Date: 17-05-24  Time: 15:43 pm

Author Topic: Guy Martin's Spitfire  (Read 5071 times)

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
Re: Guy Martin's Spitfire
« Reply #25 on: 17 October 2014, 11:13:44 am »
But surely the best bit - Series 5 versus the .50 cal  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
In my dreams.....
That was probably the most remarkable thing, didn't look too bad from the front but the exit holes behind!
Just imagine sitting in a Messerschmitt with that lot coming your way  :eek

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 October 2014, 12:26:34 pm »
Not even the exit holes, (kinda expected that) but the way it had ripped the engine apart :eek

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 October 2014, 04:42:57 pm »
Guy is a likeable "personality" but isnt the most articulate presenter is he? There is only so much "enthusiasm" can make up for a lack of ability to get a complex subject across to a broad viewing public. Like many on here I guess its the technical & historical aspects that I am interested in but your typical average member of the viewing public isnt interested to this extent.
Programme planners must target the largest possible audience so this requires a general "dumbing down" of the subject to include the viewers with limited attention spans (Is this why they have to interrupt progs every 15 mins with mind numbing adverts?)

I reckon Edd China from off 'Wheeler Dealers' would be good at this sort of programme.They have a pretty good balance of entertainment & technical stuff on there.At least he shows how to dismantle and recondition/replace stuff.But then I suppose Discovery & Quest are more niche channels.If it was on a more mainstream channel it would prob be more like 'For the love of cars' where nearly all the technical stuff got glossed over :(.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 October 2014, 07:05:36 pm »
Guy is a likeable "personality" but isnt the most articulate presenter is he? There is only so much "enthusiasm" can make up for a lack of ability to get a complex subject across to a broad viewing public. Like many on here I guess its the technical & historical aspects that I am interested in but your typical average member of the viewing public isnt interested to this extent.
Programme planners must target the largest possible audience so this requires a general "dumbing down" of the subject to include the viewers with limited attention spans (Is this why they have to interrupt progs every 15 mins with mind numbing adverts?)

I reckon Edd China from off 'Wheeler Dealers' would be good at this sort of programme.They have a pretty good balance of entertainment & technical stuff on there.At least he shows how to dismantle and recondition/replace stuff.But then I suppose Discovery & Quest are more niche channels.If it was on a more mainstream channel it would prob be more like 'For the love of cars' where nearly all the technical stuff got glossed over :( .

+ 1 for Ed China!  Hes a knowledgeable bloke who can explain stuff clearly without tripping over his words. Not saying Guy doesnt know what hes doing---he obviously does but its the way he tells it with all the repetition. Having said that Id dearly love to see him start up his own Merlin engine!! :lol

BIG MAC

• Thinks custom titles are stupid!
  • GP Hero
  • New site same sh1te ;-)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ1 Fazer, FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 October 2014, 10:42:57 am »
As my father was a spitfire driver and I believe is in the log for the one hanging in Glasgow Art Gallery (LA198) https://www.flickr.com/photos/18496927@N00/4542272217 ... any spitfire that is saved should I think be returned to serviceable use. It's unthinkable to me that there are spits all over the World which aren't 'here'
To my mind an RAF squadron of spitfires would be every bit as big a draw as the red arrows and serve to remind us of 'The Few'
The Frying Scotsman

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 19 October 2014, 08:17:02 pm »
But surely the best bit - Series 5 versus the .50 cal  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
In my dreams.....
That was probably the most remarkable thing, didn't look too bad from the front but the exit holes behind!
Just imagine sitting in a Messerschmitt with that lot coming your way  :eek

Problem was - the Messerschmitt had 20mm cannon. A tad bigger than the .50cal and they had that from the outset. Spits only had .50 cal after a few years. They were originally fitted with .303 calibre machine guns  :eek :eek :eek

BIG MAC

• Thinks custom titles are stupid!
  • GP Hero
  • New site same sh1te ;-)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ1 Fazer, FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19 October 2014, 08:35:41 pm »
20mm cannon was ok if you hot the target and didn't empty your magazines too quickly. .50 calibre is about 13mm and has plenty enough energy to stitch drill an enemy aircraft. Cannon fire will demolish an engine  block whereas the lighter ammo may not be as effective however 'Time on the button' is increased weight for weight in the number of rounds available. Spitfire pilots were taught to be economic with ammo. Then again the BF109 had fuel injection which gives a theoretical advantage in inverted flight...well it did until those fiendishly clever Tommies figured out carbs that work upside down.
The Frying Scotsman