Date: 07-05-24  Time: 15:53 pm

Author Topic: Down but not out!  (Read 7582 times)

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Down but not out!
« on: 30 May 2012, 08:30:22 pm »
Well got knocked off today  :'( finaly managed to get a job and on the 3rd day on way home a lorry stopped on the other side of the road, the car behind him didnt stop so hit the rear of the truck. glanced off and hit the side of the car infront of me then ploughed in to the front of my bike throwing me off it. I had stopped and feet down as it hit me and it had lost a lot of its speed from the first 2 impacts but still enough force to throw me over the front of the bike lol.

Bike seems "mostly" cosmetic, the std stuff. fairing, mudguard, crash bungs, belly pan etc.
forks dont look bent but the handle bars do look slightly out of line, but this could just be a bent fairing frame or twisted in the yolkes. oh and front tyre has a chunk missing from it.
helmet has a small scratch and boots/gloves are screwed.

But the bike gear did its job well i just have a few bumps and lumps. will be sore tomorow lol
really hope they dont write it off but kinda know they will :( it has so many extras on it (pretty much all declaired on insurance)
the one thing that MAY be a problem though is my insurance is social domestic and pleasure (it excludes going to work) but i started a new job 3 days ago. it was on my "to do" list to inform them but was not a high priority.
kinda hope that wont be an issue.

piss's me right off as this weekend i was ment to be at Castle Combe track day :(

Bitfik

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: Down but not out!
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2012, 08:57:25 pm »
You were not on your way home from work!

No one will know you were on your way home from work unless you tell anyone, so I repeat:

Glad you not too badly hurt m8, whole thing sucks tho!

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2012, 09:01:39 pm »
Yeah i was going to go with that right up untill i asked for a replacement bike/car so i could get to work for the rest of the week lol

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2012, 09:13:46 pm »
You may tell me I'm wrong but I thought Social Domestic and Pleasure included travelling to a place of work?

Main thing is you are ok! :)

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2012, 09:31:46 pm »
nope mine says under "Use" SD&P Excl Commuting
I knew this when i took out the policy. but i had been out of work for 4-5 years so didnt need to pay extra for something i wasnt going to use.

Tori

• Tent Pole Erector / Truck Hunter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2012, 09:37:01 pm »
Glad you're ok Chris.

You still didn't have to be coming from work.....;-)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2012, 09:44:08 pm »
Glad your alright what an unlucky hit the 3rd vehicle. I take it his insurance is paying up.

Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Strifae

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2012, 09:55:36 pm »
That really sucks! Hope you can repair the bike or something?

What did insurance company say when asked for courtesy bike? You still weren't commuting even if you asked that

imax

Top Banana
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2012, 10:27:18 pm »
On page 3 of www.adviceguide.org.uk/c_motor_insurance.pdf from the CAB, it states you must inform your insurance company IN WRITING of any changes as soon as they occur.

Royal Mail can be awfully slow in a heatwave  ;)

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2012, 10:54:14 pm »
Good find Imax, very tempted to do a pre dated letter and post it. But might be better to just keep me head down and say I had finished work and then gone out on bike for pleasure. But not gunna say a thing and see if its brought up by them.

As for the guy that hit me, well he is with more than insurance and seems to be covered. He also admited blame infront of coppers. I have 4 witnesses to so it SHOULD be straight forward.
We can hope anyway.

He said his brakes "failed" LOL but he clearly just didn't see the truck stop.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2012, 02:05:23 am »
Glad to hear you're ok!

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB1300S & Sports Sidecar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2012, 05:42:58 am »
First ... good that you seem to be OK mate .. bikes can be sorted.

I must say you seem very calm and unfazed by this .. most of us would have at least one angry word  :eek

What's the betting that all the insurers try to pin it on the Trucker .. so if (as you say) the Police did attend the accident .. that's a plus for you.   Has everyone accepted that you were 'stopped with feet down' at the moment of impact?

Hope you get it all sorted to your satisfaction in 'quick time'.

I'm sure you know this already .. the Bars are 'rubber mounted' in the yoke, slack off the bolts a bit and give it all a wiggle  :b   .. see if anything pops back into line (mine did, after a car park knock over).

Polar Bear.

pete786.u

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2012, 07:39:13 am »
How fast was the bloke in the car going if he couldn`t stop behind the lorry or was he chatting/texting on his mobile?
Good luck with the bike and glad you`re not badly hurt.

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2012, 10:49:02 am »
Glad your ok, could have been a lot worse.

Re: your insurance - how about - you were on your way back from an interview. You subsequently got the job so now need a car to get to work, but you weren't commuting at the time of the incident.

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2012, 12:18:28 pm »
gald your ok mush
Its just a ride

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2012, 01:16:20 pm »
Sorry to hear about your spill.  To underline what the others have said - for goodness sake do not admit that you were on your way home from work.  It will cause you issues.  If your bike is written off ask the insurers if you can keep it as part of the settlement.  That way you can either repair it yourself of transfer all the extras to your new machine.       

