Date: 30-04-24  Time: 22:21 pm

Author Topic: Best Chain and Sprockets for the Gen 1?  (Read 11213 times)

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Best Chain and Sprockets for the Gen 1?
« on: 01 August 2012, 06:38:00 pm »
Bike has done nearly 17K, and after sooth sayer Mike mentioned C&S would be near end of life at 20k, plus check front sprocket in another thread, I thought I would check my front sprocket.

Sprocket is just starting to hook, rear and chain seem fine, so time for a new set.

Any recommendations for top quality kit and hopefully an endless chain, not keen on soft links, though I believe the original Yamaha front sprocket is the best? Will pull the swing arm to grease the bearings while I am at it, plus a few other jobs.

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GL1800 &amp Commando850
    • View Profile
Re: Best Chain and Sprockets for the Gen 1?
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2012, 07:51:15 pm »
Go for o/e - you already know the o/e front is known to be best - o/e chain is endless, I've got a new kit meself for future use.  Not bothered about messing with non-standard gearing for road, I'll be doing the same as you when it's needed, ie. swingarm off and greasing up etc.  So your asking the question, but methinks you really know the answer already?  ;)  I paid £149 posted for full genuine kit, shoulda been £179 but some dealers prepared to haggle, 'specially on Ebay.  Don't forget to fit a new tab washer too, not worth the chance. :)
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT 'TILL IT IS.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2012, 09:21:03 pm »
Hi Septik,

Where did you get your kit from, I don't live that far from you?

I know the original sprocket has a rubber insert to keep the noise down but 17K gentle use ;)  isn't a lot of mileage. And it is just the front sprocket showing signs of wear, might get a few more thousand out of it but thought I would just change it while I have the time.

Also I was hoping there may be some form of upgrade with longer life etc (not the 69.99 kits on ebay  :rollin )

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2012, 10:02:14 pm »
Got mine from Ebay, retailer was asking RRP of £ 179+post, but I made him an offer and he accepted.
I have seen a couple more fairly recently and they were starting at £149 but there are non showing at moment.
Here's a link to the retailer on Ebay, may be worth giving him a shout, appears to still be selling Genuine Yamaha stuff.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-YAMAHA-CHAIN-AND-SPROCKETS-FZS600-FAZER-02-03-/300733736819?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item460520a773
Mine's only done 8.5 k and still plenty of life left yet.  Had too much hassle with 'cheaper' chains and soft links.  Endless is deffo the way to go on our beloved Fazers methinks. When you consider the cost of tyres every 5k miles or so, cost (with negotiated discount :) ) of a genuine C&S kit ain't too bad for nearly 20k miles. No messin!!!

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2012, 10:26:10 pm »
And how d'ya do neighbour, didn't realise you wuz quite so close. :) Shame there's nowehere local innit, must admit, get most of stuff through WWW.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2012, 10:05:18 am »
Just checked on line at A J Sutton  :eek

[/size]Front sprocket [/size] [/size]£51.06[/font]
[/size]Lock Washer [/size][size=78%]     [/size]£4.21[/font][/color]
[/size]Rear Sprocket[/size][size=78%]  [/size]£80.76[/font][/color]
[/size]Chain                 [/size]£432.86[/color]
[/size]
[/size]Total                   [/size]£568.89     [/color] :eek :eek :eek
   [/size] [/color]

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2012, 11:33:58 am »
Shit the bed! 

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2012, 09:21:07 pm »
Just checked on line at A J Sutton  :eek

Front sprocket £51.06
Lock Washer [size=78%]     [/size]£4.21
Rear Sprocket[size=78%]  [/size]£80.76
Chain                 £432.86

Total                   £568.89      :eek :eek :eek

That's got to be a joke, right??? :D

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 August 2012, 10:45:13 pm »
OE chain is ZVM DID.  You'll get a ZVM chain with soft rivet for about 120-150 quid.  Cannae mind how much Renthal sprockets are but they ain't too expensive.

It's easy enougth to fit, just take your time pressing the plate on, do it bit by bit checking it by holding a six inch steel rule across it and the other links.  Then rivet it once the plates line up perfectly.  The usual mistake, I think, is pressing the plate on too far and creating an instant tight spot. 

You might want to purchase the OE sprocket as they are much quieter than the aftermarket ones such as Renthal. 

