Date: 17-05-24  Time: 23:04 pm

Author Topic: Best Bike to insure  (Read 2900 times)

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Best Bike to insure
« on: 15 February 2012, 09:09:43 am »
Step daughter just passed her bike test !8 yr old h]done cbt 1 yr with 1 yr ncd on 125cc, so got a quote for an SV650 she rather likes  :eek :eek :eek :eek ffs £2500 its  more than the bike was going to cost her lol

so ideas on decent bike with a tag thats cheap to insure please
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Best Bike to insure
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2012, 10:09:09 am »
Honda CBF250? It's group 6 rather than the SV650's group 9.
If that's too pricey then there isn't much choice beyond another 125. Tell her to stick with tiddlers until she's 21 when the insurance should take a steep drop... combined with another 3 years NCB that should get things more affordable.
Either that or find a more generous step-dad. :D

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2012, 10:45:41 am »
if she don’t mine the style cruisers are cheaper to insure than most
Its just a ride

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2012, 11:56:46 am »
Not a full list, but take a look here http://www.powerseeker.co.uk/motorbike-insurance-groups.php

A lad I know was in the same predicament and he decided on the YBR250 based on isurance (and a very good deal from George White in early January) but was also keen on a GS500 which he thought performance wise was the best bike for insurance group, but the deals for the purchase were not so good.

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2012, 12:19:04 pm »
 Look to a GPz500S, some of them might even have moved into the cheapo classic bracket by now. They are all cheap to buy, bombproof, economical, fast enough and female friendly, (low seat,  lowish c od g etc) Nice bike.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2012, 12:25:36 pm »
Look to a GPz500S, some of them might even have moved into the cheapo classic bracket by now. They are all cheap to buy, bombproof, economical, fast enough and female friendly, (low seat,  lowish c od g etc) Nice bike.

Thats a good thought - just had a look on autotrader, surprised to see there's quite a few of them still around too.

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2012, 01:11:06 pm »

Thats a good thought - just had a look on autotrader, surprised to see there's quite a few of them still around too.

Yep loads. I'd avoid the original one with 16'' wheels, 'obvious tyre choice issues and getting very old now. I'd go for a mid 2000s one with the twin disc although the single disc is fine if you keep the caliper sweet and use decent pads. The standard exhaust is desirable too, it works better than the motad pipe they all end up with and the standard cans are cheap and easy to replace anyway.
 Girls tend to fall in love with the electric blue and silver colour scheme which doesn't look too bad, unfortunately the gpz500s was cursed with awful bubblegum wrapper paintjobs and graphics throughout most of its production life (pink and grey with blue pinstripes anyone?).

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 February 2012, 01:55:06 pm »
I had one, traded it in for the Fazer after 3 years mainly because of the mid-range buzz that gave my gentleman's parts pins and needles.
Definitely "female-friendly"... it's a 60bhp vibrator. :lol
Still group 8 insurance though, so may not help in this instance.

The Rocketeer

• Pacman
    Cymru am byth
    Askin' for a foccin' bannin too
    Really geeky & crap
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ROCKET 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 February 2012, 02:59:38 pm »
Bonneville?
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 February 2012, 09:38:56 pm »
Kawasaki ER5 might be worth a look. can pick them up dirt cheap and tbh i like the styling.
It was a tad too small for me but would suit a lady better i think.
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 February 2012, 09:16:48 pm »
If she's 18, it will need restricted. Why not find a 250 or thereabouts. Should be much cheaper to insure, then when the restriction passes, big bike hilarity for a lower price would surely follow
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

donkey93

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 February 2012, 10:35:06 am »
she should be able to insure a sv650 for about £500 tpft or are you looking at fc

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 February 2012, 06:21:52 pm »
Daughter passed her test at 19 and moved from her 125 to an ER5 with a 33bhp kit allready fitted.
she wanted something she could flat foot with ease. it gave her loads of confidence. she wanted a fazer but the insurance was just a tad to much added to the extra cost of the bike.
So a ER5 for £700ish and then it was worth going tpft where as £1200 + for a fazer ment she needed FC to be safe. and the fc was around £1100 on the fazer where as TPFT on the ER was £350

no brainer realy when both have to be restricted to 33 bhp anyway
with the kit fitted it happly holds 90 all day on the mway and will eventualy build to about 100 is fairly nippy 0-70 so on most A roads she still gets to filter etc