Date: 04-05-24  Time: 07:44 am

Author Topic: Lowering an FZS 600 2002  (Read 11275 times)

edoffroad

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Lowering an FZS 600 2002
« on: 06 June 2013, 11:53:51 am »
Morning all

Being a bit of a shorty (5'7" on a good day) i feel that I need to lower my fzs600 2002 to get both feet flat on the floor and am looking at buying a lowering kit supplied by Lust Racing or something similar. I have been advised that my suspension is already on a low setting.

Has anyone had any experience of these kits and are they fairly easy to fit

Thanks, Ed  :)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Lowering an FZS 600 2002
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2013, 12:14:19 pm »
Hey buddy,welcome in.

My bike was lowered when i got it and at 5 foot 11 i went for jacking it up instead.the longer the dog leg the lower the bike goes.

When it was lowered i struggled with the controls and being cramped because of my size, it turned into corners slower but was surprisingly well planted in the corners,perhaps because the center of gravity was a bit lower im not sure.

Although the garage did mine at same time as doing my updated sprocket nut i think its an easy job, a couple of bolts holding the dog legs on is about it, a quick swap over.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2013, 12:41:28 pm »
Morning all

Being a bit of a shorty (5'7" on a good day) i feel that I need to lower my fzs600 2002 to get both feet flat on the floor and am looking at buying a lowering kit supplied by Lust Racing or something similar. I have been advised that my suspension is already on a low setting.

Has anyone had any experience of these kits and are they fairly easy to fit

Thanks, Ed  :)

To be honest mate I really don't think I would ever lower a bike - I'm about 5 foot 10, and tend to raise most of my bikes up to get them to turn in quicker - the Ninja 9 I had before this I could only get the balls of one foot on the floor, but that was enough!
Problem with lowering them is you'll lose a fair bit of ground clearance (and the Fazer 6 is pretty easy to ground out anyway), and you'll make it turn rather slowly. Your best bet really is to get used to the height (unless you literally cannot touch the floor at all), I've personally never been able to completely flatfoot any of my bikes!
Other option that wouldn't affect the handling though would be to get the seat reshaped so that it's a bit lower?

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2013, 12:47:10 pm »
Good point by joe there.

Suppose it depends what sort o riding you plan doing.

If you need a pic of my bike lowered & the length wishbones i had on then gimme a shout.

Ive actually still got the lowering wishbones somewhere,if you can hang on til i find them then you could have them for the price of postage. :)

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2013, 01:35:28 pm »
1) Take the small rubber bungs off on the underside of the seat. This will lower rider seat height by over half an inch.
2) Push the fork tops up through the yokes 5-10mm

These two mods together should lower seat height another inch or so which should be ok for someone 5'7"

If that still isnt enough:
3) The standard Fazer FZS 1000 dogbones / tie rods are longer than the 600's and so will drop the rear by an inch or a fraction more. A far cheaper option than aftermarket lowering kits

edoffroad

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2013, 01:58:44 pm »
Thanks Guys some good options and advice there.

Thanks for the offer of them wishbones noggy, let me know when you've found them and I'll send you postage, nice one! those pics would be good too if you don't mind

To be honest I'm only pottering about at the moment as a fairly new middle aged rider, just want to feel comfortable to feel confident. Don't want to change bike for a lower seat model as I think the Fazer is a great bike.

I'll have a look at those rubber bungs and seat re-shaping

Cheers all :)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 June 2013, 02:14:21 pm »
Hey ed heres a pic when i first got it,sorry bout the dodgy photo of my arse :rolleyes  but it shows the seat height quite well compared to me, obviously people are differently proportioned but hey it gives you an idea,like i say im 5 foot 11.

Ill have a rake around for those dogbones but if you want them itll be monday before i post coz im nightshift tonight tomorrow then of course its the weekend.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2013, 04:11:23 pm »
Have you considered a cut down seat? Picked one up for mine, as an easy swap for when my wife wants to borrow the bike. Mines obviously a custom job, leather unpicked, pulled back, foam cut down, then leather re-stapled back. Knocks about 2-3cm off seat height and doesn't change handling of bike. Bet you could pick a spare seat for not much and have a play cutting it down.

edoffroad

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 June 2013, 04:39:08 pm »
Thanks noggy i see what you mean, the bike looks small up against you. Don't worry, when your ready and you can for the dogbones, I appreciate it. Just let me know the damage and I'll sort it out with you, thanks.

I've seen a seat advertised for next to nowt Arfa so I think I'll get it an give it a go. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks, Ed :)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 June 2013, 04:02:10 pm »
Hey ed, shamone mutha focer :b , look what i found!!!

Before i send them, they are 150mm long centre to centre which should be longer than the ones youve got on therefore lowering the bike but perhaps worth having a quick gander at yours to make sure.

Ill post them on monday by the most economical way, you don't owe me anything for postage, all i ask is that you update on here with a pic & a description of the differences,good or bad so that others can be helped in future.

No point being a club if we cant help each other out & foc-u has that spirit 8)

Oh & youll need to private message me your address.

