Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:08 am

Author Topic: Can’t let go, good or bad?  (Read 2679 times)

Stew53uk

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Can’t let go, good or bad?
« on: 01 June 2020, 01:26:28 pm »
Hi guys I’ve been thinking of getting rid of my low mileage fzs1000. I had a buyer, my asking price put the bike back to how he wanted it & then it just kinda hit me. Stew what the hell are you doing, I spent ages finding this bike & money to get it how I want it then want to sell it. I love this bike but really thinking of getting a triumph street triple, any views?

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
Re: Can’t let go, good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2020, 02:01:58 pm »
triumph street triple is a great bike mate. But i wouldnt swap. its quite buzzy. you'll miss the grunt of the thou, possibly be better with the speed triple if thats the way you want to go. If you take the missus on the back  your going to struggle to find one she'll like after the fazer too

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2020, 04:07:16 pm »
I've been thinking along the same lines, Stew, but the Fazer's so good I really don't want to get rid of it!

I couldn't justify 2 bikes long term, but I might try for a year, see which I use more and get rid of the other.

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2020, 10:54:16 pm »
I’ve got the new bike itch as well Stu. Actually went to Triumph dealer today and sat on a Street RS and a Speed Twin. I also have desires for maybe an XSR900 or Tracer 900GT. I hasten to add that I won’t be getting rid of my Gen1, particularly as I’ve just spent a lot of money having it refurbed. I am however considering swapping out my other bike, for a change as much as anything, before I get too old.

Let’s assume that your low mileage Gen1 is worth £3 - £3.5k Privately for arguments sake. When I look at the new stuff that’s available, I don’t believe that any of the above is going to be worth the up to ££7k extra that you’d have to throw at a deal, assuming you might buy new of course.
Pillion and luggage on a Street RS? I don’t think so. A Tracer GT definately, possibly the XSR. But if your Gen1 has had the “full Monty” you’d be giving away at least 15bhp to a Street RS, 20bhp to an XSR / Tracer and more like 35bhp to a Speed Twin. There’s not much, Tracer GT aside, that is as versatile As the Gen1, with its all around capabilities.
I’ve chosen to take the following approach...........if I bought something new on a pcp, say a Street RS on Triumphs current pcp deal. The below can be had from Jack Lilly’s........
Street Triple RS £9000 inc Arrow silencer 2019 model
£1900 deposit £105 pm x 36mths + Final optional payment £4718
Total cost for 3yrs = £5680 / 3yrs = £1893.33pa @ 7.9apr (Assuming you give it back at the end of the term).
The one year cost is equivalent to almost 2/3rds of the value of your Gen1.
So for me, if I were to buy another bike in your situation and IF I could afford to, I’d keep the Gen1 as well. It’s unlikely to go down in value now if you look after it.
In a years time, you may have tired of the Single purpose Street RS and you may struggle to find another Gen1 in the same condition that’s been modded to your taste.
I do speak with a little experience...........my current Gen1 is my third, having sold two previously and lived to regret it. I’ve owned this one for eight years now.
Alternatively, keep the Gen1, don’t bother getting another bike and instead, spend the £1900pa a new bike would cost you, doing some more personalisation / upgrades to your Gen1, to make it even better. That’s a new Ohlins shock, fork upgrade, aftermarket can, set of tyres, insurance etc etc............
Good luck with your quest. I share your pain. When you’ve got an itch, sometimes it just needs scratching. 👍

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2020, 10:32:21 am »
I like that reasoning.........the last new bike I bought was my RSV Mille in 2003. That bike today still looks great, goes great and has no trouble keeping up with brand new machinery on track days.

The Fazer 1000 with its uprated suspension does everything I'd want from a bike on the street and with its colour matched fairing lowers still doesn't look "old".

My FJ 1200 languished at the back of the garage for a few years while I rode the more modern bikes, but treating that to USD forks, upgraded brakes, 17" wheels at both ends, modern tyres, uprated rear shock and some TLC means I now have a "classic" bike capable of keeping up with anything on the road that's ridden with a modicum of safety and yet still have the comfort of an armchair when I need it.

