Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:43 pm

Author Topic: Comp Damp Adjusters - again  (Read 1539 times)

Old-Git

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW RT - and my Fazer
    • View Profile
Comp Damp Adjusters - again
« on: 21 February 2019, 06:07:08 pm »
Mine are cream crackered. Anyone know which of these will / might fit? Or should i just leave the seized ones on the bike and live with it?

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
Re: Comp Damp Adjusters - again
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2019, 06:34:17 pm »
Hi.
Literally just gone through exactly the same thing myself and, due to the rubbish design of the ones on the Fazer, they can't be replaced by any pattern ones.
Also, Yamaha won't sell them on their own - you have to buy a complete fork leg lower with them fitted.
I was really lucky in that I managed to buy a working pair on FleaBay that had been removed from a crash damaged bike with only 9k miles on the clock, thanks to another eagle eyed Foccer.

Only one of my originals had seized so I did keep the other one that was still working so, if you can only find one, you're welcome to it if you cover the postage.

Gotta keep those Fazers as good as possible!!
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2019, 07:19:38 pm »
As an alternative, I'll soon be selling a pair of new Racetech compression valves (somehow I ordered two sets from the States by mistake). You essentially bypass the fork leg's external screw setup as you tailor the internal valve shimstack to your own weight (comes with a Racetech access code). They cost me about £180 inc import tax but could let them go to a fellow f0ccer for a bit less. Obviously tracking down a trashed pair of forks would be a cheaper, but you're stuck with the mediocre damping.

My own forks have these fitted, as well RaceTech's rebound valves: haven't felt the need to adjust anything yet and I'm probably a bit fussy when it comes to suspension  ;)
Guide here:   http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67950
& here (for FJR1300) which shares the exact same valves:    http://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127506

ram

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2019, 11:01:06 pm »
theres a lower leg with an adjuster in here but dont know if its working?https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZ1000-Fazor-Right-Fork-Bottom/273703030328?hash=item3fb9f8ce38:g:n0cAAOSwnDxUihXF:rk:4:pf:0

Old-Git

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2019, 09:37:12 am »
Ta for all the replies and offers etc. Shame the k-tech ones don't fit. I reckon I'll just change fork oil - I assume top nut off and turning then upside down gets it all out? and new springs - any thoughts on hyperpro, wilbers or k-tech?

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2019, 09:37:21 pm »
I find it hard to accept the ktec adjuster won’t fit. If anyone has a spare fork bottom. Unscrew the comp adjuster out and measure the thread size and pitch, something will fit.

ArchDruid

• DAS Born Again
  • wearing my tyres with pride
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Tiger 1050; YZF750/1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 March 2019, 10:32:40 pm »
It just so happens that I made a note of these dimensions when I was having similar issues.
I also looked at those same K-Tec ones as possible replacements …

I've attached the rough sketch of the original adjuster, if it may be of use to anyone.
The accuracy of the drawing and/or dimensions may be questionable but they should be close enough to give you a good idea  :-)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 March 2019, 09:58:56 am »
nice drawing mate, bloody helpful, though its a shame you live in Australia ;)

ArchDruid

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2019, 04:32:52 pm »
Australia ??!  …. oh, I get it now ….  lol !  :-)

Old-Git

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 March 2019, 01:28:41 pm »
Well I bought wilbers springs and seals / bushes kit can I get the forks apart can I FOC so they are in the local bike shop someone else can have the grief thought it best to stop before I took an angry grinder to them LOL rant mode off.

ArchDruid

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 March 2019, 04:15:59 pm »
When I did mine it was quite an effort to split the tubes from the sliders.
Haynes manual says 'pull the tube sharply outwards until the bottom bush strikes the top bush. Take care not to do this forcibly'. 
yeah, right ..... it required a lot of 'forcibly', and several times ! So much that I had to replace the metal washers between the seals & top bushes - the metal washers had become cone shaped !  :eek
I guess my original seals had been in there for quite some time.....

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 April 2019, 11:13:21 pm »
Ta for all the replies and offers etc. Shame the k-tech ones don't fit. I reckon I'll just change fork oil - I assume top nut off and turning then upside down gets it all out? and new springs - any thoughts on hyperpro, wilbers or k-tech?

I've just been to the k-tech site for these put in my bike fzs1000 03 and these R1's  came up   surely they must be compatible otherwise why would K-tech lead us to them
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)