Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:28 pm

Author Topic: Exup valve. What noise does a loose one make?  (Read 2731 times)

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Exup valve. What noise does a loose one make?
« on: 19 June 2021, 06:41:44 pm »
Almost since as long back as I can remember my bike has been making a noise that I’ve been unable to locate.
The closest I can get to describing it is that it sounds like the rattle you get from the clutch basket when you pull the clutch in.
Its not overly loud but I do notice it up to around 30 to 40mph. It might be there at higher speed but its drowned out by other noises.

Its a constant tone and doesn’t change with road speed or if the clutch is in or out.
I’ve checked just about everything from fairing panels rattling , through from mudguard resonating to chain tension.
I did at one point think it was the front tyre as it seemed to disappear after I replaced it, but I soon heard it again.

The one thing that’s just struck me was that perhaps its no more than a loose Exup valve rattling  away.
Could it be this? I’ve serviced it regularly so I know its free. I wonder if its too free!

« Last Edit: 19 June 2021, 06:42:30 pm by NitramA »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Exup valve. What noise does a loose one make?
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2021, 06:53:39 pm »
It's like something loose with a tinkling sound at 30 to 40 on/off throttle. Normally if really loose it rattles like someone tapping a spanner on the exhaust at tickover when cold.

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2021, 07:53:22 pm »
It's like something loose with a tinkling sound at 30 to 40 on/off throttle. Normally if really loose it rattles like someone tapping a spanner on the exhaust at tickover when cold.

Hmm, I’m not sure if it’s that. I hear something that’s quite a low frequency , but the speed seems about right.
I’ve just had a look at the valve and there’s some lateral movement (maybe  3 mm in/out) . Is that acceptable?

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2021, 09:59:03 pm »
It's like something loose with a tinkling sound at 30 to 40 on/off throttle. Normally if really loose it rattles like someone tapping a spanner on the exhaust at tickover when cold.”

That’s exactly what mine sounds like, rattling at tick over. Bizarrely, it didn’t do it before I had it refurbed. Did nothing to the EXUP so don’t understand what has changed. Anything that you can do about it??

I’ve serviced it regularly and had it apart again as soon as I noticed it rattling. But all the constituent parts were present and correct.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

[cleaned up broken html - bkd]
« Last Edit: 20 June 2021, 11:47:50 am by b1k3rdude »

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 June 2021, 09:03:54 am »
Adjust the cable and it will stop, it is hitting the Exhaust when fully closed

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 June 2021, 09:47:53 am »
SkidT - Hijack away  :lol

I’m going to have another look at this as my hearing is shot and maybe I’m missing the pinging and only hearing the lower frequencies.
The cable has been adjusted to “rest” with the fork aligned with the hole but I’m going to see if there are any witness marks where the valve is hitting the exhaust.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2021, 09:59:45 am »
You may haver to much play in the cables

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 June 2021, 05:10:09 pm »
Thanks very much NitramA and unfazed. 👍

Mike-FZS

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 June 2021, 08:24:56 pm »
I have this rattle too. Very annoying. However seeing as I have no valve in and it blanked currently I don’t know what it is. My next plan is to remove the bush the other side as that is where the sound seems to be coming from
« Last Edit: 20 June 2021, 08:25:36 pm by Mike-FZS »

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 June 2021, 01:42:24 pm »
I’ve inspected and adjusted the cables so I don’t believe that’s the source of the noise so the search goes on…..
Not been for a ride yet but the valve seems quiet enough when revving it up.

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 August 2021, 03:44:57 pm »
It sounds a bit like a CBR600Y with a loose camchain.

At least mine did.

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 October 2021, 03:14:25 pm »
After having checked the bike over for the umpteenth time I’d convinced myself that as the noise only seems to happens on rough road surfaces that it’s the front tyre that was worn and was causing the noise.
So I’d just stuffed some earplugs in and enjoyed the Summer.
The noise was still there but life’s too short and all that.

However…. I’ve just put the bike up on its ramp and happen to grab hold the (now free to rotate) front wheel.
If I rotate it back and forth a couple of degrees I get a noise that very similar to the noise I hear.
Is it normal for the pads to knock as you rotate the wheel? There’s no noise if you rotate in one direction, just when you go back and forth.
I’ve tried to hold the brake pads and pins to take out slack but the knocks still there.
Just wanted to check before I go down another rat hole!!

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 October 2021, 05:18:36 pm »
As  a bit more detail I’ve just taken the callipers off and it’s the same on both of them.
The knock is because the pad is held in with one pin so the pad is free to rotate around it and the knock is coming from the the pad rotating into the calliper.
So I’m assuming this in normal even though it’s quite a knock?

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 October 2021, 10:06:22 pm »
As  a bit more detail I’ve just taken the callipers off and it’s the same on both of them.
The knock is because the pad is held in with one pin so the pad is free to rotate around it and the knock is coming from the the pad rotating into the calliper.

Might be worth ordering some new pins
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 October 2021, 11:01:45 am »

Might be worth ordering some new pins

I’d agree if they looked worn but they don’t and more importantly the holes in the pads seem to be elongated anyway so can’t see that would make much of a difference (unless it’s got the wrong pads installed that is!)

Are your pads able to a”rock” in your callipers?

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 October 2021, 05:04:58 pm »
I know that you have probably already checked this, but have you made sure the the spring washers on the disc bobbins aren't tired, and the noise is the disc jiggling on the carrier. I had a ZZR600 that did exactly what you describe, and it was the spring washers on the bobbins which had just lost their "Spring".

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 October 2021, 10:04:35 am »
I know that you have probably already checked this, but have you made sure the the spring washers on the disc bobbins aren't tired, and the noise is the disc jiggling on the carrier. I had a ZZR600 that did exactly what you describe, and it was the spring washers on the bobbins which had just lost their "Spring".

I think that's exactly what has happened. I've been looking on various forums and it seems the R1 and FJ1300 with bluespot calipers suffer with the same problem. The general consensus was that it's normal, but after cleaning up the calipers (I noticed that one piston was slow to move on each of them) the noise is much less on one than the other. One post mentioned that replacing the spring clip with an 06 R6 caliper fixes the rattle. I think it's a case of the tolerances and wear adding up to allow movement and the rattle.
It's a shame that I didn't track this down whilst the bike was I the road as it's SORN’d now or i’d have thought to touch the brakes to see if the noise disappeared.

As it's such an easy replacement I’ll probably just clean and lubricate everything and see if that fixes it. If not I’ll start swapping things.