Date: 01-05-24  Time: 17:19 pm

Author Topic: Isle of Man & Road Racing  (Read 1336 times)

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
Isle of Man & Road Racing
« on: 03 June 2014, 05:21:55 pm »

Isle of Man races

« on: Today at 05:04:29 PM »
Just posted this on another forum be interested in others opinions.

Just to move away from the thread and not showing any disrespect to the late Bob Price sadly killed at this years TT.
I mentioned in that post that in my opinion it was time that there was an age restriction applied for competitors.
It is only a couple of years since the last older competitors died 2011 also 2012 and now 2014
Bill Currie&Kevin Morgan, Bill was I believe 66? and Kevin Morgan 57, 2012 Trevor Ferguson must have been in his late 50's ? which prompted Ryan Farrquar to retire (his uncle) and now Bob Price at 65. There may be more than this, but these do stick in my mind.
Road racing is my favourite form of motorcycle sport. I am fast becoming disillusioned with it now. Just did a google search on the IOM TT/Manx GP races. Since 2000 there have been 47 fatalities involving riders, there have been a few spectator deaths as well.
Since the start of the Road Racing 2014 season between Ireland & IOM events 4 races so far we have had 3 deaths. One at the Tandragee 100 in May , 1 at the NW 200 in May and now to date 1 at the TT.
I know no one is putting a gun to a riders head and making them do it, BUT maybe enough is enough.
I would hate to see road racing stopped so perhaps it is time to take a look at seeing if more can be done to improve safety, I know it is on going all the time BUT MORE AND MORE HAS TO BE DONE.
Would it be feasable to add chicanes at areas with a history of being a black spot. They have done a lot of this at the NW 200 all be it taking some of the excitment away from that event but it has cut down on a lot of bad accidents. Okay I know Simon Andrews died there this year , strange one that happened on a straight,the run down to the Metroploe (bumpy section or was two years ago)
Is there a need for Superbikes at Road Races ? 210 MPH. I know it is the most exciting class or usually is but?
Just my opinion, it really saddens me when I see or hear about any rider who pays the ultimate price while providing me and 1000's of other lovers of this CRUEL SPORT that takes no prisoners.
Sorry if I have waffled on a bit but I am sure you get the point of my thread.
Lew
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

Ian-man

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Isle of Man & Road Racing
« Reply #1 on: 03 June 2014, 08:02:25 pm »
It is bitter sweet watching the TT racing then hearing of injuries and fatalities. We lost Carl bomber Harris today, RIP.

* Crash.Net racing newsfeeds

MotoGP

World Superbikes

British Superbikes

RSS to JavaScript