Would you be willing to take a covid vaccine  

yes
35 (71.4%)
no
6 (12.2%)
Dont know
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: The Covid thread  (Read 69129 times)

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: POLL Will you take the Vax
« Reply #50 on: 05 December 2020, 04:39:12 pm »
The approved vaccine has been developed using "Emergency Regulations" and has not undergone the extensive trails that normally take place. Its much akin to a war, where desperate need shoves aside longer term plans. The companies will be aware that, should longer term effects result, there will be no shortage of people dragging them through the courts.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 05 December 2020, 05:48:38 pm »
The approved vaccine has been developed using "Emergency Regulations" and has not undergone the extensive trails that normally take place. Its much akin to a war, where desperate need shoves aside longer term plans. The companies will be aware that, should longer term effects result, there will be no shortage of people dragging them through the courts.
No one will be allowed to take them to court.

The UK government has granted pharmaceutical giant Pfizer a legal indemnity protecting it from being sued, enabling its coronavirus vaccine to be rolled out across the country as early as next week.

The Department of Health and Social Care has confirmed the company has been given an indemnity protecting it from legal action as a result of any problems with the vaccine.

Ministers have also changed the law in recent weeks to give new protections to companies such as Pfizer, giving them immunity from being sued by patients in the event of any complications.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 06 December 2020, 12:15:19 am »
The government is taking on the liability under the Vaccine Damages Payments Act.

john roche

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000, vfr750
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 06 December 2020, 06:25:29 am »
Wealthy countries are buying up all the vaccines. Covid will continue to thrive in the '3rd World'.
The devil made me do it!

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 06 December 2020, 05:23:22 pm »
No one will be allowed to take them to court.

The UK government has granted pharmaceutical giant Pfizer a legal indemnity protecting it from being sued, enabling its coronavirus vaccine to be rolled out across the country as early as next week.

The Department of Health and Social Care has confirmed the company has been given an indemnity protecting it from legal action as a result of any problems with the vaccine.

Ministers have also changed the law in recent weeks to give new protections to companies such as Pfizer, giving them immunity from being sued by patients in the event of any complications.

Hmm. Didnt know that. The taxpayer will foot any future liabilities then?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 07 December 2020, 08:29:49 am »
The government is taking on the liability under the Vaccine Damages Payments Act.

:agree ;)
Later

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 07 December 2020, 06:01:33 pm »
Well so much for not forcing it on people 🙄

http://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-britons-back-air-travel-ban-for-people-whove-not-received-coronavirus-vaccine-poll-suggests-12154203

Surely if you've been vaccinated then your immune and you have nothing to fear from people that haven't 🤔

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 07 December 2020, 06:19:41 pm »
Well so much for not forcing it on people 🙄 http://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-britons-back-air-travel-ban-for-people-whove-not-received-coronavirus-vaccine-poll-suggests-12154203
Surely if you've been vaccinated then your immune and you have nothing to fear from people that haven't

Perhaps because you'd be flying to a country that hasn't vaccinated yet?
Unless you are just going to stay on the plane?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 07 December 2020, 08:21:51 pm »

Surely if you've been vaccinated then your immune and you have nothing to fear from people that haven't 🤔
Yep don't get it either.Maybe its because the current jab dose not stop you getting it but only reduces the symptoms also they do not even know if you can still pass it on after being vaccinated. So I don't see much point in everyone getting it.Just vaccinate the very old and the very vulnerable.   

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #59 on: 07 December 2020, 08:53:10 pm »

I was one of the people on that YouGov poll and IMO the question was phrased poorly.

What they asked was "Once a vaccine against the coronavirus is freely available to all, do you think it would or would not be acceptable to only allow people who have had a vaccination to....

"Travel by plane?"

When phrased like that, it's almost guaranteed that a majority would think "Well, I suppose it's only sensible..."

However if they'd phrased it as "Do you think it would be acceptable to ban people from travelling by plane if they hadn't had the vaccine", I think the results would have been somewhat different.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 07 December 2020, 09:26:37 pm »

I was one of the people on that YouGov poll and IMO the question was phrased poorly.

What they asked was "Once a vaccine against the coronavirus is freely available to all, do you think it would or would not be acceptable to only allow people who have had a vaccination to....

"Travel by plane?"

When phrased like that, it's almost guaranteed that a majority would think "Well, I suppose it's only sensible..."

However if they'd phrased it as "Do you think it would be acceptable to ban people from travelling by plane if they hadn't had the vaccine", I think the results would have been somewhat different.

