Date: 04-05-24  Time: 23:29 pm

Author Topic: Ohlins or Nitron?  (Read 3583 times)

HalfEmpty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fazer8
    • View Profile
Ohlins or Nitron?
« on: 20 June 2012, 10:26:28 pm »
Help!
I would like to change the rear shock on my Fazer 8. Currently I am looking at 2 possibilities - an Ohlins unit (without external resevoir) and a Nitron with similar adjustment capabilities as the Ohlin. I have never changed the shock on any bike I have owned (over 34 years of biking - How old?  :eek ) so would appreciate any comments on either of these manufacturers.
Thank in advance for you comments. Cheers.

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
Re: Ohlins or Nitron?
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2012, 11:37:05 am »
Ohlins,,that is all lol
Its just a ride

thesagaciousman

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Gas Gas EC300
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2012, 06:10:21 pm »
I am looking into doing the same thing. The basic nitron has a ride height adjuster and the damping screw affects both rebound and compression simultaneously. I haven't considered ohlins as its outside my budget.

Hagons are always popular and seem to do as much as most people need, but not very bling and no ride height adjustment.

Bitubo have some nice looking items and have the added benefit of being unusual. The damping adjustment on the basic model is only for rebound though. This may not be so bad as according to a recent article in TBM the rebound is the most important adjustment, but I suspect that is a matter of opinion.

We're you looking at top of the range stuff or more budget/basic shocks?
Yamaha FZS600 Fazer, 2002 (FR)
Gas Gas EC300, 2007 (FR)
Aprilia SL1000 Falco, 2000 (UK)

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2012, 06:22:56 pm »
Go for the Nitron. when you order it they will build it for your weight; the Ohlins will come out of the box with the standard spring - if it's not the correct rate for you it will want changing which will cost you more.

HalfEmpty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2012, 06:30:20 pm »
Hi 'thesagaciousman'
I am only looking at bottom range stuff really. It just seems abit bouncy to me - especially 2up.The basic Ohlins is about £500 (but has £75 pound refund if you sent the original shock back!). The Nitron  I have been offered is about £400.

Don't want to sound too stupid, but by height adjustment, is that what I call pre-load. A sort of stepped collar that effectively shortens the spring? Or is it an adjustment that lengthens/shortens the length of the whole shock?  - Don't laugh, I wont hurt you. Honest. :rollin

HalfEmpty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2012, 06:39:12 pm »
Cheers mcyoungy
Very useful info - much appreciated  :)