Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:29 pm

Author Topic: 2004 FZ6 front sprocket Fix  (Read 9024 times)

StrippedSprocketNut

• Cager in Training
  • Damm
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - none
    • View Profile
2004 FZ6 front sprocket Fix
« on: 02 January 2016, 03:12:16 am »
Hello all im new to this forum thank you / well first off i own a 2004 fz6 and of course the guy i got it from didn't tell me that the front  sprocket nut wasn't there lol. well come to find out the threads were stripped out after a lot of research here is what i did i got a set of metric re threading dies i chose a m18 1.5 pitch now i found out that Yamaha makes a new nut for the 2004 fz6 one that has a deeper counter sink cut in it to clear the drive shaft better than the stock one only problem is its bigger than a m18 1.5 that a used to retread the driver shaft / well this is what i had to do i took the new improved nut to a real machine shop and had them make me a custom nut exactly like the new improved Yamaha nut m18 1.5 size it cost me 80$! but now its fixed end of story sucks but had to do that or pay $1500 for replacement shaft or just buy a used motor on fleabay for 500 to 800$ still cheaper than repairing it with a new driveshaft how dumb/ well anyways hope this helps someone out there

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: 2004 FZ6 front sprocket Fix
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2016, 04:16:41 pm »
Had the same problem on my FZ6 but as a temporary repair I just got the new nut to nip the sprocket then had the nut welded to the shaft, thinking that winter I would replace the shaft, that was 4 or 5 years ago and 20,000 miles plus done.
 I put a new chain and sprockets on, soon I will have to replace the front sprocket as it's starting to wear, the chain and rear are fine, I know I should change the lot but the front does 4 times the work of the rear, my thinking is that it should see the bike out and maybe me as well?
 I'm hoping to get a new bike soon the the milage might drop to a couple of thousand a year on the fz6 as I also have a MT that I do around that milage a year.