Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:12 pm

Author Topic: Dropping forks.  (Read 980 times)

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Dropping forks.
« on: 27 June 2018, 05:32:34 pm »
hi all.
Sorry if this has been done before but if not here’s a question for those who have done it.
When dropping the front forks do I need to loosen the top yoke bolts only or both top and bottom yoke bolts.
Many thanks.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Dropping forks.
« Reply #1 on: 27 June 2018, 05:37:41 pm »
You need to loosen both, but first you'll need some way to support the front of the bike up off the ground. If you don't have a front paddock stand that goes underneath the bottom yoke, you can get away with a trolley jack & plank of thick wood under the header pipes.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 June 2018, 07:26:36 pm »
You need to loosen both, but first you'll need some way to support the front of the bike up off the ground. If you don't have a front paddock stand that goes underneath the bottom yoke, you can get away with a trolley jack & plank of thick wood under the header pipes.
:agree  I used my car jack to support the weight of the front of the bike, loosened the bolts then lowered the bike down the forks to where I wanted it using the jack. Highly recommend this free mod to anyone as it will noticeably improve the bikes handling, as will a 25mm Jack-up kit if you're not too short of leg.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 June 2018, 08:51:26 pm »
Just do one side at a time while on the center stand, a simple twist of the leg is all that's needed to smoothly move it to the desired height above the yoke. 
Intentionally left blank

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2018, 08:00:57 am »
Thanks for the replies, I won’t be doing the rear jack up as I am on the shorter side, looking to have the seat reprofiled too.

ram

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2018, 08:56:36 am »
Thanks for the replies, I won’t be doing the rear jack up as I am on the shorter side, looking to have the seat reprofiled too.
im the samei dropped the forks and changed the dogbones to lower the rear so i can keep the same seat