Date: 04-05-24  Time: 06:27 am

Author Topic: Camping  (Read 53199 times)

demic77

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Camping
« Reply #75 on: 24 February 2014, 11:52:22 am »
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-turini-200-touring-tent-p290272

I'm looking for a bike specific tent this year and clocked this on Go Outdoors site. What do you experienced bike campers reckon?

It will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end.

ajmes1

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 24 February 2014, 12:44:57 pm »
I saw that one,  depends if you want to get your bike away like that.

If I'm honest,  for that sort of money you can get lighter 2 man tents that pack a lot smaller.  It honestly depends on what features you want.  That one would be great to get your bike out of the elements. 

AndyL

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 24 February 2014, 01:18:56 pm »
My thought was that

Plus points is that it's going to have space to cook inside (though I wouldn't use a petrol stove inside) and is tall enough to sit in comfort. One the downside it's fairly heavy and is too short to stand up in.

I've spent a lot of time in tents and can't make up my mind if I'd really like it or if I would find that it's neither a compact tent that's easy to travel with or a big enough to use when base camping with a car.

I guess I would choose it if going camping with a couple of bikes for longer stays.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 24 February 2014, 01:27:50 pm »
Very interesting tent design Demic. I can't comment on that particular one, but I've got a Vango of very similar proportions, just the bike storage area is the "living" area, and it's an excellent tent. It's also 3 man which gives a VERY generous sleeping area for one!

I also have a Vango 2 man tent which I also rate quite highly. Good tents and (usually) quite good value for money.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 24 February 2014, 08:23:45 pm »
having done a few camping trips now I personally wouldn't want my bike quite that close. Sooner or later the bike will get wet so I wouldn't bother about it being covered. I like the bike two or three metres away so I can run a power lead from it to supply lights/ chargers etc but far enough away to not risk landing on you on a sodden field.
just my thoughts...

I use a Coleman Rock Springs 3 or a Coleman Coastline 3
« Last Edit: 24 February 2014, 08:29:59 pm by dickturpin »

demic77

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 24 February 2014, 09:59:27 pm »
Thanks guys  :)  I reckon I'll look for a decent standard 2-3 man tent initially and see how that goes.
It will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 07 March 2014, 03:42:30 am »
liking this
not sure if it's bike friendly (over the Alps) or if it can be modified to become so.
thoughts?

http://youtu.be/gQyU4lokVe4

vid quite boring but I did chuckle at points :)

« Last Edit: 07 March 2014, 03:43:44 am by midden »
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 16 March 2014, 11:25:12 pm »

Take a seat!
Nothing worse than cooking on your knees on grass and not being able to sit down and have a brew.

I tried out my new kit this weekend, went over to Weymouth. The grass was still damp and muddy even though its not rained for a while. I will be getting a fold up stool or similar, my knees cant take a lot of squating over a stove. 

Other than that, everything was fine. It was about 8c over night, fairly warm for the time of year. My sleeping bag was warm enough, not even a shiver. The petrol stove worked well and can boil water for a cuppa quickly yet very controllable for simmering, didn't burn the porridge.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 17 March 2014, 06:12:47 pm »
I'm thinking about trying one of these camping chairs, as I'd like to have something with a back, without getting too heavy/bulky.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390630765872?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649&clk_rvr_id=604112002446

Not too expensive, not sure about quality, but worth a try I reckon. Or does anyone know of a better one?

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 17 March 2014, 06:41:08 pm »
I use one that folds up that i paid a tenner for in saisburys at snetterton a couple of years ago. The important thing for me is its about two inches narrower than my mirrors.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 17 March 2014, 09:50:45 pm »
I bought one of these lunchtime. http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/iowa-stool-p152312 

Packs away to 55 * 29 * 2cm. Seat height is 40cm when folded out.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 17 March 2014, 10:04:07 pm »
Whatever you do, don't buy one of those three legged, no back, tripod stool things. Almost impossible to sit on it without one of the leg tops invading your sphincter.

Had a few cans and on uneven ground? You WILL fall of it as well!

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
  • loving the new ivanised beast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 17 March 2014, 11:56:54 pm »
exelent thread guys ,,learning lots ,, have most of my kit although a lot cheaper than some of your guys kit ,,might have to learn the hard way first ,,like to hear more ideas on the cooking side though,,how many different dishes can be made using boiling water ??? roll on summer !!!!
please god let the sun keep shining

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 18 March 2014, 07:10:55 am »
exelent thread guys ,,learning lots ,, have most of my kit although a lot cheaper than some of your guys kit ,,might have to learn the hard way first ,,like to hear more ideas on the cooking side though,,how many different dishes can be made using boiling water ??? roll on summer !!!!

You can always fry stuff - bacon, eggs etc. Some of the tinned curries can be quite good. I've used tinned chicken curry, and added tinned new potatoes and tinned pineapple and my own spice mix to pep it up a bit, and some of the chunky soups are ok - mostly options I've used whilst backpacking, as you'll eat anything after a hard day in the hills! And you can get dehydrators so that you can cook your favourite meals at home and turn them into dried meals that you rehydrate and heat. Just had a quick look for these but can't find the ones I read about before; most of them are just for fruit and veg it seems but I'm sure I've seen ones that can do cooked foods. You could really cook casseroles, curries etc outdoors, but who could really be bothered? Too much kit  you'd have to carry, too time consuming when really you want to be out on the road. For me, bike camping is best combined with cafes and restaurants  :D

Personally, I don't think wild camping mixes well with biking in Britain, except maybe for parts of Scotland, but to bring in another question, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who knows different  :)

ajmes1

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 18 March 2014, 07:21:46 am »
Another option is the boil in a bag meals, used these of d of e quite successfully, most are high energy. They can soon add up though if you buying loads.