Yes I totally agree. It sounds very much like they have taken the typical journalistic approach of bending the truth in the news 🙄

As for the vaccine, I doubt it worth trying to vaccinate everyone as there are just too many that don't want it. As Fazersharp said save it for the elderly and vulnerable. Those of us young or healthy enough to not worry about it will be fine, just like the seasonal flu.
I think faster more accurate testing it the most viable option and they seem to be getting there. My wife and all her coleages in the materiality ward have been given 3 months worth of 'rapid tests' that they will be using twice a week. I've not seen her use one yet but from my understanding the results are shown within half an hour!
If they can build on that and get it down to a few minutes then that could be a real game changer with regards to thing like concerts, sports events and especially travel. It would just need up being another few minutes you spend in security at the airport?
Either way that along with this vaccine is a promising step in the right direction for a change

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #61 on: 07 December 2020, 10:23:37 pm »
Wealthy countries are buying up all the vaccines. Covid will continue to thrive in the '3rd World'.
Astra Zeneca are offering their vaccine at cost price to third world countries for perpetuity:https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/nov/23/oxford-astrazeneca-results-covid-vaccine-developing-countriesThe hope is this will give them a vaccine they can afford so Covid cannot thrive.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 07 December 2020, 10:26:55 pm »
As far as I can find out it has not been tested on the very vunerable that are first in line to get it.
Well there's some serious ethical dilemma's in trialling a new experiment drug in a population who are very vulnerable, in case side effects are happen to be found...

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 07 December 2020, 10:32:43 pm »
As Fazersharp said save it for the elderly and vulnerable. Those of us young or healthy enough to not worry about it will be fine, just like the seasonal flu.
Except the evidence shows it's not quite like seasonal flu, with many young and healthy people being hit badly with some very worrying long term issues. Organ damage, loss of smell/taste, heart issues and other complications from the spread of tiny clots from the fall out. Many of which we're still coming to light and slowly being linked to Covid. Not to mention many young and healthy people from BAME background who have not faired well at all.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 07 December 2020, 10:49:33 pm »
Canna understand this whole anti-vax thing and TBH I'm gonna even try to understand it. If you don't want to vaccinate, your choice, survival of the fittest and all that, go score yourself a Darwin award.

At the end of the day, I'm paying plenty enough tax, some of which (not enough) will go to NHS and possibly help you. My wife is working 12hr shifts 3-4 times a week in ICU, decked out in whatever PPE she can get hold of and will be ready to drag you through it on a ventilator (if you're lucky enough). My employer (www.titian.co.uk) and dev team I manage produce software used at countless pharmaceutical and bio-tech companies across the globe, helping them in their research for all kinds of future drugs that might save your sorry ass. I've spent 8 years with them working with many of the biggies, GSK, AstraZeneca, Roche, Janssen, Pfizer, Evotec, Merck, Sanofi, Novo Nordisk and many others, I've visited and worked in the labs at many and I can assure you, there's some bloody clever people out there working their hardest to stop you getting sick.
But, if you'd rather take heed of some mumbo-jumbo off some random Facebook group of clueless Luddites, go for it. But spreading disinformation is as damaging as spreading the virus itself.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 07 December 2020, 11:04:30 pm »
But, if you'd rather take heed of some mumbo-jumbo off some random Facebook group of clueless Luddites, go for it. But spreading disinformation is as damaging as spreading the virus itself.
no one is spreading disinformation, or reading fake news Facebook crap. Calm down.
« Last Edit: 07 December 2020, 11:13:30 pm by fazersharp »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 07 December 2020, 11:11:05 pm »

My wife and all her coleages in the materiality ward have been given 3 months worth of 'rapid tests' that they will be using twice a week. I've not seen her use one yet but from my understanding the results are shown within half an hour!
Did she also tell you that if she gets a positive result from the lateral flow test that she then has to get a proper pcr test to confirm it. Seems that they are happy to accept a negative LFT but not a positive.
« Last Edit: 07 December 2020, 11:12:35 pm by fazersharp »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 07 December 2020, 11:21:35 pm »
As for the vaccine, I doubt it worth trying to vaccinate everyone as there are just too many that don't want it.

The point is not to "vaccinate everyone", but to vaccinate *enough" people that we can't get outbreaks again because the R Number will be low enough to stop it spreading.

Those of us young or healthy enough to not worry about it will be fine, just like the seasonal flu.

I'm 55 (ye gods!) but I'm pretty healthy, not overweight, keep myself fit etc, however today I got a phone call offering me the annual Flu Jab.

