Date: 30-04-24  Time: 21:10 pm

Author Topic: Just fitted a Nitron shock  (Read 4508 times)

Spannerhands

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Just fitted a Nitron shock
« on: 22 August 2013, 06:12:28 pm »
Hi all. First post so please be gentle eh?

Been a lurker on and off for years on here and decided it was about bloody time I joined! I used to be a regular on the ukbeg Buell forum but I used to run a fist gen Fazer 600 as a workhorse along side a Buell M2.

Anyway, I've been running a gen1 Fazer 1000 for around 3 years now (had a bad crash on the Buell 2009) as my only bike and despite 53000 on the clock it's in superb well maintained nick.

I recently decided to do something about the (well past it's best) shock. After quotes of up to £250 to re-spring/re-valve the original I went the Nitron route with one of their "Sport" shocks. The difference is absolutely amazing! Despite feeling more compliant and less harsh the bike corners like it's on rails while swallowing mid corner bumps. Not cheap though at just shy of £400 with delivery, especially on a £2000 bike! Good job I don't EVER plan to sell it. Shame about the turquoise spring!

I'm skint now but when funds allow I plan to Ivanise it and look at the front forks, although I've always found them "adequate".

Anybody suggest which I should do first?

Is there ANYTHING out there that I can replace my 12 year old bike with? I think not.

Fazer TIM

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Just fitted a Nitron shock
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2013, 06:16:14 pm »
Hi all. First post so please be gentle eh?

Been a lurker on and off for years on here and decided it was about bloody time I joined! I used to be a regular on the ukbeg Buell forum but I used to run a fist gen Fazer 600 as a workhorse along side a Buell M2.

Anyway, I've been running a gen1 Fazer 1000 for around 3 years now (had a bad crash on the Buell 2009) as my only bike and despite 53000 on the clock it's in superb well maintained nick.

I recently decided to do something about the (well past it's best) shock. After quotes of up to £250 to re-spring/re-valve the original I went the Nitron route with one of their "Sport" shocks. The difference is absolutely amazing! Despite feeling more compliant and less harsh the bike corners like it's on rails while swallowing mid corner bumps. Not cheap though at just shy of £400 with delivery, especially on a £2000 bike! Good job I don't EVER plan to sell it. Shame about the turquoise spring!

I'm skint now but when funds allow I plan to Ivanise it and look at the front forks, although I've always found them "adequate".

[/quote
great shocks nitron you can get black springs for them

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2013, 06:32:26 pm »

MORE POWER :)

Spannerhands

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2013, 06:39:07 pm »

MORE POWER :)

Yeah, I'm leaning heavily towards that option!
Is there ANYTHING out there that I can replace my 12 year old bike with? I think not.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2013, 06:43:35 pm »
Hi and Welcome to the forums. I have a Nitron Track shock and it was the best upgrade I've made to my bike, I must admit I quite like the turquoise colored spring, maybe it will grow on you over time.

What if anything is it about the forks and engine that you find lacking, which niggles you more? Personally I would get more enjoyment from a bike that handles well and has sufficient power over one that has more power than the bike can handle. Cheap mods to improve handling are dropping the forks and fitting a jack-up kit, more weight on the front helps make the bike much more responsive, I'd try these first if you haven't already done so (or chosen not to).

Spannerhands

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2013, 06:59:36 pm »
To be fair I don't find the handling lacking (especially now) but having experienced such an improvement by sorting the rear I just wonder if sorting the front would give an equal improvement. Better fueling would be nice too, the extra horses just a bonus really.

My fazer1

My Fazer2
« Last Edit: 22 August 2013, 07:10:07 pm by Spannerhands »

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2013, 07:14:45 pm »
That's a nice looking bike, looks well cared for.

From what I can see you've dropped the forks but not fitted a jack-up kit, unless you are short of leg I'd seriously recommend the £15 investment, handling will be improved another significant notch, at which point you may be in a position to be happy enough with the handling to go full steam ahead with Ivanising. If you're having to upgrade a step at a time then your next step might be an aftermarket can, I believe that's pretty much mandatory for Ivanising.

