Date: 19-05-24  Time: 16:39 pm

Author Topic: Loss of tyre pressure  (Read 5666 times)

redfox1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Loss of tyre pressure
« on: 17 April 2016, 07:05:24 pm »
Hi everyone,Just a quick question-how common is it for the wheels to  become corroded ?.I'm asking as both my front and rear tyres are losing roughly about 1psi a day.I have had them refitted by a tyre tech,but they still leak about the same amount,and he did mention possible corrosion-has anybody else had this problem,and short of new wheels,is there anything else I can do?

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Loss of tyre pressure
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2016, 07:44:46 pm »
« Last Edit: 17 April 2016, 07:47:05 pm by Val »
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2016, 07:46:05 pm »
Hi everyone,Just a quick question-how common is it for the wheels to  become corroded ?.I'm asking as both my front and rear tyres are losing roughly about 1psi a day.I have had them refitted by a tyre tech,but they still leak about the same amount,and he did mention possible corrosion-has anybody else had this problem,and short of new wheels,is there anything else I can do?

Your Fazer is very new to have that. And I never heard that hapenning on even older Fazers. Theoretically is possible. What worries me your tyre "tech" uses the word "possible"? That means he has done not good job finding the leak. Does he ever immersed the whole tyre in a water tank to find the leak at all?

If not you need better tyre tech.

There may be zillion other thinks too. Like valves. Because of clamp weights. Cracks on wheels. Different tyre punctures.

If the corrosion in the beads is the problem, most tyre outlets will take off the tyre, clean off the worst of the corrosion and refit the tyre using a sealant that is specially made for the job.

Obviously your tyre "tech" has not find the leak and has not done the cleaning and sealant bit does he?
« Last Edit: 17 April 2016, 07:46:51 pm by Val »

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2016, 07:52:11 pm »
Check the tyre valve, make sure the inner part is screwed in correctly. Smear a bit of spit over the valve , after removing the cap obviously, see if there are any bubbles.Is the tyre seated correctly on the rim?
As for corrosion, possible but  I think it would be unlikely.

redfox1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2016, 08:27:28 pm »
Thanks,guys.I think the tech did use some sealant cos I can see the remains of it on the wheels.Done the spit test myself,and could see nothing-I guess I might go back to see if they could have another go,or maybe take it to another garage,but original garage is really local,so it will be harder,but the bike is otherwise great,so I suppose it's no real chore to put myself out! :)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2016, 09:20:05 pm »
Are you sure its sealant and not just remains of  whatever stuff they used to help tyre slip onto rim?
Where I get my bike  tyres fitted he uses a soaplike lube to ease them on better and it leaves a white residue.

redfox1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 April 2016, 09:40:05 pm »
Are you sure its sealant and not just remains of  whatever stuff they used to help tyre slip onto rim?
Where I get my bike  tyres fitted he uses a soaplike lube to ease them on better and it leaves a white residue.
Yea,that's right,the residue is white-does anybody know what colour the sealant is?-Problem is,this tyre fitter comes highly recommended round here and is normally quite trustworthy-but something's not quite right!

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 April 2016, 10:06:08 pm »
Ever considered filling the tyre with an off the shelf sealant (like slime) yourself?

I'm just putting that out there, I've never used the stuff, but I'm considering putting a can under the seat for some European touring I have planned.

I have a slow leak on my rear. I found today it was 21psi so inflated it back to 42, I'll check it next weekend and make a plan.

I also found the rear tyre has a 90degree valve and the front is straight so I couldn't use the compressor at my local garage and will but an emergency adaptor for it.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2016, 10:15:18 pm by Bretty »
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 April 2016, 10:32:55 pm »
Redfox, clean the white residue off & make up thick washing up liquid/water mix & apply with a paintbrush between tyre/rim,look for bubbles,also check tyre valves for cracks or leaks from the base where it goes through the wheel. 

redfox1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 April 2016, 06:47:58 am »
Redfox, clean the white residue off & make up thick washing up liquid/water mix & apply with a paintbrush between tyre/rim,look for bubbles,also check tyre valves for cracks or leaks from the base where it goes through the wheel.
Good idea-it's the fact that both tyres are both leaking at once which makes me doubt corrosion-they're year-old BT 23's which I've always had a problem with retaining pressure-will check the rims with the washing-up water to see if I can see anything

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 April 2016, 07:36:19 am »
Ever considered filling the tyre with an off the shelf sealant (like slime) yourself?

I'm just putting that out there, I've never used the stuff, but I'm considering putting a can under the seat for some European touring I have planned.

I have a slow leak on my rear. I found today it was 21psi so inflated it back to 42, I'll check it next weekend and make a plan.

I also found the rear tyre has a 90degree valve and the front is straight so I couldn't use the compressor at my local garage and will but an emergency adaptor for it.

