Date: 27-04-24  Time: 20:48 pm

Author Topic: fuel tank required  (Read 1744 times)

monkeyrumble

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
fuel tank required
« on: 11 June 2012, 07:12:58 pm »
if anyone out there has a fuel tank for a 2000 model fzs600, preferably silver, with no rust or dents please get in touch. over night mine decided to spring a leak over the garage floor 4 o'clock saturday morning found 3 pinholes on the lower left side. got in touch with webbs yamaha lincoln who quoted £722 for new tank. the wife said no so please help as ebay is a bit iffy to say the least

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: fuel tank required
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2012, 01:52:13 pm »
£722?! Wow.... just wow...

I was quoted £100 from a breakers but ended up paying £45 on eBay. Condition wasnt too bad so id hold out and see what you can get. I have a Red '99 FZS600 and bought a silver tank, my solution was to get it wrapped by a place fairly local. Took a couple of hours (I removed the tank and drained the fuel before hand) and the finish is good, but colour match wasn't perfect - if thats not an issue, then awesome, if it is then try to find a decent reputable place and make sure that they can match the colour. Cost me another £50 but even then it was cheaper than the breakers all in.

Sorry I don't have a tank for you, but hopefully this might offer another opportunity...

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2012, 05:20:43 pm »
I had this exact problem a while ago and repaired the tank.
After cleaning the tank very thoroughly I braised a steel patch over the hole. I then lined the tank with a two part resin called Restom to try to stop the problem recurring. Four years on and it's still good, so I can recommend it.
The resin came as a kit with degreaser and an anti-rust treatment which you use to prepare the inside of the tank before applying the sealant compound itself. It's French, and doesn't advertise a distributor over here, but I found it on eBay from a chap going by the username hotsun314. He's not currently listing the stuff, but I see from his feedback that he did sell some last year so it might be worth an enquiry. Alternatively, you can get it direct from the manufacturer.

monkeyrumble

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2012, 07:51:50 pm »
thanks for the advice, have checked ebay and have noticed one decent looking tank on there but the filler cap is locked with no key?
pretty much resigned to having to get any colour,any advice on matching the silver i.e paint codes and is it wise to use nitro-mors or other paint stripper or is it elbow grease and paper.
signed up to partfinder yesterday as well, no answers as yet but still hopeful.

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2012, 07:58:55 pm »
you could easily jimmy the lock with a screwdriver, or drill it out, as you've got your old cap.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2012, 08:20:33 pm »
Just get one of those Baglux covers fitted and you can have any colour petrol tank underneath

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2012, 08:48:43 pm »
There's a black one on 'Fazerspares' website for £95 in reasonable nick, or a very dented silver one for £45.

http://www.fazerspares.com/catalogue/129-1_bodywork.htm
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.