Date: 22-05-24  Time: 11:15 am

Author Topic: Floppy wing mirror FZ1S 2008  (Read 2661 times)

melons

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet900
    • View Profile
Floppy wing mirror FZ1S 2008
« on: 15 July 2016, 02:40:07 pm »
Hi
Have to squeeze the bike through a narrow gate at home so every day I carefully fold the left hand mirror up (holding the stem) in order to get through. When I first got the bike (about 7 months ago) the mirror mechanism was nice an tight, but it has over time become pretty loose.

I've done a forum search but can only find reference to this issue on the FZ6 forum, apparently the 600's pivot mechanism is held tight with a rivet rather than a nut & bolt.

I've taken off the side panel and found the two bolts that fix to the fairing are tight, but before I strip the mirror off, does anyone know if the FZ1S pivot is simply riveted (in which case I may just bite the bullet and buy a new mirror), or fitted with something more adjustable

TIA :)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Floppy wing mirror FZ1S 2008
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2016, 02:59:12 pm »
Hey!
I had the exact same problem with the right hand side mirror on my 600 FZS Foxeye, as you say it is riveted, my mirror would swing back in at anything over Fast MPH, the trouble was when i slowed down the mirror did not return to the normal spot and letting go of the throttle at about a bit over 70 MPH to push it back so I could see behind me had the throttle shutting down and a rapid drop in motion.  I tried tightening the rivet
up by removing the mirror and gently tapping the rivet with the hope of tightening it up, but to no avail I'm afraid.
I purchased new mirrors about £30 a pair 'For the Yamaha' on eBay and they were about as much use a a chocolate fireguard.
I ended up drilling the rivet out of the original and replaced it with a 6mm stainless bolt and Nylock S/Steel nut.
It works but still not as good as it was originally.
« Last Edit: 15 July 2016, 07:20:36 pm by tommyardin »

melons

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2016, 04:10:51 pm »
Thanks, turns out the Toyo mirrors on my FZ1S are riveted too. I asked Woodford Motorcycles who sold me the bike how much Yamaha charge for a replacement OE & it's just under £120 per mirror :eek ,  fortunately being nice guys they've reset the rivet for gratis and all is well again (atleast for now) :) 

FZ1obp

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Husaberg TE300
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2016, 06:22:34 pm »
I've had the same probs - cured by very gently re-riveting the rivet with two sockets in the vice. Just adding a little clamping force on the rivet to take up the slack.

Have to do this once in a while - all good though!