Yes Yamaha prices are a sick joke.

Try this fella,

Dennis Trollope Racing Spares
dennis@dennistrollope.wanadoo.co.uk
Phone 0117 957 0821     and     0117 967 5737

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 August 2012, 06:24:35 am »
I got the whole lot as a kit from WeMoto for less than £200, got a local machanic to rivet the chain, as I had the swingarm off. Cant say its any louder than the OE sprocket though

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 August 2012, 07:39:17 am »
I chuckle at this loud sprocket nonsense..I fitted a new C & S a couple of months back, DID gold with  soft link , renthal sprockets...all in £120 off flea bay. Its a superb bit of kit. I am very pleased with it.And quiet...but just how you hear a sprocket over wind noise, tyre noise( cos they R loud - right ! ) let alone engine noise and zorst noise...and with ear plugs in ... :rolleyes

but I suppose if you can get an OE front sprocket at reasonable price , go for it. My OE sprocket lasted 33k miles BTW ! so mile for mile its probably same price if not less.

dekker555

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 August 2012, 07:41:29 pm »
And if you use a chain oiler, the whole lot lasts a lot longer AND needs less adjustment! (So make sure you do use a new lock washer)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 August 2012, 11:05:13 am »
I've got DID ZVM with soft rivet and Rental sprockets front and rear.

Yes I do hear the noise from the front sprocket, it's amazing, you hear it bouncing back at you off walls and cars, you can hear it at speed too.  After checking everything a couple of times, you accept it and eventually get used to it.  But now I know what that great big damper on the OE sprocket is all about.

Next time I change it I'll probably fork out for the OE front sprocket and run a Renthal on the rear.

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 August 2012, 11:08:18 am »
got mine of a breaker who was breaking a 5ooo mile 05 fazer 1000 £30 quid posted
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 August 2012, 06:40:14 pm »
Go for o/e - you already know the o/e front is known to be best - o/e chain is endless, I've got a new kit meself for future use.  Not bothered about messing with non-standard gearing for road, I'll be doing the same as you when it's needed, ie. swingarm off and greasing up etc.  So your asking the question, but methinks you really know the answer already?  ;)  I paid £149 posted for full genuine kit, shoulda been £179 but some dealers prepared to haggle, 'specially on Ebay.  Don't forget to fit a new tab washer too, not worth the chance. :)

£149 thats a great deal....just paid £115 for did from fwr london...and an extra £70 for workshop quality riviter/spiltter....taking the swinging arm out is easy and you can clean and re-greese the shock link at the same time  :D
One, is never going to be enough.....

phild

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 August 2012, 07:05:15 pm »
33,000 miles and still in very good condition..........original Yamaha chain and sprockets. Cleaned and re-lubed  ( WD40 and Castrol Chainwax ) every 600 miles.  :D

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: 24 August 2012, 09:23:28 pm »
BMW just changed mine and it cost around £150. They have another DID & Talon gold set in stock too...

QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 August 2012, 12:54:17 pm »
On a slightly different subject, but related by the OE or aftermarket question; I recently 'broke down' during a ride last Saturday, I thought the clutch must have failed and I was so certain because the clutch cable was nearly new - an aftermarket job from Wemoto costing a little under 20 quid. Turns out it was the cable that failed, the new one, an OE item from Fowlers and costing 50 quid(!) is instantly measurably better - just looking at it shows a step up in quality. It appears to perform better too (though I've not had a great deal of time using it). I guess you get what you pay for? Worryingly my chain and sprockets are also aftermarket from Wemoto...
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 August 2012, 06:54:21 pm »
There's a lot of power being transmitted through the chain and sprockets.

A chain failure could cause you to crash and/or will quite possibly write off your engine.  If the chain breaks, it's generally on an open throttle.  The front sprocket will rapidly accelerate pulling through the broken chain, and the last link may well carry on straight ahead after leaving the sprocket and smash a hole through the engine casing - or something like that.

It's not worth down grading the chain or sprockets, it's a false economy.

The OE chain is DID ZVM.  I'd only fit ZVM or equivalent spec.  Talon, Renthal are fine for sprockets, but I wouldn't fit anything that isn't guaranteed to be at least as good as OE.

That's my view anyway.