Date: 30-04-24  Time: 23:16 pm

Author Topic: Engine light knock  (Read 1086 times)

Worz

• Cager in Training
  • Newboy/old man
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
Engine light knock
« on: 31 August 2014, 07:30:57 am »
After a lovely long dry summer I finally bit the bullet & took the lump out of my 12,000 mile fzs600, the local dealer and a number of mates were all flummoxed by the noise, so after checking all the usuals timing chain, valve caps etc I began stripping the engine, just hoping to find the source of the noise.
To my amazement once the barrel was off no3 big end was as loose as a dick in a bucket, somewhat relieved to have found the cause of the light knock, but very surprised to find on such a low mileage lump.
No other obvious signs of oil starve & no play or wear in any of the other journals.
Any thoughts ??.....…

Smoke me a kipper.............................
No sod that I'll have the full english.

Gav

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Engine light knock
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2014, 08:12:33 am »
Wow yeah not good for 12k.  However, great you found it and I know what it's like to that huge relief feeling.

:)

This week I've been mostly tinkering in the garage

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2014, 08:29:41 am »
Either a breakdown in the pressurised oil supply or faulty/incorrect size big end bearing shell?
While engine stripped check entire oil supply system-strainer,pickup,oil pump,oil feed jets,pressure relief valve but I imagine faulty oil supply would affect more than one set of shells.
Re bearing shells-any clues from code numbers?- see relevant section in Haynes manual.- assuming engine has never been dismantled from new this points towards incorrect size/clearance from original assembly?

Worz

• Cager in Training
  • Newboy/old man
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2014, 10:01:06 am »
Cheers dave, will pay close attention to all that, does look like engine hasn't been stripped before, bores are like new and no oversize stamps on any shells text :-/
Thanks
Worz
Smoke me a kipper.............................
No sod that I'll have the full english.