Date: 30-04-24  Time: 16:31 pm

Author Topic: right of access  (Read 3637 times)

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
right of access
« on: 04 December 2013, 11:24:59 am »
The other night I had a run in with a disabled driver on private/public car park at a local royal mail sorting office during the day this car park is for public use and at night it's used by the post sorters for quick access to work,  this night the car park was full accept the disabled spot so I parked there so I didn't cause an obstruction as it was clocking out/in time for the workers, I was there to pick my partner up so while she was getting her gear on a iterate so called disabled driver started shouting are ya gonna move or what I said calmly in a minute ,minute later his partner came out saying the same things and have I got a disabled permit to park there which I said I had one, which she replied if next  time your parked there and you havent got ya permit (how the he'll can ya show it on a bike) they'll block me in so I can't move,    I'm not disabled but have they got a right to demand the parking spot when the carpark is full?

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: right of access
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2013, 11:53:24 am »
Yes.

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2013, 11:55:28 am »
Standing back and removing all the attitude/shouting, at the end of the day it is a designated disabled bay and should be used as so - I guess.

If I were disabled enough to need a space (thank god I'm not) I wouldn't be too chuffed if a rufty tufty biker was using it :lol

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2013, 12:07:29 pm »
On the theme, outside my shop is a parking bay of 5 car length's. Theres a disabled bay smack in the middle.
I have seen before, badge holders not parking in the empty bay, but in a "normal" space and still put their badge in the screen.
I should run out ranting at them really about taking up abled parking spaces  :grumble

mustardbufc

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 December 2013, 12:08:27 pm »
and the disabled driver waiting for you to vacate the space is now causing more of an obstruction than the one you were trying not to cause!!

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 December 2013, 12:16:42 pm »
I heard this on telly: if you park in a disabled bay then you are robbing a disabled person of their independence :\

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2013, 01:01:20 pm »
they do, yes.
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

TonyW

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2013, 02:56:16 pm »
I'll say upfront I'm a blue badge holder. If the car park is on private property then the D/bays are not enforceable except by the owner or his agents so if they agree or can't be arsed to stop you  then go ahead.
However without the D/bays close by many places are inaccessible. Say I came into you your carpark to pick up a missed package, if I can't park close to the door then I'm screwed. If I had to park in a bay more than ten or 15 meters away then I can't actually walk to the door and back and have to use my mobility scooter. Getting that in and out of the car takes about 5 minutes plus another 5-10 minutes to recover from the effort involved. So by blocking the bay you add 20-30 minutes to a 10 minute trip out to pick up a package plus I'll probably need my meds during my recovery time. Many times I've gone places, not been able to get a D/bay and had to just turn around and go home. Maybe just that one time you could have parked outside and got your Mrs to walk across the car park.  :D
At least on the bike I just park right by the door

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 December 2013, 03:00:03 pm »
Sorry but there was a vacant normal space there at the side of me after I had parked up and some people have left work, he could have moved it there instead of ranting he could see we were getting ready to move and when his wife came out ranting made it even longer to wait for them hehe

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 December 2013, 03:11:55 pm »
So you're justifying your selfishness on the grounds that someone else moved after you'd arrived?

TonyW

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 December 2013, 03:54:00 pm »
Was the Disabled bay a little wider than a standard bay?  That's so the door can open fully to help with getting in and out of the car. Standard bays just ain't wide enough for many disabled. Wouldn't it have made more sense for you to scoot across when the std bay became vacant?

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2013, 05:49:11 pm »
Dear Sir, I hope you never end up being disabled.
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 December 2013, 05:56:25 pm »
rich my partner was already getting kitted up so 5 mins and would have been off until she came ranting about us been there, and looney like I said ive already got a disable badge but don't take it with the bike

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 December 2013, 06:06:44 pm »
i just pretend i'm polish and park anywhere i like.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 December 2013, 06:49:50 pm »
,minute later his partner came out saying the same things and have I got a disabled permit to park there which I said I had one, which she replied if next  time your parked there and you havent got ya permit (how the he'll can ya show it on a bike) they'll block me in so I can't move,    I'm not disabled but have they got a right to demand the parking spot when the carpark is full?

So, not only did you take a disabled space from someone who needed it way more than you, but you bullshitted them and said you had a permit?

