Date: 19-04-24  Time: 20:54 pm

Author Topic: Healtech Thunderbox: De-clutter your battery terminals.  (Read 1543 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Healtech Thunderbox: De-clutter your battery terminals.
« on: 29 June 2020, 10:48:58 am »
The issue of connecting lots of electrical items to the bike has effected all of us at one point other another, and when there is more than 2 its becomes a mess of ring terminals around the battery. Enter the Healtch Thunderbox, and here is a video explaining in detail -

AndyManCam fitting -

« Last Edit: 21 July 2020, 10:49:44 am by b1k3rdude »

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
Re: Healtech Thunderbox: De-clutter your battery terminals.
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2020, 11:02:25 am »
good idea.  :thumbup
i did me own clean up version, but i can see the merits of the thunderbox

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2020, 11:18:20 am »
Interesting, but, given the lack of space under the seat of the FZ6, there's no room to actually fit one...!

(Also sticking an old foam earplug under the nut on the battery terminals is a good way to keep them in place whilst you fasten the bolt :thumbup )

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 29 June 2020, 12:47:08 pm »
(Also sticking an old foam earplug under the nut on the battery terminals is a good way to keep them in place whilst you fasten the bolt :thumbup )

I have cable ties under my battery terminals. Serves two purposed. First, when you pull the ties upwards, it holds the nut inside the terminal. Second, the end of the tie gives you something to hold to lift/lower the battery
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 June 2020, 03:53:05 pm »
I have cable ties under my battery terminals. Serves two purposed. First, when you pull the ties upwards, it holds the nut inside the terminal. Second, the end of the tie gives you something to hold to lift/lower the battery
Got pics as I cant picture in my mind what your describing..

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2020, 05:35:14 pm »
I always find it a bit precarious lifting the battery out because you can only get your fingertips on just the top part really can't you. I make sure my hands are clean and grippy beforehand so there's less chance if it slipping and dropping back down. I also gently tie the terminals and securing strap just out of the way of the holder to give clear access in and out.

At least the Fazer battery is reasonably light. Those car batteries that don't come with a carrying handle are awkward to reach over and lower in sometimes. With all the plumbing and electrics that's under the bonnet nowadays 15kg of battery is the last thing you want to be dropping in there :'(

The Rocketeer

• Pacman
    Cymru am byth
    Askin' for a foccin' bannin too
    Really geeky & crap
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ROCKET 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 June 2020, 06:29:20 pm »
The earplug thing is a good idea, does earwax help prevent the terminals corroding?
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 June 2020, 12:37:18 pm »
yes it does, if it's the thick brown stuff, also great for waterproofing your boots.

steve65

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1200S
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 June 2020, 04:36:49 pm »
That's interesting. It looks good.    I recently converted from stacks of ring terminals to 'Wago connectors'.  I attach one 5 port wago to each battery terminal using six inches of 1mm single core and then attach up to four peripheral items to the wago's.  The snap connectors are pretty safe but just in case, I wrap them with electrical tape to ensure the orange levers never get pulled open.  They take up very little room and on the Fazer they drop down into the recess just in front of the battery. I'm never running anything like 20amps so they're fine. Also, Amazon will sell you a pack of five for £4.   Next time i'm at my bike i'll take a few pics. 

wago by . ., on Flickr
« Last Edit: 30 June 2020, 04:41:46 pm by steve65 »

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 June 2020, 06:40:03 pm »

I made my own with a 12 way chocolate block. Cost me about 50p.

St3veP

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 July 2020, 09:46:30 pm »

What a really great idea. Used a few in a wiring job at home. Never even thought about using on the bike. Much cheaper in Screwfix though!

[qu[size=78%]ote author=steve65 link=topic=26294.msg317185#msg317185 date=1593531409][/size]
That's interesting. It looks good.    I recently converted from stacks of ring terminals to 'Wago connectors'.  I attach one 5 port wago to each battery terminal using six inches of 1mm single core and then attach up to four peripheral items to the wago's.  The snap connectors are pretty safe but just in case, I wrap them with electrical tape to ensure the orange levers never get pulled open.  They take up very little room and on the Fazer they drop down into the recess just in front of the battery. I'm never running anything like 20amps so they're fine. Also, Amazon will sell you a pack of five for £4.   Next time i'm at my bike i'll take a few pics. 

wago by . ., on Flickr

steve65

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1200S
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 July 2020, 08:08:28 pm »
Yeah, I bought a rake of different sizes/ports from AliExpress but not as many as one needs to buy from Screwfix to get the good price.