Date: 17-05-24  Time: 21:16 pm

Author Topic: false neutral between 1st and 2nd  (Read 2147 times)

scottyboy2203

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
false neutral between 1st and 2nd
« on: 19 August 2012, 09:07:46 pm »
Hi Foccers, Any advice on managing the false neutral between 1st and 2nd gear? I've noticed it recently when changed up it is very 'clunky' and will occasionally go into neutral instead of 2nd OR grind a little before clunking into 2nd. Either way, it isnt very smooth! Any tips on gear change technique so it doesnt get worse? (cant be arsed swapping engines as its not THAT bad)

philshaq

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: false neutral between 1st and 2nd
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2012, 09:17:40 pm »
I put pressure on the gear lever then shut the throttle and pull the clutch in at the same time and the tension on the lever tends to jump it up into 2nd gear with a positive thud but no grinding or clunking. I noticed I caught a couple of grinding second gears but haven't had it since using this method.

Then I've been expirimenting with clutchless upshifts from 2nd upwards.

Hope that helps.
...Oh Yeah!

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2012, 09:19:54 pm »
Can sometimes be improved by adjusting the gear-lever position... try "down" first for a more positive upshift.

Be warned that one of the adjusters on the linkage bar is left hand thread - if I remember correctly.

Its about 9 years since mine developed a false neutral and severe "clunkyness" and it ain't died yet. :)

scottyboy2203

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2012, 09:38:07 pm »
Major Rant, do you mean adjust the linkage/selector shaft (with the dot on) or the height or the gear lever relative to foot peg?

Thanks guys!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 August 2012, 10:34:44 pm »
I had exactly the same problem a few months back with the false neutral, so i took the bike in to the shop, and was told that i had a 'slightly' worn 'selector drum detent wheel'.

Ordered that and a new 'main selector spring', but then 2 days later Fowler's added a week on to the delivery of the detent wheel, so i cancelled it and just had the spring fitted as i needed the bike back quickly, and it fixed the problem.  :)

***NOTE***
I just noticed you posting earlier about not using the clutch when changing gear?
The clutch has been put there for a reason, i would seriously try and get out of that habit!  :rolleyes

« Last Edit: 19 August 2012, 11:19:24 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 August 2012, 11:33:07 pm »
do you mean adjust the linkage/selector shaft (with the dot on) or the height or the gear lever relative to foot peg?

I mean the height of the gear lever relative to the footpeg. Involves shortening (or legnthening) the bar that joins the lever to the selector shaft.
Now that I think about it, you need to undo both locknuts (one of which is Left Handed) and then rotate the 'core' to change the bar length.

scottyboy2203

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2012, 11:55:34 am »
Thanks Darrsi but I don't clutchless shift often and NEVER from 1st to 2nd as it is far to big a ratio step so isnt very smooth.

How much did it cost you out of interest to get that work done? (its an engine out and cases-split job yes?)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 August 2012, 12:15:08 pm »
No, it's not that major, i know he had the clutch out but no more than that, i honestly can't remember exactly how much but 2, maybe 3 hours max., taking into account he was investigating.
He had it for 3 days because of the wait for the detent wheel, which was then delayed so i didn't bother with it, but it maybe worth replacing that too while it's all apart as i think it's a common issue, but that's obviously your decision!
« Last Edit: 20 August 2012, 12:18:45 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.