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2012, 06:29:28 pm »
Well some good news, I was given the choice to claim on my insurance (need to pay my excess up front and then claim it back) or his.
the only real diff it seems is his will take longer for repairs and the excess at the start, eventualy i get that back though.

I decided to claim on his that way it matters not if my insurance is commuting or not lol
On sat they are picking my bike up for assesment and droping of a hire bike ( ARGGGG its a 1250 BANDIT :( )
due to bank hol etc this week will be 2ish weeks to get estimate and then 1-2 months on ave for his side to agree to repairs lol. so could be stuck with the bandit all summer.
it could go much faster they say but will depend on his side.
i dont give a monkeys as long as i have a decent bike (well ok a bandit isnt great but its better than nothing)
allready had the vultures on the phone trying to get me to claim for all sorts of make belive injuries like whiplash, and offering me all sorts from acupuncture thearapy and stuff.
FFS all i want is my bike sorted and my helm/boots etc replaced.

rjd1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2012, 07:07:47 pm »
bike repair is easy one fix or write off
helmet and rest is a fukin nightmare if its older than 3 month they give you nxt to nowt happened to me 6 month old shoei and rest a bit older
try and get receipts looked out for yer gear bud or a mate thats just bought new and never give the original cause they have a habbit of conveniently loosin things

good luck

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2012, 07:53:13 pm »
I'll be thinking of you as I race round Castle Combe... or can you get there on the Bandit and rant it round?

Glad you are OK

59 going on 57

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2012, 09:01:54 pm »
I'll be thinking of you as I race round Castle Combe... or can you get there on the Bandit and rant it round?

Glad you are OK

Gota be at castle combe for 10:30 am i doubt they will be here that early to sort the bike and then me ride the hr to the track and sign in etc.
given the chance i would though lol

know your limitations

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 June 2012, 12:14:18 pm »
Had my spill in January. As clear cut the other guys fault as you can get. Got the settlement for mine within 2 months (not bad) but 4 months on and £1900 spent replacing luggage, clothing etc. I'm still waiting for my out of pocket expenses.
Defo try to buy back your bike (99% it will be written off). Bought my old Gen1 for £95 and sold it for £800.
The fact that you can, doesn't always mean you should.

I NEVER watch Emergency Bikers for the emergencies...

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 June 2012, 04:34:29 pm »
Defo try to buy back your bike (99% it will be written off). Bought my old Gen1 for £95 and sold it for £800.

On that subjest i was looking over the bike today before it heads off for assesment tomorrow.
There is a lot of damage spread over a wide area but 80% of it is very very minor.
To give an idea i will link a few pics. Some items like mudguard, tyre and fairing are clear cut. need replacement.
but other areas that have very light scratchs or marks i dont know if they will say the marks are to light to bother with due to the bikes age.

Engine case is just light surface marks

rubber torn and again light scratchs on the powdercoat, same on the brake pedal and the big bolt that holds the exhaust hanger.

rear plastics

wont bother linking att the rest of the stuff as they are heavyer scratchs and cracks.
but the rest is
mirror, fairing, mudguard, tyre, crash bung.
belly pan is also marked but that was marked when i grounded it on a roundabout.... they might replace it lol if i dont say thats how it touched down, but the marks on that look like it was a high speed rub lol

So all pretty minor cosmetics but will they scrap it or not? who can know for sure, will be a wait and see what they are willing to replace or just scrap it. 26k miles i think. deff will buy it back as it has loads of extras on like the ivans full monty and Ktec front fork kits, Nitron shock, blueflame exhaust, ignition advancer, gear indicator... list is longer but cant be arsed lol

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/ghostbiker/Fazer/crash%2030%2005%2012/ is the other pics

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 June 2012, 07:08:35 am »
very sorry to hear about yer accident GB, hope you get it sorted.If the bike is written off, I concur try to buy it back, if the price is right.
I had an off in 2002 which wrote off my fazer technically( slight ding to tank and frame) which would have cost the earth to replace, but was practically invisible. I accepted the damage, the bike was repaired, and I rode a further 20k miles on her before trading it in in 2005.So IMO its worth considering the options.Best to try to talk direct to the assessor.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 June 2012, 09:25:06 am »
If it gets written off and I can buy back cheaply it will become a rat project I think.
Matt black or road paint yellow LOL

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 June 2012, 10:41:31 am »
Last time I had this I was told by the other parties insurer that they could not write off my bike, only my own insurer could do that, so they coughed up the value of the bike and I kept it to break up (it was totalled).

Wise move claiming off the other guy and not your own policy.

Nowt wrong with a 1250 Bandit (apart from the seat). Much more low down torque than the Fazer.