year
have fun