Date: 27-04-24  Time: 16:53 pm

Author Topic: New kid on the block  (Read 761 times)

acforster22

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
New kid on the block
« on: 06 October 2023, 12:35:26 pm »
Hey all! Thank you for accepting me admins  :D  I’ve recently acquired a 1999 FRS600 Fazer which has been stripped of its fairings and headlight and looks like a cafe racer now… love the look! I just wanted to ask a few questions, I’m looking at getting some after market levers, some replacement sintered brake pads and some frame sliders because I’m looking to make this a track bike for getting used to dragging a knee hehehe. I’ve looked online and can’t seem to find much after market for any of these apart from a K&N air filter replacement and some rubber trumpets. If anyone can help with links (Aus based for reference but I don’t mind at this point) it would be appreciated!
How do these hold up as track bikes after the years¿ what should I watch out for in terms of maintenance as a track bike, any tips¿ thank you endlessly in advance!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: New kid on the block
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2023, 10:35:57 am »
G'Day Mate  :lol Sorry cant help with track bikes but there are some on here who can help.Also  "Fazer which has been stripped of its fairings and headlight" In the UK we generally call that a bike that has been crashed  :D
Search Track Day and member agricola as I think they have done a lot in this area
« Last Edit: 07 October 2023, 10:39:30 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2023, 08:16:25 pm »
G'Day Mate  :lol Sorry cant help with track bikes but there are some on here who can help.Also  "Fazer which has been stripped of its fairings and headlight" In the UK we generally call that a bike that has been crashed  :D
Search Track Day and member agricola as I think they have done a lot in this area

Yes, I take mine onto the track several times a year (as often as I can afford). Mine is the FZ6 S2 model, so later than your FZS600. Mine is currently my only bike, so has to double up for road use too, but I have modified the bike as follows:

Scorpion decat link pipe and twin tailpipes
Hydraulic clutch conversion
Gear indicator
Power Commander 5 and Dyno setup
Crash bungs/frame sliders
One tooth down on the front sprocket (track use only)
Brake lever guard (compulsory in the UK for track riding)

As for the FZS600 on track, Ive never seen one on track, but there are videos on youtube of them. One point to remember though, is that you can take most any bike to a trackday within reason and if its in good enough shape. You dont have to spend money on them. You dont need slick tyres, fancy levers, lap timers etc. I'm sure that some of the boxeye owners on here may also advise you that K&N air filters may require some serious fettling on the carberetors to get the fuelling right. At this stage , my advice would be, get the bike running smoothly as it is now, and in good order because ridden hard on track puts demands on suspension/tyres/engine /rider etc. Do a trackday or two, then think about what you want to do with the bike to improve it for the track, or wether you think another machine would be better for what you want. Before you go on tarck, change the oil and filter, coolant, brake fluid, and the front fork oil. Ensure that the rear shock is in working order and tyres are modern and up to the task. Let us know how you get on, its blisteringly good fun

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2023, 08:22:04 pm »

Yes, I take mine onto the track several times a year (as often as I can afford). Mine is the FZ6 S2 model, so later than your FZS600. Mine is currently my only bike, so has to double up for road use too, but I have modified the bike as follows:

Scorpion decat link pipe and twin tailpipes
Hydraulic clutch conversion
Gear indicator
Power Commander 5 and Dyno setup
Crash bungs/frame sliders
One tooth down on the front sprocket (track use only)
Brake lever guard (compulsory in the UK for track riding)

As for the FZS600 on track, Ive never seen one on track, but there are videos on youtube of them. One point to remember though, is that you can take most any bike to a trackday within reason and if its in good enough shape. You dont have to spend money on them. You dont need slick tyres, fancy levers, lap timers etc. I'm sure that some of the boxeye owners on here may also advise you that K&N air filters may require some serious fettling on the carberetors to get the fuelling right. At this stage , my advice would be, get the bike running smoothly as it is now, and in good order because ridden hard on track puts demands on suspension/tyres/engine /rider etc. Do a trackday or two, then think about what you want to do with the bike to improve it for the track, or wether you think another machine would be better for what you want. Before you go on tarck, change the oil and filter, coolant, brake fluid, and the front fork oil. Ensure that the rear shock is in working order and tyres are modern and up to the task. Let us know how you get on, its blisteringly good fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cr4TUuk4_M

K&N just pops straight in and tends to improve things immediately, in my opinion.
Balancing the carbs would sweeten things out, but not a necessity, as long as the bike is generally in good shape.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2023, 08:32:54 pm »
There was one raced in the TT about 15 years ago, it finished the race but don't know anything else about it. Good track day bike, more than capable of outbraking many sports bikes of the same era and a well set up one is still capable of embarrasing a few sportsbike on the road. The 110 front 160 is a good combination for quick turn in and with only 95hp you can gun it  out of corners early.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2023, 09:15:24 pm »
Hey all! Thank you for accepting me admins  :D 
Welcome.