Date: 30-04-24  Time: 22:28 pm

Author Topic: JUST BEEN IVANISED!  (Read 8117 times)

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
JUST BEEN IVANISED!
« on: 24 August 2012, 07:28:58 pm »
Just collected my bike after having the "Ivan's Slip-On Mod" done.  I rode it home with the original exhaust on and then I fitted the new BlueFlame TwinPort silencer.  With standard exhaust, the main difference seemed to be top-end rush, and with the BlueFlame on, I'm concerned that my judgement is being influenced by that gorgeous sound!

So I'm gonna wait a few days before coming out with my opinion of it. I've also had the Z8 tyres and a new chain and sprockets fitted. Oh, and one of those R&G ShockTubes to keep the rear shock in good nick.

QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: JUST BEEN IVANISED!
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2012, 07:35:36 pm »
looks superb madDog  how much you paid for shock sock??

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2012, 07:58:10 pm »
Errr, I think it was £24. Check on eBay.

lingy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2012, 08:03:31 pm »
Mad dog

Just had mine done and have only just tried it with std exhaust. Like yourself found what felt like a stronger top end rush, just got to get the end can fitted and see what its like on a good run out.
I have another thread running, ref this as I fitted the kit myself  but did notice a very slight surging at low revs whilst idling along through 30mph speed limits , have you experianced this.

Love the sock!

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2012, 08:24:48 pm »
Nice. :)

That can takes me back a full decade.  It was the first can I fitted to the Fazer post-Ivanising.  Followed it with another Blueflame (Tri-oval titanium), then a Mivv Carbon GP before getting the full Akra system.

That oval twin-port Blueflame sounded and ran great.

Enjoy! :D

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: 24 August 2012, 08:40:26 pm »
No Lingy - no probs with surging. I thought I detected a flat-spot once around 4k but I couldn't duplicate it, so it just might have been my imagination. It's funny how you read into things when you've just altered something on your bike. I'm trying to remain caml and objective. According to some, the difference is immediately noticeable and claim "Night & Day" difference, but that's not the case with mine. I wonder if pre-2003 owners notice the low-end difference more?

Anyway, it sounds fabbo and goes superbly, so I'll leave it at that for the mo. The mechanic at BMW (another plug Rusty  :lol ), gave me back the old needles, jets and spring-ends. He also gave me throttle-play which wasn't there previously. I know it's the right amount according to the manual, but it's a change that is getting in the way of me evaluating things. Like I said, a few more days and I'll be better placed to comment.

One thing's for sure - the Exup Valve is rattling! I'm not sure why, but I'm gonna have a word because it wasn't like this before.

Oh and Mike - yes the BF is a cracker. Had two before.

Tom.

lingy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 August 2012, 08:46:09 pm »
Thers an odd thing, when I started mine the first thing I noticed when letting it warm up was a rattle from around the exup valve area, not there all the time just when it feels like it.

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: 24 August 2012, 09:19:58 pm »
I was just wondering if it's because there's a significant amount of backpressure gone now that I've fitted the BlueFlame (I've got one baffle out). I might stick the baffle back in and see if it alters the rattle.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 August 2012, 09:48:20 pm »
According to some, the difference is immediately noticeable and claim "Night & Day" difference, but that's not the case with mine. I wonder if pre-2003 owners notice the low-end difference more?

That was the case with my 2001. The top end rush was improved as you've found, but it was the snap throttle response at any revs that was the revelation and the real 'night and day' difference. That comes from clipping the carb springs, I believe, so maybe yours hasn't had this done, or maybe they weren't clipped to the right length ie short enough. Certainly, snapping the throttle open at 2500 revs is enough to lift the front and that never happened prior to Ivanising, and it's much more responsive to the throttle than it was too.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 August 2012, 10:17:06 pm »
2004 full monty on mine with a blue flame oval twin port. i find it runs best with top port baffel in and bottom port open.
had 2 blue flames on it now, well 3 if you include the one i cut down for a stubby to :P now that DID sound good lol but didnt last long.
i cant say i noticed a night and day change with top end but thats because i went from a dyno jet kit to ivans. what i did notice was a much smoother and cleaner mid range and low end. (the dyno kit really fucked up the low end)
its now perfectly smooth from 3k - red line

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 August 2012, 10:22:26 pm »