Spending money on bikes I already own and love is a much better/cheaper proposition to me these days than just buying something new - besides which, most modern styling is far too "bitty" and "tacky" for my old eyes.
« Last Edit: 04 June 2020, 10:33:24 am by Millietant »

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2020, 11:17:36 am »
 :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2020, 06:33:11 pm »
Update, modded FJ1200 ... ooh, that's got to be nice. :)

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 June 2020, 11:02:33 pm »
Update, modded FJ1200 ... ooh, that's got to be nice. :)

Hope it's not too subtle Mike, I wanted to keep it understated, so that the casual observer would think it's original.

« Last Edit: 04 June 2020, 11:03:48 pm by Millietant »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 June 2020, 07:54:33 am »
Love it ... thanks for posting the photo.  Like you said, arm chair comfort, lovely low centre of gravity and a brilliant motor.  Mine was standard but I still miss it. 

I guess you're an FJ Owner's Club member? :)

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 June 2020, 11:11:31 am »
Yes, since way back in the mid 90's....  :)

Love the Fazers almost as much, not planning on selling either of those two either........... ever.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 June 2020, 04:34:24 pm »
Doc still recommending 2000 mile oil changes on the FJ, using an old-style mineral oil, the maker of which escapes me now?

He was very helpful to me with Fazer suspension advice back when I lived in Bristol. Top bloke! :)

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 June 2020, 04:55:37 pm »
Yamaha have certainly made some well loved models. Apart from the Fazers and the FJ1100/1200, I'm thinking of the TDMs. Some very keen owners out there.

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 June 2020, 08:58:59 pm »
Doc still recommending 2000 mile oil changes on the FJ, using an old-style mineral oil, the maker of which escapes me now?

He was very helpful to me with Fazer suspension advice back when I lived in Bristol. Top bloke! :)

Not particularly recommending that frequently, but still using Morris Ringfree 20-50. My bikes ran perfectly for 80,000 miles so I'm not going to change now  :) .

Top bloke indeed  Doc guided me around the Nordscleife more than a few times until I knew the track well enough to go at a decent pace myself - very helpful on riding technique and set-up. Liz followed him round for a few laps on the Fazer 1000 and absolutely loved it. She even got to do a few laps of the Nurburgring F1 circuit too (she had the back wheel in the air panic-braking for the hairpin after the pit straight :lol ). Going round there with our eldest on the pillion was the point I decided I'd had enough of the standard Fazer 1000 rear shock !!.

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 June 2020, 09:02:38 pm »
Yamaha have certainly made some well loved models. Apart from the Fazers and the FJ1100/1200, I'm thinking of the TDMs. Some very keen owners out there.

Definitely with you on that. Can't think of anything that I'd want to replace either Fazer with - but I'd also love a FZ 750 with decent wheels/tyres and I'd also love an original 750 Fazer and a XJ 600  :)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 June 2020, 09:14:17 pm »
Morris Ringfree ... that's the stuff.  High detergent content, great for keeping the rings ... err, free. :D

Pretty good around that other Ring as well. ;)

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08 June 2020, 07:09:19 pm »
I’ve just swapped my mt09 for a street triple r. Much better quality suspension even after throwing fork springs and a shock at the mt, it was horrible. Probably down a bit on power to the FZ1 but it’s plenty quick enough

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 June 2020, 09:44:47 pm »
Thats interesting to know Mustang. Ive thought about an MT09SP recently. But every write up I read, they talk about lack of front end feel, even on the Ohlins equipped SP. Good to hear similar from an actual owner. Struck it off my list because of that.

[/size][size=78%]Ironically the XSR900, with non adjustable front end, seems to get much better reviews? [/size]

Test rode the Speed Twin today. Moving away (though Im very tempted) from a Street RS, purely on the basis that they also are reputed to be great handling, but a rather firm ride. MY MT10 gave me a prolapsed disc in 2018 because of how firm it was, hence my desire for something a little more comfortable and compliant.

Enjoy your Triple.

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 June 2020, 03:56:04 pm »
I must've really be getting old......I lie the Speed Twin too  :lol

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 June 2020, 02:06:58 pm »
also the xjrs... ;)
yup. after nearly fifty years of biking im a definate yamaha man now. Along with the hardly dangerous, obvs....

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 June 2020, 02:10:37 pm »
plus one for the speed twin btw. I know the street/speed triples are fantastic bikes, but the speed twin edges it for me with all things considered. and it looks like a proper bike... :lol
I've got my Fazer thou back. Had some brilliant rides on the xjr while it was gone, but nothing tops the thou for me.