Date: 23-05-24  Time: 20:42 pm

Author Topic: heated grips install  (Read 2147 times)

raymondcallaghan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
heated grips install
« on: 22 November 2014, 07:04:38 pm »
I have bought a set of oxford heated grips for the fazer 8 but would prefer to connect then via a relay on the ign instead of direct connection to the battery.

doe you know where it is best to take a power feed from for the relay that is ign feed so when I remove keys I know the grips are off.

thanks in advance

Raymond

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: heated grips install
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2014, 08:34:01 pm »
I normally use the side light live if mounted forward or the rear light if under the seat.

I normally use one relay to power a connector block which is then used for all my accessories. Saves having tons of relays under the seat :)

raymondcallaghan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2014, 09:34:25 pm »
thanks
raymond

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2014, 10:28:42 am »
I had Oxford grips fitted to my bike and they took the feed direct from the battery, unlike my XJR1300 where the feed was the headlights. I wasn't keen on the idea in case I forgot to turn them off. The dealer said something like Oxford recommend not using anything other than direct from the battery, in order to get the best amount of juice down the wire for maximum performance. Oxford reckoned they had had people reporting they didn't get up to maximum temperature otherwise.

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2014, 11:14:49 am »

The dealer said something like Oxford recommend not using anything other than direct from the battery, in order to get the best amount of juice down the wire for maximum performance.

The feed will be direct from the battery. The relay just cuts that feed when the ignition is off via a switched live :)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2014, 02:48:28 pm »
If you've got the newer ones, you won't need it mate. They've got a voltage regulator in them, and if the voltage drops a bit they go into a power saving mode (tends to activate if you're sitting in traffic for example) - if the voltage gets below a certain point (can't remember the exact number off the top of my head but its in the manual I think) then they just turn off, so you should be okay going straight from the battery!