One thing's for sure - the Exup Valve is rattling! I'm not sure why, but I'm gonna have a word because it wasn't like this before.
Ditto. Mine rattles like a bugger since he serviced it. I told myself it's probably operating a bit more freely now it's all been stripped and greased as it never was that noisy before. How many miles are on your new tyres now? Be cautious when evaluating your power increase.  :lol

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: 24 August 2012, 11:01:31 pm »
Don't worry Pete - I'm very mindful of the fact that I've got new rubber and 150BHP  :lol

Yours rattles too, huh? I might remove it and see what's going on. I wonder if there's too much play in the Exup cables, allowing the valve to flutter?

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: 24 August 2012, 11:22:17 pm »
....That comes from clipping the carb springs, I believe, so maybe yours hasn't had this done, or maybe they weren't clipped to the right length ie short enough...

Hi AyJay,
The springs were clipped to the correct (updated) length - 4 coils off. As I said in the original post, the mechanic game me back the spring-ends which he'd removed. The throttle is indeed "snappy" when you blip the throttle.

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 August 2012, 11:22:53 pm »
Dunno, but he balanced my carbs and stripped the exup so I would have thought he'd have checked the cable play too? I also now have some very annoying vibes through the left footrest at around 80mph that weren't there before, don't know what's causing those? The two covers for the swing arm bolts almost vibed out the other day!

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: 24 August 2012, 11:30:34 pm »
Hmmm, that's not good. I'm off to the caravan tomorrow and then on a charity rideout on Monday (pissing down), so I won't be able to do anything until Monday night. I'll let you know how I get on. Pop over if you want.

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 August 2012, 11:38:35 pm »
I thought the chain might be misadjusted thus causing the vibes but I checked it and it looks ok. I've no idea what it is? I just happened to look at one of those chrome covers for the swinger bolts after a 120 mile ride and it was sticking out, popped it back in and looked at the other one and that was coming out too!  Lost a rear numberplate bolt as well.  :rolleyes

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 August 2012, 12:30:37 am »

Hi AyJay,
The springs were clipped to the correct (updated) length - 4 coils off. As I said in the original post, the mechanic game me back the spring-ends which he'd removed. The throttle is indeed "snappy" when you blip the throttle.

Well, there you go. One idea shot down!

I'm still curious though. When I did mine (did it myself), it really was like getting a new engine, and that's with a slip on kit and standard exhaust. It revs out much harder and although I don't think peak is more than 5-7bhp more, it goes harder and longer from 7000 up. But from 2000 to 7000, it's more linear in response and snappier. It feels like it's alive compared to a standard bike. Ivan talks about 'waking bikes up' and that's exactly what I feel with his kit installed.

I take it you aren't getting that . . .

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 August 2012, 06:36:26 am »
Rusty
The full monty does alter the character of the engine from a genial power delivery to something like the original R1( that was even more aggressive ! ). When the first R1 came out , blade owners were chopping theirs in to get one...it was groundbreaking at the time...amazing how Yam " tamed" that out  for the FZS...
Couple of points -
I too noticed a vibration patch just at one point  , didnt feel it before installation, mine was around 60 ish mph. But nearly 4 yrs on, I have settled into it and dont concern myself about it. .The awesome increase in midrange the full monty gives is more than compo for that.At 4k rpm in top it really does accelerate like the stock bike in 3rd !

Maybe check carbs are synched OK..I have found they go off and need checking at least once a year.

In spite of the vibe patch , nothing has ever come undone on the bike in 4 yrs...

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
JUST BEEN IVANISED!
« Reply #18 on: 26 August 2012, 09:30:55 am »
Only ducati's vibe to a point bits start failing off !!!!

My gen1 has some vibes in the pegs at certain rpm and I've checked and done everything ie balanced carbs to perfect, torqued engine mounts, one thing i noticed the vibes seem to be transmitted thro the exhaust if I remove the rear exhaust strap totally, there is hardly any vibes, however I live with it as it's only noticeable when doing long touring miles at a consistent speed.

