Date: 09-05-24  Time: 11:49 am

Author Topic: exhaust query  (Read 1502 times)

scoobie_paws

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
exhaust query
« on: 11 October 2014, 11:48:25 am »
Hi all. My fzs600 has a full stainless system on it, un-named but has not for road use stamped on the can. sounds lovely and have no plans to change it out but for MOT time i was thinking of getting a standard can put on :P
will the standard link pipe and can fit to the stainless pipes? I know it might be a try it and see but don't want to buy one to find it doesn't fit
thanks

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: exhaust query
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2014, 12:23:10 pm »
Hi scooby, ask your mot man if he will pass it beforehand, most will pass after market cans......a standard can will fit after market stainless headers, ive done it with mine  :)
« Last Edit: 11 October 2014, 03:30:37 pm by red98 »
One, is never going to be enough.....

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2014, 12:44:15 pm »
Most will pass it as long as it's not TOO LOUD. But you may have to put a bit of tape over the 'Not for Road Use' bit just for the MOT. That's what mine advised me to do. I think if they see those words it's a fail, but they're not allowed to remove the tape.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2014, 12:45:58 pm »
It also helps if u use the same garage to work on ur bike and mot. U know them.. They know u and u build up trust so if there is a minor (which this is) they kinda let it pass and trust u will sort it.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

scoobie_paws

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2014, 12:48:35 pm »
Most will pass it as long as it's not TOO LOUD. But you may have to put a bit of tape over the 'Not for Road Use' bit just for the MOT. That's what mine advised me to do. I think if they see those words it's a fail, but they're not allowed to remove the tape.
I like that idea. Its not that loud at all really, mind you I had an unbaffled firestorm before and that was ferking loud by comparison :-)
« Last Edit: 11 October 2014, 12:49:53 pm by scoobie_paws »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2014, 01:39:00 pm »
Out of all the variables with exhausts, i think the only one they really don't want to see is "Not For Road Use".
I reckon unless he's an old mate of yours at the very least you'll get an advisory, or an immediate fail.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2014, 04:49:18 pm »
Can you Polish the words off?  I have removed them from the strap before only takes five mins and you can't tell it was there afterwards. 
Intentionally left blank

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2014, 05:03:04 pm »
Either polish them off, or get another can that doesn't have it on.

I only say that because I got caught by a bikesafe stop where EVERY bike was pulled in, and a VOSA bloke went over each bike with a fine tooth comb for illegal parts.

Mine had an ART can fitted with those fateful words written on it "not for road use". The cops issued me with some kind of road injunction notice (can't remember the correct name for it) which meant take the bike home immediately, and the only journey it can undertake is to an MOT station where it has to be fully re-MOT'd.

I did exactly that. Took it home and got a new ticket for it, wen to the cop shop and had the ticket cancelled. I then went on tour in Canada for 3 months, returning home to find a court summons sat waiting for me. The cops hadn't sorted the ticket in time or some shit like that, and a summons is issued.
I went to court and stated my case that I'd done everything that had been asked of me. The magistrates said they didn't have a clue why I was here in that case, but since I was here, I should have a 12 month behavioural notice, should I get in trouble again this would be taken into account, and don't do it again!!!

In my experience buddy, it just aint worth it! Get a road legal can.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!