Date: 01-05-24  Time: 02:13 am

Author Topic: FZ6 Headset Bearings  (Read 1084 times)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
FZ6 Headset Bearings
« on: 15 February 2017, 11:37:28 pm »
Pretty much ever since my FZ6 has needed an MOT, I've had Advisories on the Headset Bearings (either loose or notchy).

The next MOT is coming up soon and I'm thinking it might be good to get them seen to (and replaced if needed) but I've heard that it can take around 4 hours and cost a couple of hundred quid or so for labour and given that I'm porbably going to need a new rear tyre as well, that's going to be very expensive :(

So can anyone confirm if that is how much it's likely to cost and if there's anything else I can do to get them sorted (or, at least, stop it failing the MOT)?

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: FZ6 Headset Bearings
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2017, 11:56:07 pm »
Why not try regreasing them first and retorque them correctly. Might be all it needs

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2017, 10:49:56 am »
It's a pig of a job to do yourself, as the old ones can be tough to remove, but i can't see why it would take a proper mechanic 4 hours to do?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2017, 12:19:31 pm »
I was told that if you've gone to the effort to get access to grease them, you may as well complete the job and replace them while you're there.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2017, 12:29:16 pm »
It's a pig of a job to do yourself, as the old ones can be tough to remove, but i can't see why it would take a proper mechanic 4 hours to do?

I think that's for complete removal and replacement, something which, having looked at what is required, I would not feel confident in trying myself.

I might be able to do the adjustment, however I've just noticed that the Haynes Manual says the bearings should be re-greased every 12,000 miles. Now I'm sure that that's way more frequently that actually needed, but given it's done about 60,000...!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2017, 12:40:33 pm »

I think that's for complete removal and replacement, something which, having looked at what is required, I would not feel confident in trying myself.

I might be able to do the adjustment, however I've just noticed that the Haynes Manual says the bearings should be re-greased every 12,000 miles. Now I'm sure that that's way more frequently that actually needed, but given it's done about 60,000...!

That's what i was on about, replacing them.
2 or maybe 3hrs max for a mechanic that's done it before and has all the right tools at their disposal.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.