Date: 22-05-24  Time: 15:22 pm

Author Topic: Sudden change in clutch action  (Read 1474 times)

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Sudden change in clutch action
« on: 17 January 2017, 12:39:31 pm »
The clutch action is noticeably lighter today and I've no idea why.  It feels like I'd expect a clutch on a new bike to feel, I can operate it with one finger now.  The slack and bite points are the same as they were before and driveability/useability seem unaffected too.

Last week I rode home in the snow.  Yesterday I gave the bike a clean, but only a general wash down and didn't pay any particular attention to the clutch lever and haven't lubricated it.

Any ideas what's going on - it's unnerving.  I don't like it when things suddenly change what they are doing.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Sudden change in clutch action
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2017, 02:04:06 pm »

Either your hand has suddenly become a lot stronger or some debris that was obstructing movement has cleared. Neither of these sound very likely.
The other possibility is that something's broken in the clutch itself, a failed spring for example. Since road conditions haven't been ideal for flat-out acceleration recently it's possible that a weak clutch would go unnoticed other than at the lever. 8500rpm with the throttle fully open should provoke clutch slip if one of the springs isn't working.

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2017, 08:29:06 pm »

Either your hand has suddenly become a lot stronger or some debris that was obstructing movement has cleared. Neither of these sound very likely.
The other possibility is that something's broken in the clutch itself, a failed spring for example. Since road conditions haven't been ideal for flat-out acceleration recently it's possible that a weak clutch would go unnoticed other than at the lever. 8500rpm with the throttle fully open should provoke clutch slip if one of the springs isn't working.

I concur. 
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2017, 08:46:26 am »
You could pop the clutch cover off and have a look. If you do it carefully you should be able to re-use the gasket. You won't need to drain the oil as long as the engine is cold because the oil will have settled in the sump. If there's nothing obviously wrong get someone to pull the lever for you and look for damaged springs or a cracked pressure plate when the lever is pulled. If you can't see anything wrong there have a look behind the sprocket cover and the actuator, then the cable and lever

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2017, 01:59:21 pm »
Not experiencing any clutch slip, regardless of gear/revs.  Will have to try and find time to take things apart.

Is there a return spring inside the sprocket cover?  If so, perhaps that's broken?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2017, 02:06:17 pm »
Not experiencing any clutch slip, regardless of gear/revs.  Will have to try and find time to take things apart.

Is there a return spring inside the sprocket cover?  If so, perhaps that's broken?
There is, though it's fairly weak... only there to pull the lever back to position. Mine failed last year and I didn't notice any change in the amount of force I had to apply to disengage the clutch.