Don't get me wrong, I have the same attitude as you toward 'parent & child' parking spaces. They can fuck off. Why should I have to park further out just because a guy couldn't pull his dick out in time? You make a choice to be a parent. Thing is, you don't make a choice to be disabled. It just happens to you and you have to deal with the shit it causes.
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 December 2013, 06:51:49 pm »

:rollin
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 December 2013, 07:06:30 pm »
punch him, they want equal rights :lol
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 December 2013, 07:13:12 pm »
The real issue here is how people interact with each other...it's all in the psychology.

My mate had a run in with a bus driver the other day & he said to me - Mr nog i woulda moved if he'd spoken to me like a decent guy but when he started gettin arsey i dug my heels in & decided to piss him off further.

Lots of things piss us off on a daily basis but it doesnt give us the excuse to act like total tossers when we speak to people we've never met before, what the foc is wrong with people...im only 31 but i still say "alright" to people in passing or open a door or 2 but i dont know why coz it's like living in a foccin zombie film half the time with barely an acknowledgement...so now i dynamically risk assess my kindness...if you look like a tosser then you better foccin be polite when you start talking to me or get outta my foccin airspace! :evil

It's all posturing most of the time...people expect hassle & confrontation so how do they deal with that expectation......they use the old "attack is the best form of defence" chestnut.....so basically they jump in kicking off & trying to make themselves threatening in the hope that the other person will back down, drop to their knees & beg for mercy :'( ......does it work....no!....what happens....they get their head kicked in........will the parking attendants jump out of a bush to save that person getting a kicking.....will they foc!........so someone acts like an arsehole to a biker....the biker gets a bit disgruntled......biker is then tarred with the scary arsehole biker brush.

So should you have gone in the disabled space....no

Was it probably annoying  for the guy having to point out said error....yes

Should he have been a knob......no

Was he a dole sponging, medical faking,dvd burning, 20 richmond kingsize smoking vagrant.......maybe, but a badge is a badge. :D

But hey i digress......lifes too short... :smokin

Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 December 2013, 07:24:36 pm »
:D :rollin
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 December 2013, 07:37:04 pm »
I do not have a disabled badge but likely as not would qualify for one due to suffering from Osteo Arthritis. Especially when I see some so called blue badge holders with them , but pride stops me from applying.
It is though however getting to the stage now in carparks, particularly supermarkets were it is getting out of hand the number of bays reserved for Mother &Toddler, Disabled etc!
I had a run in earlier this year when I commented to a woman parking her 4x4 in Mother &Toddler space, No child could be seen so mentioned to her it was reserved parking for those with kids. Shall we say she had a mouth like a sewer.
But back to the point you should not park in a disabled bay full stop.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 December 2013, 07:55:05 pm »
If you were on your bike and a car had taken up the bike only bay, what would your reaction be????
Pissed off i would imagine.
Treat other as you would have them treat you.
If every one was a little bit nicer maybe we would all be nicer.

This is spoken by a fiery redhead.

Ohhh idea for my writing underneath all my posts.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 December 2013, 08:00:47 pm »
Treat other as you would have them treat you.

I can't afford to give everyone I meet a million pounds.

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 December 2013, 10:07:36 pm »
We pulled into sainsburys last Sunday in the car and the  sign said "FULL" so we drove round the car park back towards the exit and there were 7 empty disabled spaces. Just saying!!!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 December 2013, 10:41:22 pm »
We pulled into sainsburys last Sunday in the car and the  sign said "FULL" so we drove round the car park back towards the exit and there were 7 empty disabled spaces. Just saying!!!

Ive thought this before

The number of disabled spaces is disproportionate to the numbers of disabled drivers using the areas.

I suppose the planners just though theyd look extra good by doing this, an extra little shake just to be sure before putting it back in their trousers.or maybe it's coz no matter how close you park, if your disabled & need to be that close then theres no foccin chance in hell of you actually being able to navigate the vast expanse of the supermarket, if you can get to the deli counter then you deserve an olympic medal, not a special space ;)

That aside though i do sympathise but not with those cars with kids ones...thats really taking the piss

Wont be long before heroin addicts have their own spaces i reckon
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 December 2013, 08:09:37 am »
I don't see why people are bashing on the planners here, I really appreciate those hatched spaces provided for motorbikes between each disabled space!
Some say...