Date: 17-05-24  Time: 15:50 pm

Author Topic: Water leak on gen 1 but from where ?  (Read 2601 times)

mark g

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TY250 Trails bike
    • View Profile
Water leak on gen 1 but from where ?
« on: 05 December 2015, 05:43:28 pm »
2001 gen 1 been laid up for a good few week now and I decided to start her up today, bike started fine and sounds great but it sprang a small water leak from the underside of the engine. Took the belly pan off to get a better look and it seems to be leaking from the underside of the engine onto the collector box then on the floor, its defiantly not coming from the front of the lump or the rad........any idea's guys. Oh yeah on one other thing I noticed is it only seemed to leak for a short while then stopped as soon as it got warm :\

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Water leak on gen 1 but from where ?
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2015, 06:21:47 pm »
There is a drain hole under the engine for the combined water and oil pump.

Hope its not that  :(  [size=78%]http://yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37957&highlight=water+pump+leak[/size]

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 December 2015, 10:29:12 pm »
If it's stopped leaking and is holding fluid ok without either burning it off / spewing coolant over the floor then it shouldnt be the water pump seal at fault.

I've had that delightful experience & believe me, you don't want to  :(

mark g

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TY250 Trails bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 December 2015, 10:28:41 am »
Yeah it only seems to leak when started from cold, it does stop when its warmed up, its not pissing out just a constant drip, very hard to see where its coming from with the exhaust on. I'll have to have another look today, fuck me I hope it's not the seals in the pump :eek

mark g

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TY250 Trails bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 December 2015, 02:14:08 pm »
Just had another look and it's got to be the water pump seals :eek  FFS, the only saving grace is I was planning to take the engine out to re-paint it anyway. Reading the good old Haynes manual the job can be done with it in the frame but it will be easier to take it out and do it that way.
Does anybody know if Yamaha do a seal and bearing kit for the water pump?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 December 2015, 03:35:46 pm »
Not a kit as such.  You can get the replacement parts you need, though.

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 December 2015, 10:40:59 pm »
Yep, it's a 'tell-tale' hole under the engine, the idea is you know the seal has gone before too much water gets past the seal and contaminates the oil damaging the engine. Happened on my second fazer, I spoke to a friend who is a Yamaha tech and he said not to worry about it to much unless the leak is really bad, I ran my bike for nearly two years before I sorted it although my leak was very slight.
The good news is it's not too big a job to sort, remove exhaust, sump, and you can get access.

Jim.

mark g

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TY250 Trails bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 December 2015, 08:16:49 pm »
Cheers guys. Jim, I guess thats why it's only a drip and when it's cold, as soon as it gets hot it stops. Like I said before I did plan to take the lump out so it would be an ideal time to sort it this winter.
Must admit I love the bike but I hate things going wrong, I've already done the crappy EXUP valve and all it's associated broken bolts, now this and I've not had the bike 12 months yet  :'(  I thought my old T595 was a shit heap, I hope the big Yam isn't trying for it's crown lol. The only saving grace is I've looked online for the bits and there not too expensive (AJ Sutton website)

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 December 2015, 09:44:02 pm »
Um.
I had to replace my water pump around 2010 and from memory to parts came to about £400.  It is true that I went a bit over zealous with replacement OEM gaskets and replacement OEM coolant tubes. Also did the big valve clearance check while she was all apart. Oil dripping on your face while you work ain't much fun either.
Do get the Clymer manual - I found it invaluable for the waterpump swapover, otherwise I'd have just torched her.

mark g

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TY250 Trails bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 December 2015, 07:19:25 pm »
Just ordered all the seals and gaskets req OEM stuff from the Netherlands of all places £60 all in.

mark g

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TY250 Trails bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 February 2016, 09:01:19 pm »
Only just got around to doing the pump seals today, must admit not too bad of a job but quite time consuming, I had to order more gaskets/o rings than I first thought I would have needed, fingers crossed it's worked