Date: 17-05-24  Time: 05:08 am

Author Topic: Engine turning over but will not fire up  (Read 1911 times)

red imp

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Engine turning over but will not fire up
« on: 11 October 2014, 08:44:14 pm »
Hi
I started the bike up this morning and the engine turned over fine on the button but would not fire up, I have had the bike seven months and it has not missed a beat until now.  I am totally baffled at why this has happened this morning. I changed the end can to a Leo vince a couple of months ago but as I said the bike has not missed a beat until now.  Has anyone had the same problem or knows what the problem could be? Fazer FZ1 on a 2010 plate.
Ride for today coz you never know what tomorrow holds.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Engine turning over but will not fire up
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2014, 10:13:27 pm »
Mine does this and I've replaced the battery.....still does it.....upped the idle speed, replaced the exhaust baffle, new air filter.......still does it..........if i just switch off the ignition and power up again then it will often start straight away.......sometimes it will take 2 power off and back ons.

Battery is usually the culprit but in my case I've been advised to go through all my electrical connectors and detach, spray and disconnect each one a few times as it could be a dodgy or corroded connection somewhere but i just haven't got round to doing it yet.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2014, 10:31:17 am »
Mornings are now cold and damp, could maybe just be that. Try spraying electrics with Wd40 or similiar , see if that helps.

red imp

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2014, 10:58:21 am »
Thanks for the advice , I will give it a go . The bike is garaged overnight.  The dealer I bought the bike off suggests I crank the throttle open to send a message to the ecu to release extra fuel? 

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2014, 11:51:05 am »
On a cold engine the ecu will add more fuel anyway, intermittent starting is nearly always an electrical issue like a faulty sensor or poor contact somewhere. If your battery is good I'd look at all the connectors one by one and put a little electrical grease on the terminals to stop moisture getting in. I had this issue with a gen1 fazer, turned out it was a poor contact on one of the fuses, it had been spark eroded so much that one of the fuse terminals was just a stump. A 20p replacement fuse cured it.
Jim.

hotmetal

• Weekend Warrior
  • Set Fazer to stun
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 October 2014, 06:39:07 pm »
Agree likely to be electrical. There are various connectors that are a bit borderline so it could be worth checking them, cleaning the contacts (even just separating and rejoining the connections under the seat and behind the side panels.) Also while you're at it a squirt of ACF-50 in the ignition key, switch gear etc might help.
« Last Edit: 12 October 2014, 06:39:51 pm by hotmetal »
__
There's no replacement for displacement

red imp

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2014, 04:13:16 pm »
I put a new battery on it today and it started first turn !

hotmetal

• Weekend Warrior
  • Set Fazer to stun
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2014, 04:20:22 pm »
Good stuff. I went away for a week and the battery in my Street Triple and my car both wanted charging. I think they know it's the end of summer. Fazer battery was alright though funnily enough. When not in use I keep it hooked up to a car battery via the Optimate lead (no leccy in garage). Seems to work for me.
__
There's no replacement for displacement

red imp

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2014, 06:51:26 pm »
Know what you mean , I have no leccy in the garage either so I have purchased an optimate charger and will hooked it  up  from time to time for a few hours just to top the battery up.