The Full monty, after balancing my carbs even being slightly out made a massive difference it now pulls very hard and super smooth from low down and than there is a turbine rush its like everything behind me as stopped it gives me the giggles it's bloody that quick and the howl of the miv gp as I ping up the box with the quick shifter it's addictive.
« Last Edit: 26 August 2012, 09:31:56 am by cable tie »

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 August 2012, 11:37:03 am »
Only ducati's vibe to a point bits start failing off !!!!
I'm looking to get a Ducati next as it happens, maybe the Fazer is preparing me for ownership.  :lol

The vibes I have come through the left footrest yet there's none in the right one. This happened after I just had the carbs balanced and exup greased. Mine isn't Ivanised yet. This is the second issue I've had with vibes on this bike, I had them in the handlebars last time and the culprit was traced to an oscilating fender extender. Just had two new tyres fitted and the wheels balanced so there are so many factors that might have caused the new vibes.

The temptation would be to blame the chain but it looks ok, and it's aligned and tensioned correctly. If it was a Ducati I'd call it 'character', but as it's a fazer I want the vibes gone!   :lol [size=78%] [/size]

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #20 on: 26 August 2012, 12:20:34 pm »
I managed to have a good rideout yesterday afternoon. First thing to say, is the Exup rattle has completely disappeared.  :rolleyes  Go figure it!

As for the Ivanising, I am happy to report that everything is tickety-boo. IMHO the transformation isn't night and day, but it is significant. Much more responsive all-round and definitely bonkers top end. In all situations, she just picks up her skirt much more readily and really gets a lick on. Nice and tractable around town. Starting is marginally better.

This kit (with 3rd party installation) cost me £250. Was it worth it? Well, during a recession and at a time when I also had to buy new tyres, chain and sprocket, I felt like I was being frivolous, but in all other circumstances I would consider it good value. It's basically the same cost as a pair of good tyres. On other bikes, I've had Power Commanders fitted and paid for multiple Dyno runs to tune it, so in that respect, it's a good buy.

If you do the installation work yourself, then it's a no-brainer! Top Value!!

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Tom

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 August 2012, 12:47:04 pm »
That's good news then. I'll order my Ivan's kit as soon as I get back from soaking up the Spanish sun.  :)
I don't think Ivanised bikes fetch any more than standard when it comes to selling them on, but that could be said for most aftermarket add ons. As I see it the enhanced riding experience reported while owning the bike makes the mod worthwhile, so looking at it that way it isn't at all frivolous.

I wonder if your mpg figures will change at all?  Given that the mods (and accompanying blue flame soundtrack) might encourage more spirited riding they could fall I suppose, but that won't be down to the kit but due to different usage.

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2015 R1 and 2015 speed triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 August 2012, 02:33:02 pm »
The standard bike for me, was a faff to start not knowing if choke was needed, there also was a surge from 2k revs as you opened the throttle . This was really annoying especially 2up. The engine felt throttled and restricted.
When Mike fitted my full monty and I went for a test ride it felt totally transformed .
It's been the best mod since derestricting my old 2 strokes all those years ago.
Apart from easier starting, I have less vibes, no surging and instant power from tickover right to the redline. The midrange any gear any revs is where it becomes addictive. The top end rush is not unfamilar apart from airbox roar of my gixxer thou.
Fitting a full system has added to the urgency of that liberated engine find using 3rd more than 2nd, and use the flexibity like a elastic band.
On my bike I have removed the vibe deadening weights behind footrests and rubber pegs . Even my renthal bars use small bar ends. Can't report bad vibes.
The only thing I can say that may be causing vibes is poor carb balance, Mike did mine after doing the installation of the jetkit.
That must of been over 4 yrs ago now .
And in still one happy owner, well worth it.  :)
Jacko

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2015 R1 and 2015 speed triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 August 2012, 02:37:30 pm »
Maddog your bike looks great, a credit to you, hope you enjoy it now jet kit fitted :)

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #24 on: 26 August 2012, 06:34:26 pm »
Maddog your bike looks great, a credit to you, hope you enjoy it now jet kit fitted :)

Thanks mate, but it's not the mintest bike I've had, by far! But it only owes me £2700 (plus recent mods), so unlike many other bikes I've owned, I'm not fussing over it all the time. If I get a scratch on it through a lazy leg-over, so what. Downpipes looking grubby? So what?  I like this new attitude - I'm actually liking a bike for what it does instead of for how it looks  :D

Having said that, if I had the money, I'd buy something like CaleTie's beauty.