Spannerhands

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 August 2013, 07:19:51 pm »
So I hear. Don't want anything too loud though (had enough of that with the Buell!) and I leave for work at 5:30am.
Will definately look into a pair of dogbones though.
Is the standard can really that restrictive?

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 August 2013, 07:32:07 pm »
Doesn't have to be loud, as long as it's road legal your neighbors won't have any reason to object. I have a Fuel can and am happy with it, baffle in and the bike makes 127HP (Full Monty), not much difference from standard when it comes to noise maybe a bit of extra bass. Baffle out and 134HP, I'd say quiet enough to trundle through town and adds more character to the bike on the open road in terms of sound and performance. So yes a less restrictive can makes a difference, I can't say how restrictive the standard can is but I'd say more than it needs to be.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2013, 07:32:53 pm by PieEater »

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 August 2013, 07:33:44 pm »
I've Ivanised mine and kept the stock can. It's a vast improvement. After the Ohlins shock, it's the second best thing I ever did. Don't be put off by people going for the full Monty, the slip on kit and standard pipe is superb as well.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 August 2013, 07:45:57 pm »
Tune the nuts off it, R1 forks, single side s/arm, turbo, nitros, bling it to death and sing hallelujah.
No? Oh, ok then....

Spannerhands

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 August 2013, 08:24:20 pm »
Thanks all. You've certainly given me a bit to think about! Think a jet kit and a road legal (removable baffle) can might be the way to go. When funds allow that is! Will have to see what crops up on ebay too.

bluethou

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 August 2013, 04:52:15 pm »
I have the nitron track shock on mine and with refurbed front end dropped through 15mm it pushes the pirelli angels right to the edge makes all the difference,made me hang on to her rather than change for the gen 2.
more power next.
Fines are cheaper than front tyres!!

Spannerhands

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 August 2013, 11:04:50 am »
To be honest I rarely find myself wishing I had more power but the fazer does have some minor fueling issues. Handling is usually the priority on these bikes. Had to do a fork seals job on mine a couple of thousand miles ago so took the opportunity to give the forks a good inspection. Have dropped mine 10mm,  max pre load,  rebound 3 clicks out and compression 6 clicks. Works well most of the time but finding some straight line instability at silly speeds. Need to have another look I think.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 August 2013, 11:31:42 am »
Never had any straight line instability on any of 4 thous I've owned. Tyres? Dropping the forks? (haven't tried this myself). Screen height in relation to your riding position? The Ivan's slip-on kit should fix the fuelling issues - they all have it.

Spannerhands

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 August 2013, 01:31:15 pm »
Tyres are just scrubbed in pilot road 3's. Think I'll reduce the fork drop to 5mm and see if that works. It only happens at around 120mph upwards so isn't a major problem. Well, not for me anyway!

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #16 on: 25 August 2013, 08:07:31 am »
K Tech fork conversion and an Ivan's kit and you will be sorted.

Whale
On the Gas! :stop

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 August 2013, 05:50:55 pm »
I suppose it all depends on the performance envelope you want to have available.    I found an Ivan's slip on (fitted by Falcon) improved it's low speed commuting manners remarkably.    I got greedy and went for the full monty on a different bike.  It came pretty close to mimicking an R1 I had at the time in third at about 8k on the rev counter.   The front came up, and it took off like a scalded cat.  Stomach muscles were used for the first time in years trying to hang on.  Scared me a bit to be honest, as I wasn't expecting it.

Lost the licence shortly thereafter, so D666 kept the bike for me.  It's got proper brakelines, screen, etc and a few carbon additions.  I found the can it has (evo triangle thing) let it breathe much more easily,  but I've also got an evo carbon straight through for silly days.  Although those are mostly past now!

I had the back lifted,  but found it very light on the bars in triple figures,  so will drop the forks a bit.    I'll probably stick to most speed limits now though,  as Casey Stoner said to Rossi "your ambition exceeded your talent".  I can't use anywhere near the full potential of the bike,   so shock mods etc will probably go on the old age bucket list.

I'd ask Falcon269 for sensible mods catered to your riding style.   
Head Focced