Cheers

Fras

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 June 2013, 05:24:02 pm »
Hey ed heres a pic when i first got it,sorry bout the dodgy photo of my arse :rolleyes  but it shows the seat height quite well compared to me, obviously people are differently proportioned but hey it gives you an idea,like i say im 5 foot 11.

Ill have a rake around for those dogbones but if you want them itll be monday before i post coz im nightshift tonight tomorrow then of course its the weekend.

BUT what an arse, :lol  and "hot stuff" just came on the radio!!
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

bigsteve

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM850 FZS600SP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 June 2013, 07:18:40 pm »
Hi
   I lowered FZS 600 boxeye for my good lady using lust racing dog bones and did hit a slight problem  I found when I placed bike on side stand it was very upright so had to have side stand shortened by 1 inch ( cut and welded ) also makes it a little harder to get on centre stand

have also had seat lowered to 

steve

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 June 2013, 07:48:28 pm »

BUT what an arse, :lol  and "hot stuff" just came on the radio!!

ahoy sailor!!!! :lol

edoffroad

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 June 2013, 11:58:23 am »
Hey Fras, sorry for the late reply, internets being playing up.

Thanks for searching them out, as you say, i'll measure mine tomorrow when I get home just to check that they're not the same size and then if not I'll message you my address.

And of course it will a pleasure to update the club with the results.

Thanks for that

Ed  :)

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 June 2013, 01:16:37 pm »
Longer dogbones will make the effective leverage ratio lower too, I mean it will work as if the spring were softer. It will be interesting that you could measure if it is a noticeable difference. I put a jack up kit but didn't do it and now I am curious.

To measure this you have to be sure that the bike do not top out under it owns weight:

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 June 2013, 01:36:51 pm »
Hey Fras, sorry for the late reply, internets being playing up.

Thanks for searching them out, as you say, i'll measure mine tomorrow when I get home just to check that they're not the same size and then if not I'll message you my address.

And of course it will a pleasure to update the club with the results.

Thanks for that

Ed  :)

Standard dogbones should be 140mm centre hole to centre hole. Even a few mm will make a difference to the bike.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 June 2013, 02:00:46 pm »
Mine came with a lower seat which I changed for a standard one as it was too low for me and im 5ft 7 so yours may have been raised?
I still have the seat, if you still have probs I can post the seat up to you to try and if it suits you can buy it and if not post it back  :b
im near Heathrow so a bit of a trek for you?
oh and I see you have the ultra rare fastest colour ever :D :eek :lurk
Mark

edoffroad

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 June 2013, 10:55:31 am »
Oooooh this is all getting very technical and i need to get in the garage and spend some time with the yellow beastie....

That inconvenient thing known as earning as a living has distracted me again from spending time with the bike this week so it  it's gonna be the weekend before I can see what's what.

Thanks for all your tips, advice and offers of help on this and I'll update at the weekend

Thanks for the offer of the seat trial Mark. How much lower do you think your low seat puts you nearer the ground?

Cheers Ed  :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 June 2013, 12:08:59 pm »
Just get a ruler out and quickly measure centre hole to centre hole of the dogbone, if it's not 140mm then it's been modded!
It'll take you a few seconds to do and give you a clue as to what needs doing!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 June 2013, 01:29:30 pm »

Thanks for the offer of the seat trial Mark. How much lower do you think your low seat puts you nearer the ground?

Cheers Ed  :)

I would say a good 2 inches, if you want to try the seat i will post some before and after pics of me sitting on it so you can see the differance :D
Mark.

edoffroad

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 June 2013, 01:37:10 pm »
Juat had got underneath and had a measure darrsi and its 140mm, so that means that it's standard then!

Thanks Mark pics would be good if not to much trouble

Cheers Ed :)

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 June 2013, 01:40:41 pm »
i will dig out the seat tonight and do some pics ;)

Mark

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 June 2013, 02:54:02 pm »
Anyone know the procedure for changing the dogbones when ed gets my longer set???

The garage did mine & i cant get my head round the geometry & how you line up to fit the longer ones, does it involve a second person lifting the back end up and down until the angle is reached then another person ramming home the bolts, is it a bike on centre stand job or standing freely??? :\

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 June 2013, 05:32:03 pm »
Hi, Cant upload from Photobucket ? hope this link works, the first two pics are standard, next two are lowered and then last pic of seats side by side.
Mark
http://s699.photobucket.com/user/fatyzfr1/library/FAZER%20SEAT?sort=2&page=1

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 June 2013, 06:38:27 pm »
Hey ed

Before i send you the dog legs,seriously coincidence that ive noticed today but if you scroll back to Joe Rock's comment about lowering making it easier to grind out, i just noticed after a ride out today that my right hand hero blob on the foot peg was missing, on closer inspection the peg is also ground down, looking at old photos it seems my bike has always been like it since ive had it & considering that the left side hero blob is untouched & the tyres hadnt been over much with the previous owner it seems likely that some spirited riding with these dog legs will lead to grinding of the pegs.

Ok so i never ground out when i first got the bike but i had only just passed my test & it wasnt long til i got it jacked up,with it jacked right up im now getting my tyres way over without grinding, my only hero blob on the left side hasnt been touched.

Couple of pics of grinding attached