Date: 07-05-24  Time: 01:09 am

Author Topic: help! strange noise  (Read 3649 times)

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: help! strange noise
« Reply #25 on: 09 March 2017, 06:23:15 pm »
Cheers for the posts. For clarity the manifold was blowing a bit and the plan to nip the nuts up was to slacken off a touch, scoot with wd40 then nip up.  When turning anticlockwise to loosen, the nuts rounded with almost no force at all. The central manifold nuts are very badly corroded. Due to the risk of shearing and coupled with the fact that I have to watch rugby and drink beer this weekend said bike will be visiting the local garage next Wednesday. "loosey lefty righty tighty". 😁

daviee

« Reply #26 on: 09 March 2017, 07:01:38 pm »
let us know how much it sets you back to get it done

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 March 2017, 07:29:28 pm »
Cheers for the posts. For clarity the manifold was blowing a bit and the plan to nip the nuts up was to slacken off a touch, scoot with wd40 then nip up.  When turning anticlockwise to loosen, the nuts rounded with almost no force at all. The central manifold nuts are very badly corroded. Due to the risk of shearing and coupled with the fact that I have to watch rugby and drink beer this weekend said bike will be visiting the local garage next Wednesday. "loosey lefty righty tighty". 😁
Ahhh now it makes sense, watch out because they may snap them and then want to charge you the extra for fixing. A few weeks with a penetrating oil as mentioned earlier would be the best way to go, I used an oil for cleaning guns and a is called Kroil  (creeping oil )its very thin and smells a bit of nampther from what I remember nampther smelling like , I applied it for weeks on to the nuts with a syringe to reach right in and behind the bracket collars also, my nuts came off ok but the bike has not seen rain for 17 years       
« Last Edit: 09 March 2017, 07:30:50 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 March 2017, 08:02:12 pm »
Ahhh now it makes sense, watch out because they may snap them and then want to charge you the extra for fixing. A few weeks with a penetrating oil as mentioned earlier would be the best way to go, I used an oil for cleaning guns and a is called Kroil  (creeping oil )its very thin and smells a bit of nampther from what I remember nampther smelling like , I applied it for weeks on to the nuts with a syringe to reach right in and behind the bracket collars also, my nuts came off ok but the bike has not seen rain for 17 years       

It"s probably dying to go and have a good splash about in the rain.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 March 2017, 09:25:07 pm »
Hedging my bets here. Think there is less chance of them shearing them than me. Will let you know how it goes and cost etc.

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 09 March 2017, 10:01:42 pm »
When you've done with the exhaust studs, I'd also check for a loose spark plug !

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 15 March 2017, 08:42:10 pm »
Got closure today. 4 exhaust gaskets, 8 nuts, 2 studs and 1.5hrs labour - £100. Pretty much what I guestimated.
Better than me shearing studs in the engine block 😉

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 March 2017, 10:02:59 pm »
Rounding is better than shearing a stud!  Get some stainless done nuts ordered and until they arrive every time the bike is parked spray the nuts with your preferred release agent

Very very good advice

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 15 March 2017, 10:23:49 pm »
I had a flapping/clicking sort of noise once when riding home after a long trip, I stopped several times to try and find the source of the noise to no avail. So I pulled into a service area and had a cup of tea whilst giving the bike a though check over, found nothing finished my tea got back on the bike and no noise, a mystery.

About 3 weeks later I jumped on the bike just to pop down to my local town, Petersfield in Hants, and foc me the noise was back, I sat at home that night thinking about those two trips and the only common thing between the two trips was I wore my old Duchinni Helmet and not my LS2 Convert.
Now this is the embarrassing bit, it transpired that the noise was in fact the helmet strap tapping away on the back of my collar and the back of the helmet, The old Duchinni is one of those double D ring type fittings on the strap and I had not done the little popper up at the end of the strap, on my first trip when I noticed the noise I must have done the popper up after my cup of tea stop and again 3 weeks later when it happened again.

Now the upshot of this post is, apart from not coming out of all this in a very great light is, we often think the worse because we love out bikes and are fearful that something is going drastically wrong.
This is what I thought, is my cam chain focced, is it a small end bearing breaking up maybe a wheel bearing cos the noise gets less as I slow down and stops when the bike is stationary. No its a wayward helmet strap  :rolleyes

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 15 March 2017, 10:36:29 pm »
😁  an even cheaper fix than a manifold!

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 15 March 2017, 10:55:30 pm »

I have made a profound discovery and have acted upon it.

My old socket set has been confined to the back of the shed, who the f--k thought it was a good idea to make sockets with a 12 point fitting when nuts and bolts have six points. they have a much less meaty grip on the bolt and Yamaha ferrous cheese bolts lose their corners very easily, so I purchased me a new socket set with 6 point sockets they are so much better than their 12 point cousins. Fuck you Hilka you are confined to the deep dark corners of spanner hell. :eek

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 16 March 2017, 09:43:19 am »

I have made a profound discovery and have acted upon it.

My old socket set has been confined to the back of the shed, who the f--k thought it was a good idea to make sockets with a 12 point fitting when nuts and bolts have six points. they have a much less meaty grip on the bolt and Yamaha ferrous cheese bolts lose their corners very easily, so I purchased me a new socket set with 6 point sockets they are so much better than their 12 point cousins. Fuck you Hilka you are confined to the deep dark corners of spanner hell. :eek

They kind of meant well, but in reality a 6 sided socket shits all over a 12 sided one.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.