Depends on the power of your burner, I've found some of the really cheap ones can take forever to just boil a kettle!

If it's just hot water you want, have you considered a Kelly kettle? I've used one when at rallies. You fill it with wood/pine cones/ any material you can get burning.

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 18 March 2014, 07:33:11 am »
I tend not to cook when bike camping except for a fry up. I dont realy do wild camping as sites with showers and toilets are cheap enough and i dont fancy road kill haha.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 18 March 2014, 09:48:07 am »
One suggestion I had was to ask my local butcher to vacuum pack meat for me. Apparently then it'll keep for some time, depending on the meat. Good idea?

Andy

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 22 March 2014, 06:08:06 pm »
I was in Towsure shop today and clocked this Vango 3 man tent, £125, last years model. Its quite big considering the size it packs down to, 49cm * 19cm. Height inside is 120cm so you can sit up comfortably.

http://www.towsure.com/product/Vango_Halo_300_Tent

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 22 March 2014, 06:11:23 pm »
I tend not to cook when bike camping except for a fry up. I dont realy do wild camping as sites with showers and toilets are cheap enough and i dont fancy road kill haha.

Why dont you just go to local greasy spoon for a fry up????

I bet that it's coz somehow a wild fry up tastes better?

Like even though i stopped smoking 6 years ago i still cant kick the memory of how good an outdoor camping smokarette feels. 8)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 22 March 2014, 06:13:31 pm »
I was in Towsure shop today and clocked this Vango 3 man tent, £125, last years model. Its quite big considering the size it packs down to, 49cm * 19cm. Height inside is 120cm so you can sit up comfortably.

http://www.towsure.com/product/Vango_Halo_300_Tent

& i prefer to keep my sit up's to the gym & my lie downs to camping :b

Tidy though...i got a vango force 10, heavy as foc but im tempted to strap it to the fazer anyway....not as heavy as the missus & she aint invited anyway. :lol

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 22 March 2014, 06:44:43 pm »
Some quite good deals at Amazon on the Phad 2 or Phad 3 at the moment.....I personally use cheaper tents than these but I have read several reports from bikers who recommend them.
« Last Edit: 22 March 2014, 06:57:43 pm by dickturpin »

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 23 March 2014, 10:07:41 am »
like to hear more ideas on the cooking side though,,how many different dishes can be made using boiling water ??? 

Custard if you use Birds instant custard powder  :lol

I've been using that in 'instant' drop scone (Scotch pancakes) recipe for breakfast. I doubt I'll be having a fry up each day on my next trip.

The usual method is along the lines of this  http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/2548/drop-scones.aspx adjusting the amounts for 1 (ok 2 coz I like a big breakfast).

I dont bother with the castor sugar, I add sultanas and eat with honey or jam on the top for sweetness. I've skipped the melted butter as well and it seems to make little difference. So I'm left with just self raising flour, custard powder and a little water. 3 very heaped dessert spoons of flour to 4 level dessert spoons of custard powder is a rough ratio.

For dinners, I'm going to look at taking some packets dehydrated risotto, or just rice and soup powders, for when I cant find anything suitable and fresh on the day.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 23 March 2014, 08:53:38 pm »
Replace custard powder with plain cornflour and you have many more options. Then replace self raising with wholemeal bread flour to make wraps when required and take a little bicarb or baking powder if selfraise is really a must.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 23 March 2014, 08:59:45 pm »
One suggestion I had was to ask my local butcher to vacuum pack meat for me. Apparently then it'll keep for some time, depending on the meat. Good idea?

Andy
Vacuum packing is good but you still should try to keep chilled as much as poss. Also you need to keep a check on the security of the seal because they can blow.  One way if you really were hard would be to make a brine bucket  and then may be air dry  your meat before you go :)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 23 March 2014, 09:04:33 pm »
like to hear more ideas on the cooking side though,,how many different dishes can be made using boiling water ??? 

Custard if you use Birds instant custard powder  :lol

I've been using that in 'instant' drop scone (Scotch pancakes) recipe for breakfast. I doubt I'll be having a fry up each day on my next trip.

The usual method is along the lines of this  http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/2548/drop-scones.aspx adjusting the amounts for 1 (ok 2 coz I like a big breakfast).

I dont bother with the castor sugar, I add sultanas and eat with honey or jam on the top for sweetness. I've skipped the melted butter as well and it seems to make little difference. So I'm left with just self raising flour, custard powder and a little water. 3 very heaped dessert spoons of flour to 4 level dessert spoons of custard powder is a rough ratio.

For dinners, I'm going to look at taking some packets dehydrated risotto, or just rice and soup powders, for when I cant find anything suitable and fresh on the day.

I walked up cadair idris once...stayed in the bothy...my mates had freeze dried rat packs.....i took a Mattesons family size smoked sausage & a bottle of tequilla :lol .......mattessons are nice boiled..you can use the water for a brew if you dont pierce the sausage bag...plus they're salty & full of fatty energy...& you can eat them cold.......plus shit in the bag........only joking about the last part....shit in your mates bag :b
« Last Edit: 23 March 2014, 09:05:57 pm by noggythenog »