Date: 27-04-24  Time: 21:39 pm

Author Topic: FZS 600 vs MT09 vs SV650  (Read 4808 times)

Pike

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Lewis Tisdall
FZS 600 vs MT09 vs SV650
« on: 27 August 2016, 03:21:25 pm »
Has anyone here test ridden or owned a MT09/Tracer or SV650?

I'm thinking of getting one or the other, maybe instead of the Fazer or maybe in addition.

What did you think of them, pro's and con's vs FZS?

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: FZS 600 vs MT09 vs SV650
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2016, 09:21:45 pm »
I've ridden my mates SV. It looks gorgeous but feels slow and uncomfortable compared to the fazer.
Although the SV was a little more torquey at low revs and is a v-twin, if you like that sort of thing / engine sound.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2016, 11:22:44 pm »
I sold my Gen 2 earlier this year and bought a Tracer and I love it.
Yes it's got a little less power and torque than the Fazer but only a little but it's nearly 30Kg lighter so the difference is probably negligible.
I've recently done a 10 day tour of the Alps on it and the upright riding position is amazing.
The seat though, is just as uncomfortable as all the other bikes I have ever owned. Regular breaks to relieve the pressure points is the only answer.
You will get 200 miles out of a tank of fuel unless you hammer it everywhere in which case the tank range will vary considerably.
Do I regret selling the Fazer and buying the Tracer ?  No Way !!
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

Pike

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Lewis Tisdall
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2016, 08:59:41 pm »
The fazer feels so slow to me now, I feel like it accelerates like a slightly fast car, I don't get sucked back into my seat, but the speedo will be at 100mph quickly still.

Doesn't the finish, fueling and suspension really annoy you on the MT09/tracer though?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

misterjayb1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2016, 08:24:06 am »
If the finish, fueling and suspension annoyed me on a bike then personally I would be walking straight past it.. The Tracer does float my boat on looks, but havnt ridden it..
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2016, 08:40:56 am »
Dont really see how you can compare the SV650 with the Tracer 900. Perhaps with the new Tracer 700?
Think Yamaha had resolved the fuelling issue that affected early MTO9s by the time they announced the Tracer version.
Suspension---Not just Yamaha but even the likes of Triumph & BMW are guilty of specifying a very basic shock to , as they would have you believe, keep the OTR price down. Suspect the real reason is to increase their margins. Personally I would cheerfully pay an extra couple of hundred quid for an OEM item that didnt have to be binned from new & further money laid out just to make the bike handle the way it should in the first place!

misterjayb1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2016, 12:01:09 pm »
Maybe the v-strom 650 against the tracer 700 would be an even closer comparison..
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 September 2016, 10:08:48 am »
Are you looking to increase cc towards a 1000cc, or are you just wanting a different/another bike.

I rode in in order, SV650, FZS600, GSXR750 and now own a FZS1000.

My aim was to get to grips with 1000cc, the SV650 was a good learner bike but would not consider it instead or as well as a FZXS600.

Pike

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Lewis Tisdall
« Reply #8 on: 04 September 2016, 08:15:23 pm »
Bit of both really. I do kinda fancy a naked bit also want faired. Definitely need more torque and top end. Maybe a monster 821

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2016, 11:15:02 pm »
Bit of both really. I do kinda fancy a naked bit also want faired. Definitely need more torque and top end. Maybe a monster 821

Pike...you've got it all wrong. What you need is one of these.....the MV Agusta Brutale  :D

Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Grant

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 September 2016, 05:18:04 pm »
I had been giving the Tracer (900) some serious thought too, but reading into it the Tracer is limited to 115MPH as it seems to have a serious "Weaving" issue (quite a bit on Youtube and various forums about this).

Now, not that riding at 115MPH is an every day thing I know, but it seems that there are some inherent stability issues associated with the design of the bike, which I personally think Yamaha should have sorted before releasing for sale, and I don't want to spend any hard earnt cash on a flawed bike.

So I'm now looking at the new Kawasaki Versys 1000 and need to get a test ride when I can get some time (and money), but will probably be next year now as the daughter has just started driving and the insurance is flipping daylight robbery.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2016, 05:18:48 pm by Grant »

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 September 2016, 06:49:16 pm »
Has anyone here test ridden or owned a MT09/Tracer or SV650?

I'm thinking of getting one or the other, maybe instead of the Fazer or maybe in addition.

What did you think of them, pro's and con's vs FZS?

All three are completely different bikes.

IMO neither MT09 or SV650 is a Fazer replacement.

In the past I have ridden SV650. It is a twin engine. With lower power 75hp compared to 96hp the Fazer. That is not neccessaily a bad thing, depends what you want from a bike. Twins have more low rev poke. But you miss the inline four Fazer screaming engine. Which is a major plus and a fun factor for the Fazer. Assuming you are looking at the latest SV650S with fairing - nice bike with very low seat and if you are a big guy will feel not so roomy. But it has ABS and you can find newer, less mileage bikes. Suzuki gears are smoother then the Fazer.

I test rode both MT09 and the Tracer 900. Nice modern bikes. Except I will not replace the Fazer with it. On a paper it is a better bike. 115hp. Better then the similar Triumph 800 xrx. The big no for me it is the triple engine. I hate them passionately. You have the feeling you are riding a sewing machine. The bike moves as it should be. There is a little hesitation. Again you miss the inline four Fazer screaming engine. If you do a lot of boring motorway touring get the Tracer 900 by all means. But then you will be better with the new XJR1300 for touring.

The only bike I can replace the Fazer and still feel happy is the MT10.

My guess is MT10 will be best for you too then  :lol the best value for money bike ever!

Looking at your last post:

The fazer feels so slow to me now, I feel like it accelerates like a slightly fast car...

No way, somethin wrong with your Fazer. Try 1 tooth less on the front sprocket it will give you better acceleration.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2016, 06:56:37 pm by Val »
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 September 2016, 11:49:30 pm »
I've had the pleasure of riding all of the above on several occasions, so I'll give my 2p worth. The Fazer as we know is now getting on for 18 years young. No great shake, but technology has moved on a bit since then. Don't get me wrong, I love 'em, I've had 6 of them (4 x box eyes, a gen 1 , and Gen 2 thou). Comfy, handle ok, economical, fairly pokey for a 600/4!
Cheap suspension, terrible headlights, looking a bit dated now.

The SV650..... I'm not a great fan of v-twins, but the 's' version is quite fun to ride, the 'n' is a bit boring!!! Not great on fuel, cramped riding position, it's a cheap v-twin sports bike basically. It's a bit of a funny bike because it's 75bhp power feels like so much more as it's very torquey.

The MT-09..... What can I say? It's the only bike that I've ever ridden that I wanted to buy new!!! Mega punchy engine with all the torque of a twin, but revs like a 600/4!!!! Handles ok, great on fuel, superb ergonomics! Huge grins all round!!!
RIDE ONE!!!!!

The Tracer. Yeah it was ok, didn't set my heart on fire though. Same engine as the MT-09,  just carrying 25+kilos more lard! So not quite as much fun. Screen is atrociously noisy!! It was painful!! 200ish miles to a tank, and a big padded seat say it's a better tourer!
I ride a tuned Tiger 1050, and it just feels like a lightweight version of the tiger, not such a bad thing, as I love my tiger.

Best thing to do is go and have a ride, but if I was to buy a fun bike, or short commuter, my money would be on the MT-09, possibly a sport tracker, or street rally. If I could afford it, I'd have an XSR900 in anniversary yellow myself, and I'd buy one tomorrow!

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!