The slime stuff works very well, i had a slow leak in my rear tyre, which still had life left in it so i gave it a go.
Few months down the line i heard a pop one morning and saw a large screw had gone in at a funny angle.
Tyre didn't deflate at all so i rode to bike tyre place a few miles away and got mugged off for a new T30 as it was the best one they had in stock.
They won't repair a tyre with this stuff in, because it's just too messy, and they'd have trouble using glue so it's way too much effort, but it'll certainly get you out of trouble if touring.
Can be a bugger to put in the valve though, it's lumpy so you need something to poke it down with and preferably an air line to use as well.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 April 2016, 11:11:35 am »
Yea,that's right,the residue is white-does anybody know what colour the sealant is?-Problem is,this tyre fitter comes highly recommended round here and is normally quite trustworthy-but something's not quite right!

The sealant is yellow. Also it is important to clean well the corrosion on the beads before apply the sealant if that is the reason for the leak.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: 18 April 2016, 11:44:29 am »
did he replace the valve stems? They are a known failure point.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 April 2016, 12:07:53 pm »
Very possible the valve has not been changed for a long time. They do perish and leak, badly perished one can break down suddenly.

Fazer rims are pretty good lasting and unlikely to be the source of the leak.

Don't go putting any crap without finding the problem first.

flakey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 April 2016, 06:59:12 pm »
have your tyre fitter remove the tyre, replace the valve, clean up any corrosion on the wheel and then refit the tyre using the bead seal black sealant (like liquid rubber), rebalance your wheel, your problems should be solved, shouldnt cost much at all maybe £10 piss easy job for a tyre fitter. even the likes of ATS or national tyres or bathwick might do it

redfox1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 April 2016, 07:58:57 pm »
have your tyre fitter remove the tyre, replace the valve, clean up any corrosion on the wheel and then refit the tyre using the bead seal black sealant (like liquid rubber), rebalance your wheel, your problems should be solved, shouldnt cost much at all maybe £10 piss easy job for a tyre fitter. even the likes of ATS or national tyres or bathwick might do it
Yep-deffo going back to the tech to see if he can fix-this time I'm going to ask where any possible corrosion is,and see if it can be addressed.Since yesterday the back tyre lost about 2 psi,front wasn't so bad,but both still losing pressure,so I've no alternative-Thanks for all the useful advice,folks :thumbup

redfox1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 April 2016, 05:58:53 pm »
Just a quick update.Spoke to the tyre tech,who told me bring the bike back in.However,he said the wheels were corroded,and also that,if all else fails,he'd consider putting tubes in!-Now that's novel.Has anybody else heard of tubes under tubeless tyres?!

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 April 2016, 06:22:32 pm »
They must be proper corroded... I have seen some in a real state and they are fine at keeping pressure.  Mine are not the best and are fine, the beads usually manage a decent seal.  Mine have both leaked at the valve Base.  A quick squirt with oil and spinning them got me to the next set of tyres when I replaced the valves. 

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Intentionally left blank

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 April 2016, 07:35:00 pm »
Just a quick update.Spoke to the tyre tech,who told me bring the bike back in.However,he said the wheels were corroded,and also that,if all else fails,he'd consider putting tubes in!-Now that's novel.Has anybody else heard of tubes under tubeless tyres?!

Not all tubeless tyres are suitable for putting tubes in. :eek
I have never seen a fazer rim so badly corroded it would leak unless the tyre was fitted without tyre soap. The tyre soap not only aids putting on the tyre also acts as a bit of a sealant. I still think it is the valve needs changing and if it was changed he may have fitted it dry or could also be a bit of dirt stuck on the rubber of the valve core.

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 April 2016, 12:16:36 am »
Personally I would not recommend putting tubes in, if you get a nail in the tyre it will deflate at a much higher rate with a tube and if that happened on a spirited ride going into a corner who knows where you might land, I would check the valve stem where it comes through the wheel, if no leak there try round the rim and round the tyre, use warm water with a dash of fairy, (warm water sticks to the rubber and does not run off like cold) if it is round the rim clean all corrosion off and use the liquid rubber like others have already said.
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 April 2016, 04:17:28 pm »
You could always over inflate them by say 3psi and pump them up once a week, wouldn't be the end of the world!
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

redfox1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 April 2016, 06:22:53 pm »

You could always over inflate them by say 3psi and pump them up once a week, wouldn't be the end of the world!
:)

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #22 on: 21 April 2016, 05:01:15 pm »
Have the valve checked. Could be leaking beside the valve itself. Rubber becomes damaged, or the valve is not well seated in the wheel's rim. New valve is not expensive.

Since the tyre would be taken off when doing that, check the tyre as well for any punctures, and make sure the rim is clean and some glue is placed on it before mounting the tyre back.

Good tyre service can do it all in no time.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.