Date: 06-05-24  Time: 10:00 am

Author Topic: Silver Engine Painting  (Read 1632 times)

Tatters

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
Silver Engine Painting
« on: 25 May 2016, 01:42:21 pm »
 HI ,

I have got a 04 1000, ( Gen 1 )  and I need to touch up the pain on the engine as its started to flake and will start to let the look of the bike down .

I’ve been reading on here and the below paint seems to be the chosen option for best match ,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simoniz-Very-Termperature-Paint-500ml/dp/B003VGNQX8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Now ..I’ve never spray painted , what would be the best method to do ..
·         Do I have to rub down the parts I would like to spray .
·         After spraying people have been saying that it needs to be “ Baked “ on .. Could I use a hot air gun to help the drying process as some have used this .. but you never hear back the out come .

Sorry for the stupid questions ! I am a complete novice  :)

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
Re: Silver Engine Painting
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2016, 05:52:48 pm »
Lightly rub down , use engine cleaner , lots of masking tape , no primer needed , i think i warmed up the engine to harden the paint ,  i followed the instructions on the can .   

Tatters

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2016, 06:41:24 pm »
Ah super .. Many thanks for the advice . I have ordered the pain today so should be here by the weekend .. With a bit of luck I can make it look a bit better  :)

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2016, 10:51:17 pm »
I repainted the engine last year

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,17483.msg201444.html#msg201444

The Simoniz is excellent. Very easy to apply and once the engine has been run a couple of times to harden, very hard wearing.

My top tips would be

1) Expect to take a couple of weekends preparation. If the front of the engine is a bad as mine was, it's a long and tedious job, but absolutely crucial. You want zero grease, grime and oil on any of the surfaces or it'll be a job wasted.
2) Masking up also takes a long time. I just used newspaper and masking tape.
3) Take the forks off. It's not hard and makes access a lot easier. Obviously the radiator has to come off too and you may as well repaint the engine crossbar while you're at it
4) Take the cam cover off and do it separately. I stuck mine in the oven to bake the paint on. 120 degrees for 20 mins
5) Actually painting it takes around 10 minutes per coat! I did 3 coats in the end.

The results are bloody brilliant though. It's very satisfying once it's all back together and gleaming.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2016, 10:53:27 pm by AyJay »