Date: 16-05-24  Time: 10:48 am

Author Topic: To do / Done  (Read 2549 times)

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
To do / Done
« on: 20 October 2014, 08:19:45 pm »
----
Done:
----
  • New bars
  • New mirrors (3 pairs)
  • Bar risers
  • New headlight/s (2 sets)
  • Headlight mounts
  • New indicators (2 sets)
  • Replaced front brake master cylendar innards
  • Front brake braided lines
  • New pattern front mudguard
  • New pattern radiator
  • Bar ends (2 pairs)
  • New chain/sprockets
  • Replacement lower front engine bolts
  • New paint
  • Replacement rear foot pegs
  • Replacement rear right peg mount/end can support
  • Many replacement bolts
  • New battery
  • New grips
  • Gaiters
  • Custom front indicator holders
  • Rear LED strips and flasher unit
  • Front LED strips and flasher unit
  • L/R Engine case repaint
  • L/R engine paint
  • All footrests painted black
  • Topyoke painted black
  • Carbs painted black
  • Custom speedo mount
  • Front brake disc carriers straightened
----
Still to come:
----
  • Alter speedo mount
  • Replace speedo? (Koso DB01+ / Dials?)
  • K&N air filter? Or just new air filter? (not much price diff)
  • Customise seat for more comfort
  • Engine bolt kit for maximum shiny get
  • Continue replacing bolts with new
  • Restore/paint rad fan and mount
  • Replace 1x rad guard
  • Get rad grill (black)
  • Re-paint headlight and mounts
  • Replace gear pedal rubber / maybe some ally versions all round + matching grips?
  • Cover pillion grab rail in shrink rubber tube
  • Braided rear brake line
  • Custom brake/clutch levers
  • Mirror mount extenders (30mm+ horizontal)
  • Tidy front wiring
  • Better covering for end can
Just after i reassembled it with nice fresh paint courtesy of Ogri48

A front shot of the speedo mount. Nees a lot of tidying, maybe moving and re-shaping a bit. Would rather get a Koso DB01+, though.

Want more pictures? Pictures of the bike before work?

Here's an album of progress so far (Dropbox link, so will constantly be updated, most are high-res).
Here's how it was when i got it (Also dropbox/high-res).
All sorted by date and with descriptives in file name.
I'd have done a nice little album in imgur, but it was being a tit.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: To do / Done
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2014, 08:30:19 pm »
100% K&N filter
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2014, 09:02:09 pm »
100% K&N filter

Easily noticeable improvement, then?

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2014, 10:24:21 pm »
Small difference in performance, big difference in pocket savings when you never have to replace it again.

Bike looks good though - what fork gaiters did you use? I've got some old style rubber ones on mine, but after less than a summer of UV exposure they've fallen apart. I like all the small details being black - pegs front and rear, but I'm surprised you didn't do your swingarm at the same time? I've done mine and it looks much better. (powdercoated or painted btw?)

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2014, 10:49:32 pm »
Small difference in performance, big difference in pocket savings when you never have to replace it again.

Bike looks good though - what fork gaiters did you use? I've got some old style rubber ones on mine, but after less than a summer of UV exposure they've fallen apart. I like all the small details being black - pegs front and rear, but I'm surprised you didn't do your swingarm at the same time? I've done mine and it looks much better. (powdercoated or painted btw?)

Thanks.
I used some Acerbis motorcross neoprene gaiters. Cut them in half to cover top and bottom, stretched and secured with jubilee clips and cable ties.

The pegs etc are just spray canned black. Powder coating costs money i don't have, but would very much like to do the swingarm. I imagine it'll take a few days to get a good coat of primer on there, then there's the several thick coats of paint, then several of lacquer to seal it all in.

Or maybe i could just primer and coat it in VHT black, though i'm also thinking of doing it a matching grey, which i also want to use to paint the cylinder head covers, but that requires a new gasket which is about £30. One option is to buy a spare swingarm, paint that and then just swap it out. It'd certainly keep my bike on the road, and given that it's my only transport, that's a good thing.

Also: Time of year. If i do it now, it'll only get ruined over winter. Very much want to do it, though, so will have to wait until spring. It'll be around that time i'll also get the paint work buffed professionally as well as adding yamaha decals and getting some more lacquer on there to really finish it off.

