Date: 28-04-24  Time: 15:34 pm

Author Topic: 9K rev-counter error Code  (Read 1130 times)

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
9K rev-counter error Code
« on: 06 March 2022, 07:03:19 pm »
For any future owners who encounter this rarity:

After 3 months of storage, I recently  tried & failed to start bike up.
Battery had been taken off bike & charged up, my Optimate 3 showed the green light so I asssumed all was fine.  Reconnected it to the bike & hit the starter.  Clock lights dimmed a bit, also got some high pitched buzzing from the solenoid but no cranking. I then got the rev counter flicking round to show a 9k error code which is meant to indicate an issue with the tilt switch just behind the battery.Re-charging the battery yet again & lot of fiddling with the solenoid got me nowhere, so in the end I risked replacing the battery to get her up & running again: a decent spin out today & she seems to be running fine now. A strange one, we're all familiar with the 7k exup error code yet there seems to be relatively little about the 9k code.
I think I might remove this new battery & bring it indoors away from the cold next winter, otherwise this could become an expensive habit....

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
Re: 9K rev-counter error Code
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2022, 09:18:31 pm »
Have a look here  :D   

https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=20273.0

3,000 RPM = Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Fault
4,000 RPM = Speed Sensor Fault
7,000 RPM = EXUP System Fault
9.000 RPM = Overturn Switch Fault
« Last Edit: 07 March 2022, 09:19:54 pm by Mark YPVS »

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2022, 10:07:00 am »
Weird that a duff battery would trigger the 9K fault code but useful to know it can happen. Something I believe to be true unless otherwise corrected is that one or more cells can fail on a battery but as the the remaining cell(s) are still able to output 12v most chargers don't detect a problem. If this happens as well as meaning lots of clicks and buzzing but no start, the lack of available amps could I guess mean the ECU doesn't have the ability to operate properly and so throws up random stuff, but that's an electrical ignoramus hypothesising so is probably rubbish. Anyhow glad you're up and running  :smokin

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2022, 12:14:16 pm »
Weird that a duff battery would trigger the 9K fault code but useful to know it can happen.

On the FZ6, a duff battery can often cause the display to register a fault with the Crank Position Sensor! Many of them have been pointlessly replaced because of this...

Something I believe to be true unless otherwise corrected is that one or more cells can fail on a battery but as the the remaining cell(s) are still able to output 12v most chargers don't detect a problem.

Imagine you've got a dozen glasses of beer. Volt meters just check the height, so I can drink a couple of your beers, but the meter would still suggest that you have 12 pints!

You need a drop tester to properly check a battery.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2022, 06:14:58 pm »
Yes, I was aware that the 9k error code is meant to be the tilt sensor, but on this occasion it wasn't.  Just to say, a search on this site reveals that the 9k error & possible battery cause has been mentioned before:
https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=16004.msg184022#msg184022
but from a few years ago, so good to keep it in the hivemind's memory  :) This might also save a few people buying tilt sensors in the future...  although it would probably be cheaper than a replacement battery  :(

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2022, 09:22:54 am »
I've updated the FAQ - 9.000 RPM = Overturn Switch Fault (Note: This error code can in some cases be triggered by a faulty battery).