Date: 17-05-24  Time: 20:36 pm

Author Topic: That bastard water pipe !  (Read 2066 times)

mark g

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TY250 Trails bike
    • View Profile
That bastard water pipe !
« on: 14 February 2016, 11:45:43 am »
Just putting the gen 1 back together after doing the water pump seals, come to put the metal water pipe back on the engine (the short one under the gearbox sprocket) and what a pig to fit. Even tried a new o ring thinking that that was the problem, basically the thing will not go in and sit properly, I've tried putting the seal onto the pipe then trying to sit it home....no good, I've also tried putting the seal in the casing then pushing the pipe in, still no good.
I've ended up using a smaller o ring stretched over the pipe then it sits home ok but my concern is that it will leak, has anybody come across this before ??

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: That bastard water pipe !
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2016, 03:21:19 pm »
Did you try any lubricant? That usually works, I have in the past used washing liquid.

mark g

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TY250 Trails bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2016, 07:08:03 pm »
Yep it was well lubed up prior to trying to get it in, anybody who's had the engine oout would have had to have taken this pipe off at some point I would imagine?, both the Haynes and the genuine yam manual are pretty much useless, it was a pig to get the pipe out when I stripped it TBF, I was even thinking of filing a leading edge on the pipe to see if that easier.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2016, 07:25:19 pm »
Did you use Yamaha seals?

mark g

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TY250 Trails bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2016, 08:19:27 pm »
Yes mate genuine O ring seal from Fowlers, I ended up using a slightly smaller O ring out of my O ring tub. There is only two ways to fit this, firstly by pushing the O ring into the orifice until it sits on the casing shoulder or actually fitting the seal over the metal tube prior to trying to insert the metal pipe home.....both fail until I fitted the slightly smaller O ring. Is there any American forums I could post onto to see if any of them boys have come across this??

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2016, 08:50:52 pm »
Is it only with the smaller O Ring you have the issue, does it fit in with the larger outer O ring only in place.
I never had the issue when I dismantled an R1 which is the same, but there was corrosion on the housings and the pipe which I cleaned out as I had a lot of difficulty removing the pipe. It was difficult refitting it but with a little assistance from WD40 it went in.

The only reasons I can think of is that there is corrosion on the housings and or the pipe where the seals fit, which will need to be cleaned or maybe you got the wrong seals (would not be the first time). double check the part numbers the should be smaller diameter seal 93210-235A1 and larger diameter seal 93210-27370.

I presume you have the sump off to aid the refitting

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37957&highlight=water+pump+replacement&page=6
« Last Edit: 16 February 2016, 09:06:45 pm by unfazed »

mark g

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TY250 Trails bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2016, 08:29:14 pm »
Sorry unfazed it's the outer metal water inlet pipe that feeds the pump, it bolts on the side of the crank case just in front and below the gearbox sprocket, it's got a single large O ring to seal it, the whole affair is only held in by a single Allen head bolt. It should be a piece of piss to fit but I'm having a right game with it, I'll try and post a pic of one I found online

« Last Edit: 17 February 2016, 08:41:06 pm by mark g »

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2016, 10:29:44 pm »
I obviously misread your post, Is it the return feed to the water pump from the bottom of the rad?

If so I never had a problem fitting that one, but the only reasons I can think would be: the pipe is not round, the housing has corrosion or you got the wrong seal (Part number is 93210-23787)

mark g

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TY250 Trails bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2016, 06:02:41 pm »
Yep thats the one buddy, it should be a no brainer but man its giving me grief, the pipe looks OK and is not rusted up, they may have sent the wrong seal but I got it off Fowlers as per there website........I'll check the number you gave to the one they sent.

mark g

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TY250 Trails bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 February 2016, 01:40:42 pm »
sorted now, unfazed was right wrong seal was ordered.........my fault not Fowlers I might add........what a twonk :'(