I'm also tempted to get some C&C'd foot pegs (silver, maybe) front and rear, and some matching grips. But that's all cosmetics, and i have a large list of that stuff... Here's a rough collection of the cosmetics on ebay, and another of other items i'm thinking of. Nothing is set as yet, and some are just there as place-holders. It's all part of the plan to get the bike finished to a standard i'm happy with and before the start of next summer, with luck money.
« Last Edit: 20 October 2014, 10:50:37 pm by helloindustries »

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 October 2014, 11:33:30 pm »
Thanks for that! How is the angle of your clocks in sunlight?

True, I just thought that the first time anyone stood on them, and as soon as you ride the bike the paint on the pegs and kicks etc will just get rubbed off, hence powdercoating. I bought a cheap swingarm off ebay, ended up not so cheap when I had to replace the bearings after the powdercoater didn't tape over them, but hey ho. About £70 all in. Swapped out across a few hours.

You don't meant the cylinder heads, you mean the valve covers (the silver bits on top of the engine), which either don't need a new gasket (not the one in your ebay collection) as it's rubber (I think), or if it does, it'll be dirt cheap.

Looking at your ebay lists: those bobbins will be terrible - the first drop and they'll bend your engine mount bolts. And probably themselves. I have a TomTom Start - it's brilliant. If you want good quality, reputable exhaust wrap, look on the Driftworks shop: http://www.driftworks.com/exhaust-heat-wrap.html
As for the radiator cover - buy a 2nd hand one and spray it. That's the cheapest and best option, and you'll probably get something stainless that way, for less money.

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2014, 11:48:55 pm »
See, this is why i like it here. People ask questions, accept answers and offer insight. Not judgement. Excellent :D

Thanks for those suggestions. I'll certainly look into them.
The rear pegs have been used a few times and seem to be standing up to the rubbing pretty well so far. I've also wrapped some black vinyl around the mounts to help reduce wear and discolouration. They're also working well, though application was a pain and didn't go perfectly.

Sunlight doesn't seem to be much of a problem, certainly haven't had any moments where i've noticed glare. At least none that i can remember.

I'll keep the powdercoating in mind for when i can afford it. I also want to get my wheels done properly. The front is a spray can job i did, and it turned out pretty good, considering. The rear is in reasonable condition, but could do with some love. Tempted to go for.. not black. Not sure yet. Would also get several other bits coated at the same time. Mostly the top yoke, bar end weights, risers and maybe the forks, as i sprayed those myself, too.

I guess i do mean the valve covers, but i'm just going on what the manual is calling them:

I fully accept i may be wrong, though.

I've now made some additions/adjustments to the lists based on your suggestions.

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 October 2014, 01:06:53 am »
I was just unsure unsure of what you meant, while also thinking I knew (as I want to spray mine too), but was put off when you had a head gasket in your list on ebay! I reckon the cylinder head cover can be removed with almost everything insitu, if you have the right allen keys.

Good idea with the vinyl! I'll bear that in mind :D Good about the glare too, my clocks are mounted similarly, but at a different angle (less flat) and get a little glare at times. The size of them is one of my biggest bug-bears too! I wish they were more subtle and smaller!

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 October 2014, 01:20:33 am »
I was just unsure unsure of what you meant, while also thinking I knew (as I want to spray mine too), but was put off when you had a head gasket in your list on ebay! I reckon the cylinder head cover can be removed with almost everything insitu, if you have the right allen keys.

Good idea with the vinyl! I'll bear that in mind :D Good about the glare too, my clocks are mounted similarly, but at a different angle (less flat) and get a little glare at times. The size of them is one of my biggest bug-bears too! I wish they were more subtle and smaller!

I'm VERY tempted to get a Koso DB01+ as the standard speedo really is massive. Also considering some standard dials.

As for removing the head covers; Tools aren't an issue, thankfully. My technical skills, however.... ;)

Vinyl is pretty cheap on ebay, and you don't need a huge amount to get it all done. Just be aware that you may need some good spray adhesive on the back to keep the edges from peeling up, which i'm having a problem with. Also: Get the good stuff: 3M vinyl is a decent option.

I'm quite tempted to relocate the ignition and just move the speedo all the way back. But yeah; Would rather get the Koso...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 October 2014, 11:27:57 am »
100% K&N filter

Easily noticeable improvement, then?

I doubt anyone on here who has one will deny any very noticeable improvement.
It breathes much better and throttle response becomes more crisp in my opinion, in comparison to paper filters.
It won't increase any power but it will feel zippier.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.