Date: 30-04-24  Time: 17:32 pm

Author Topic: Which SS Downpipe/end can?  (Read 9970 times)

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Which SS Downpipe/end can?
« on: 28 December 2013, 11:45:54 pm »
Sorry guys, I'm sure this has probably been done to death, but I'm toying with getting some stainless downpipes, and a different end can for my foxeye.

I don't like really loud offensive cans, so nothing too loud, at the minute my whole exhaust system is OEM.

I'm not mega fussed sho t price, don't mind paying for quality if ifs worth it, there's just so much out there I don't want to buy something rubbish (at the same time though, don't want to needlessly spend the earth if it's not worth it)

Thanks for the help :)

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Which SS Downpipe/end can?
« Reply #1 on: 29 December 2013, 12:15:14 am »
I went for the Motad venom stainless downpipes. Fitted couple of weeks back.

Made in the UK. Have the balance pipes between 1+2 and 3+4.

I'm pleased with them, but time will tell how they'll hold up.

I stuck with OEM can, but same company does a matching venom end can which is what I'd go for if I wanted - a road legal one.

Downpipes are available from them on ebay under username motad1 for around £150, or call them and ask for that price.

You see the cans on there too... a lot cheaper than RRP on their website.

Andy

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 December 2013, 07:08:41 am »
Have just recently changed my OEM end can for a Scorpion stainless steel oval that with end cone in isn't much louder than standard but the weight saving is phenomenal. They were doing a deal @ NEC -£50off normal & free delivery(usually £13) so £199 instead of £263. Delivery took 7 days & quality of finish is excellent-all fittings (stainless) included in box. 10 mins to fit.

NotAnotherHill

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda Fireblade 900 RRV 1998
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 December 2013, 09:47:18 am »
Sandy Bike Spares SS downpipes and original end can on mine. Downpipes very good quality and fitted easily onto the bike.

Ebme Geek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 December 2013, 09:53:18 am »
+1 for the Motad downpipes,
that's what I went for, phoned them up and got the cheapest price I had seen on fleebay

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 December 2013, 06:15:35 pm »
I dropped in on the Venom factory in the summer.

The Venom range and the Motad range are exactly the same product and are fabricated in the same building by the same people. They market them on eBay as Venom as distributers weren't happy about them selling the Motad product much cheaper than the distributors. So if you buy a Motad it will cost you more, but you get exactly the same product as the Venom. Hope that makes sense.
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 December 2013, 07:06:08 pm »
+2 Motad .......... er Venom ............. or whatever they're called.
As to end cans, I bought a Fuel about 8 years ago. Lighter than standard and improves performance. You can have baffle in (only slightly louder than standard) or baffle out (not tried it). Still looks good.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #7 on: 29 December 2013, 08:50:06 pm »
+3 venom setup. Put full stainless pipes and end can on couple months ago, all went straight on dead easy. Just get yourself a 1/4" socket set for job, to fit between frame etc and reach bolts near middle. End can sounds good and no louder than stock. Has reliable baffle to go louder though. Very pleased, big thumbs up.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 December 2013, 09:21:21 pm »
+4 Venom from Motad,you may have to balance your carbs after fitting as I did to get a steady tickover but this is the norm with non standed downpipes.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 December 2013, 10:54:37 pm »
I fitted my delkevic downpipes this morning, really good job managed on my own and impessed with how well they went on so far

Keep checking the torque on the downpipe nuts for a little while as i found that they tended to slacken a bit, probably just from vibration and not being settled properly.

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 December 2013, 11:24:11 pm »
Sounds like a bit thumbs up for motad/venom then.

Thanks fellas :)

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #11 on: 30 December 2013, 12:11:50 am »
I have the sandy bike spares down pipes on mine, they arrived quickly, fitted spot on, and looked to be good quality, performance is fine too.
Also have delkevic oval can with baffle in and sounds sweet, a bloody hooligan without baffle though. :lol
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

spencer_foxwell

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ400
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 December 2013, 05:16:30 pm »
I have sandy bike spares downpipes and link pipe on my 400, I already had a Viper can which I kept. Sounds good and does seem to be decent quality.

I think I paid about £205 for my downpipes and link pipe and had free next day delivery. Oh and that also includes all gaskets free of charge.  :)

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 December 2013, 05:57:28 pm »
Re Motad/Venom, wasn't there an issue about the pipe cross section being too fat leading too a total loss of mid range power?  I've got to fit some new SS pipes before my May MOT and don't want to compromise performance for a few pence.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10405.msg109213.html#msg109213
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 December 2013, 09:02:26 pm »
This is what has stopped me going for motad / venom pipes. There is an engineer locally that makes abolsutely amazing full stainless systems in higher grade stainless and I am going to let him make me a full system that is hopefully identical to the OEM but much longer lasting. Of course, it is more expensive but only about £100 more than the Motad venom pipes and say a £200 decent end can. I plan on getting them done in a couple of weeks so I will post some more info and pics about it for anyone who is interested.

MarkWales

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 31 December 2013, 11:58:19 am »
Interested to see the result of the custom pipes.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 December 2013, 01:35:42 pm »
that could be interersting, yes. I've a local exhaust place that manufactures stainless systems, so depending how yours turns out could tempt me to do the same! :)

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 December 2013, 11:28:48 pm »
I've got lazer stainless pipes into a devil high level exhaust. Been reliable for years, looks great, legal noise.