I wasn't sure whether to have it or not, simply because I couldn't really see any benefit to myself, however then I considered that the downsides of *not* having it (not the least putting my severely asthmatic girlfriend at risk) were serious enough to outweigh any other factors, so I called the Doctors and booked it in for Wednesday.

Rememer that, just because you're "young and healthy", doesn't mean that you're *not* going to have problems with COVID and, with the risk of symptomless transmission, you could pass it on to someone else who is going to have problems.

I think faster more accurate testing it the most viable option

Had we put our efforts into testing and tracing contacts of people at the start of the Pandemic (and not freely letting people from virus hotspots to fly into the country and then merrily travel on their way), we could have probably reduced the severity of it by a large amount!

Either way that along with this vaccine is a promising step in the right direction for a change

That's one of the few upsides, it's been a wake-up call for those in power and the medical sciences are, at least, being listened to, rather than ignored.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 07 December 2020, 11:26:36 pm »
Did she also tell you that if she gets a positive result from the lateral flow test that she then has to get a proper pcr test to confirm it. Seems that they are happy to accept a negative LFT but not a positive.
Probably because:a) It's still a good way to catch asymptomatic patients or those not yet showing symptoms. Even though its not a 100% accurate test, it's still good to catch those who wouldn't be tested otherwise. Whilst those showing symptoms will likely be pretty ill and be given a PCR test anyway.b) Although it has a low false positive rate (0.32% ish), the socio-economically ramifications of telling someone (and housemates) to isolate for 14 days is great, so why not double check them with a PCR test to confirm they do indeed have covid?
c) To test everyone with the PCR test is a huge drain on resources, with resources needing to go to screening labs etc. The LFT is a reasonable first pass test to help bring cases down.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 07 December 2020, 11:37:22 pm »
Probably because:a) It's still a good way to catch asymptomatic patients or those not yet showing symptoms. Even though its not a 100% accurate test, it's still good to catch those who wouldn't be tested otherwise. Whilst those showing symptoms will likely be pretty ill and be given a PCR test anyway.b) Although it has a low false positive rate (0.32% ish), the socio-economically ramifications of telling someone (and housemates) to isolate for 14 days is great, so why not double check them with a PCR test to confirm they do indeed have covid?
c) To test everyone with the PCR test is a huge drain on resources, with resources needing to go to screening labs etc. The LFT is a reasonable first pass test to help bring cases down.
Trouble with the LFT is that it is not very sensitive and can only detect covid when it is at a higher viral load, even though they have already been contagious before that level, which is why the trial for the test is for it to be taken every 3 days.
It certainly is better than no test at all though. Given time hopefully it will become more sensitive and accurate. I can see a time in the future at an airport a "fast track" lane for people with a vaccine stamp in the passport and another line for people without it that then after take a test before flying.
« Last Edit: 08 December 2020, 08:16:34 am by fazersharp »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 08 December 2020, 10:43:07 am »
I can see a time in the future at an airport a "fast track" lane for people with a vaccine stamp in the passport and another line for people without it

I can see a time coming very soon where people start trying to fake this...

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 08 December 2020, 11:44:44 am »
Standing out for me in this crisis has been the sheer number of people who appear to have an utter disregard for the health and safety of others. They dont appear to have grasped the severity of the effects, both on people and the economy. Sadly, most appear to be the younger generation, the Snowflakes, who require total freedom without any responsibility, and they appear to have demonstrated that, in a crisis, the government can no longer expect citizens to "do their duty".
« Last Edit: 08 December 2020, 01:03:13 pm by BBROWN1664 »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #72 on: 08 December 2020, 01:04:10 pm »
Standing out for me in this crisis has been the sheer number of people who appear to have an utter disregard for the health and safety of others. They dont appear to have grasped the severity of the effects, both on people and the economy. Sadly, most appear to be the younger generation, the Snowflakes, who require total freedom without any responsibility, and they appear to have demonstrated that, in a crisis, the government can no longer expect citizens to "do their duty".

Proof of this can be seen in places like Medway and Swale where despite the lockdown, numbers are still rising
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 08 December 2020, 02:28:12 pm »
Proof of this can be seen in places like Medway and Swale where despite the lockdown, numbers are still rising
You're right of course, but I think in Medway and Swale it's mainly the Millwall supporters  :D

john roche

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000, vfr750
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 10 December 2020, 01:04:30 pm »
I was chatting to our local pharmacist yesterday. He was saying they because we've already had Covid virus like Sars they didn't need to start from scratch, it was a development of what they already had. Also it was funded properly.
The devil made me do it!