Date: 08-05-24  Time: 19:10 pm

Author Topic: DUMBASS ME!!  (Read 1045 times)

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
DUMBASS ME!!
« on: 06 August 2012, 12:14:36 pm »
When fitting my SatNav mount, I got my voltmeter and removed the seat to find a convenient ignition-switched source. I should have just gone straight into the lighting circuit, but being lazy, I noticed that there was a connector quite close to the battery, so I tested the voltage reading from it and sure enough, 0v with no ignition and 12v with ignition on. Perfect!! So I made a joint into the wire and fitted my SatNav.

A few days later, I decided to have a full day out on the bike and connected the SatNav to its mount. With the ignition on, the charging symbol lit up and off I went on my journey. Somewhere in the Lake District, I moved into an area I'd never visited before and kinda got lost. So I pulled over to plot a destination on the SatNav only to find out that the low-battery symbol was flashing!! I couldn't understand it because when I'd set off, it was charging.

Anyway, I set off riding again and noticed that occasionally (and very briefly) the charging symbol would reappear. It was infuriating. I pulled over to the kerb and yes, it was definately on. As I pulled away, it went off. Pull over to the kerb - it started charging again. WTF???

I then realised what was happening - the charging symbol was coming on when I was stationary with the clutch pulled in. As soon as I moved off and released the clutch, the charging ceased. I had obviously tapped into the circuit which detects if the clutch is pulled in  :D :lol :D

What a dumbass  :rolleyes .  Sorted now.

QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: DUMBASS ME!!
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2012, 12:43:35 pm »
thanks for sharing that one with us  :rollin :rollin .......easily done,nice to know iam not the only one to make that kind of mistake....still we live and leard and alls good now  :D
One, is never going to be enough.....