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 January 2014, 06:14:59 pm »
Looking for a few other peoples opinions. I went to see the engineer again today to get a better understanding of the exhaust system he is going to make, the cost, what it's actually going to be made from etc. He's busy getting a Triumph ready for some event in shepton mallet currently, so has booked me in for the 2nd week of feb. As for the exhaust, this is the bit I need some others opinions with.

For the full system including a new end can he will hand build it is going to cost £450. I break this down to being £100 more than I would have otherwise paid if I went for the Motad venom pipes (£150) and a Mivv or pipe werx end can (£200 approx) I was looking at. For me, the most important part are the down pipes. He said they will be a mix of 304 and 316 stainless, however I am aware that the motad venoms are also in 304 stainless and have mixed reviews. I made clear to him that I don't want to lose any mid range if possible, or re-jet the carbs, so I thought this would mean keeping the balance pipes is necessary however he says that isn't the case? He has had 20 years experience with this trade and from what I have seen in his portfolio of pics he has shown me and the Harley Davidson and some old Triumph in his workshop he clearly is very skilled and knows what he is doing. I'm just a bit worried some of what he says is conflicting common consensus on here. Also, he mentioned is it a "race can I'm after" and to be honest I don't want anything too lairy and am a bit worried it wont have the stamps etc on it so if I get pulled it could be a problem. I have mentioned this to him of course.

What I'm asking is do you think this is a good idea or should I just go for the motads like everyone else and a well reputed and reviewed legal end can with removable baffle. I just really don't want to be disappointed either way and lose mid range grunt and smooth running to gain some minute HP because that is probably my favorite thing about this bike. My standard pipes are absolutely ruined though to the point I am not keen on riding the bike at the moment and I need to fix it asap really. Any opinions very welcome.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 January 2014, 11:21:20 pm »
Get the tried and tested version, and save £100.
Some bikes are very easy to makie systems for, the Fazer not being one of them - iuts one that particularly does need the balance pipes!

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 January 2014, 11:24:56 pm »
I have to agree with you, a friend of mine bought some new down pipes for her thundercat and they were missing the balance pipes. It just did not run the same especially low down. I emailed them about the motad venom pipes and their reply was quite reassuring. I just asked them now what the difference is between the expensive Motads and these Venom ones so hopefully they will reply to that as well tomorrow. It's looking likely I will just order some of these Venom pipes though and a nice end can too.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 January 2014, 11:43:14 pm »
Can highly recommend this make of end can, i have one on mine, albeit an older (and longer) one, but they have a lovely deep grunt that's not offensive, but then they really go for it when you give it a bit of welly.

http://www.quillexhausts.com/

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 January 2014, 01:01:54 am »

I emailed them about the motad venom pipes and their reply was quite reassuring. I just asked them now what the difference is between the expensive Motads and these Venom ones so hopefully they will reply to that as well tomorrow.

I dropped in on the Venom factory in the summer.

The Venom range and the Motad range are exactly the same product and are fabricated in the same building by the same people. They market them on eBay as Venom as distributers weren't happy about them selling the Motad product much cheaper than the distributors. So if you buy a Motad it will cost you more, but you get exactly the same product as the Venom. Hope that makes sense.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2014, 01:03:06 am by Ruby Racing »
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 January 2014, 11:47:27 am »
not sure about headers as I still have OE ones.

I can highly recommend the blueflame end can, love mine. Much nicer sound with baffle in but still very neighbour friendly. Baffle out is big smile time but not all neighbours would be too happy... haha

Chris
« Last Edit: 08 January 2014, 11:48:02 am by Chris »

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 January 2014, 05:00:28 pm »
Sorry ruby, 0/10 for observation there. Well here is what the salesman replied anyway for anyone who is interested.

"The Venom range was introduced so we could be competitive with the Chinese copies (Delkiavic,Sandybike Spares) without upsetting the dealers.The 2 main differences between the Motad and Venom pipes are: motad have a 10 year warranty where the Venom have a 3 year warranty and the final finish,the Venom parts are only put into the Chemicals once,where as the Motad pipes go in twice to ensure a more even shiny finish"

(I also asked him about the restrictor point near outet). "The outlet on the downpipes is the same size as the Yamaha pipes because it is designed to work with the OE gasket in place,again though,a lot of the Chinese parts are designed with larger tubing to do away with the use of gaskets. The pipes are made out of the same material by the same people here in the factory..like i said,these were introduced for one reason only..to compete against the Chinese and keep the Motad brand separate.You can order direct on 01922714700,the price will be £139.99+ £12.86 postage."

So that is what I have done. Should be on their way before the weekend hopefully but if not early next week. My end can will be end of jan though so will have to wait for that but that's not from them. I got some gaskets and a fender extender separately too, plus some stainless dome nuts. I am half tempted to paint the engine whilst the front is exposed but I don't think its a good idea in the crap weather we have at the moment and I don't have a garage so may wait until summer and possibly even consider removing the engine as it will be easier to check the valves which will need doing soon.