Date: 27-04-24  Time: 16:59 pm

Author Topic: Fuel pump overflow problem (bad pump, or bad carbs?)  (Read 346 times)

Underwud

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Fuel pump overflow problem (bad pump, or bad carbs?)
« on: 15 February 2024, 05:41:38 am »
Greetings,

Recently, I encountered an issue with my FZS 600 (98'). Despite investing a significant amount of time exploring and following recommendations from my mechanics, I find myself questioning several aspects of the incident.

In brief, while riding, my bike suddenly experienced a loss of power, forcing me to pull over. Subsequently, the bike shut off, and all attempts to restart it failed. Upon inspection, I observed a substantial fuel leak originating from the air filter box and the drain hose. As a novice rider who had recently embarked on this journey, I was ill-prepared for such an unforeseen circumstance, especially considering that I had recently undertaken comprehensive maintenance, including carburetor cleaning and general servicing. As I waited for assistance to arrive and transport me to the mechanic, the fuel continued to overflow, mixing with oil, saturating the spark plugs, and ultimately depleting the fuel tank entirely.

Upon assessment, my mechanic drained the system, replaced the oil, oil filter, and spark plugs. According to their diagnosis, the malfunction stemmed from a faulty fuel pump, specifically a component responsible for regulating pressure. To elaborate in my own words, it seems that the mechanism within the fuel pump designed to control pressure, thus dictating when the pump should cease operation upon reaching maximum pressure, had become defective. Consequently, the pump continued to operate beyond its intended limits, resulting in the fuel overflow. The absence of a relay exacerbates the issue, as it could have preemptively prevented such a scenario.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation, and can you confirm the validity of my mechanic's explanation? Additionally, my mechanic suggested the installation of a vacuum valve as an additional safeguard against future occurrences.

Regarding the replacement of the fuel pump, what factors should I consider to ensure I acquire a reliable one, given the prevalence of substandard options on the market?

Thank you for your attention and assistance.

Best regards,
AJ
« Last Edit: 15 February 2024, 05:43:42 am by Underwud »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel pump overflow problem (bad pump, or bad carbs?)
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2024, 11:58:08 pm »
Fuel pump is a rare failure, perished or cracked float valve O rings allowing the fuel to flood the carbs and drown out the motor is the most likely cause of your issue