Date: 18-05-24  Time: 18:04 pm

Author Topic: Exup system  (Read 8157 times)

kab

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Exup system
« on: 31 December 2012, 06:40:16 pm »
Having purchased a FZS1000 with NO valve installed in the exhaust, :( . What is the view on now fitting one £800ish or salvage purchase or new frontpipe replacement system or do nothing. I am a steady rider not a racer!

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Exup system
« Reply #1 on: 31 December 2012, 06:58:08 pm »
If you can get a valve into the current downpipes you've got, then personally I'd have a nose to see if you can find a breaker that will sell you a valve, then it's just a matter of stick it on. Otherwise, there's a couple sets of downpipes on eBay at the moment you could cannibalise/stick onto your bike, whatever comes out easiest.
If anything, if you're not revvving the bike a lot then you'll actually notice the benefits of a valve even more, as they serve to boost torque at low to medium revs!

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2012, 07:09:07 pm »
Is the servo still fitted, how about the cables?

Shop around at the breakers as they can charge silly money.

Good luck

kab

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2012, 07:30:22 pm »
Unfortunately I trusted the bike was perfect!!! The (7) showed on the Tacho as my first worry but it was too late then, I have read up on it (Haynes) and stripped the exup covers on the exhaust, the exhaust is empty! and the wheel is missing for the cables, both cables are free. The servo was faulting but on taking the unit out and inspecting it, it now works and all the nylon coggs seem good, so I dont know what caused it to fail. The breakers selling a unit are twice the rate I would expect and buying 8 year old parts is a risk in itself. Should I look for an alternative say R1, Thunderace, or Americam E-Bay

allanmac

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 December 2012, 08:05:14 pm »
Buying the parts new will be mega expensive. I take it the cover for the shaft  has been plugged? I would go for a used set of down pipes and strip the valve out and install in your ones.
Cheers Allan

bigandyuk1

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2012, 08:15:25 pm »
I am in exactly the same position  :'( I removed the cover from the exup to find a completely seized valve (which has been damaged beyond repair and to top it off the bolts have all sheared. I priced up new and it came in at £1193.71 for the pipes and another £500 ish for the valve. I to have looked at the non EXUP downpipes on ebay at £220ish and wonder if this is the only affordable way around...... I have had the bike just over a week and feel the fault was known about when I was sold the bike. Wish I had been on here and looked up the EXUP problems.  :b

allanmac

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2012, 08:28:15 pm »
My old R1 had the exup removed and  it ran fine. My bro in law works at a yamaha dealer they use wurth AL1100 to lube the exup kind of expensive for a small can but seems to work pretty well. Have given it a try so will see how it lasts. Its aluminium based and heat resistant up to 1100 degrees.
Cheers Allan

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 December 2012, 11:06:54 pm »
Won't run right without one.
Get a replacement valve, either off another Fazer1000 or the valve from the earliest R1 model, which also is a straight fit

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 December 2012, 11:23:29 pm »
some one here is breaking a gen 1. might be your best shot.
As above the exup is worth having. and if looked affter is pretty problem free. its when neglected that the nightmare starts.

the exupfree downpipes on ebay are ment to be "ok" but you do lose a lot of fueling so low down tourqe and midrange will be lost to a lesser degree than no exup but not great.

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 December 2012, 11:46:17 pm »
fazer will run with out but there is a flat spot because of the lack of the valve

tbh it's less pronounced if the bike has been ivanized

sandy bike spare do replacment headers with out exup never tried them but an option

i have ran akro headers without exup and really didnt notice any difference but then mike has ivanized every fazer ive had so cant speak for stock jetting

no doubt the maestro falcon will be along to offer his angle on the subject
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 January 2013, 01:46:22 am »
I bought my exup valve from America,it was the same price as one in the uk but in a lot better condition,as to the R1 valve the valve is the same but the cable guide is different

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 January 2013, 01:49:57 am »
here is a set of downpipes on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FZS1000-5LV-FZS-1000-FAZER-2001-2005-FRONT-EXHAUST-DOWN-PIPES-/281040917931?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item416f5815ab the exup valve looks to be in place but worth checking with the seller

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 January 2013, 09:09:22 am »
These peeps in the USA do headers :http://www.holeshot.com/ $539 = £332 ish plus shipping

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 January 2013, 11:33:09 am »
I wouldn't go the Sandy Spares route, personally ... you'd be swapping one flat spot for another because those headers are designed to work correctly with the 5-valve Yamaha head.  Yes, I know the ad says no rejetting required etc, but I have a dyno chart showing otherwise.

Look out for a replacement valve (or headers with valve) on ebay, UK and USA.  Consider Euro ebay search, too.  Save the search and get e-mail notifications of all new listings as soon as they hit the site. 

Early model R1 valve components are identical.  The headers aren't, though.  You need the 4XV/5JJ version.  I also recall reading somewhere that Thunderace EXUPs are the same as ours.