Date: 05-05-24  Time: 12:56 pm

Poll

Just wondering which way the great Foccers Forum will vote?

STAY IN THE EU
12 (20.7%)
LEAVE THE EU
34 (58.6%)
SEEK FURTHER NEGOTIATIONS TO BETTER OUR CONTRACT
9 (15.5%)
DON'T GIVE A FOC
3 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: 27 February 2016, 11:43:33 am

Author Topic: EU in or out ?  (Read 43755 times)

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
Re: EU in or out ?
« Reply #50 on: 22 February 2016, 05:08:46 pm »
We will be going back to the 12 mile offshore fishing limits again. That twat Ted Heath signed away the fishing limits to the EU as part of the deal to get us in.

And if we are out then we should no longer have the problem of huge factory ships raping our waters.

http://britishseafishing.co.uk/atlantic-dawn-the-ship-from-hell/

I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

Motopsycho87

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 22 February 2016, 05:25:24 pm »
If we leave it'll start a chain reaction. Other countries will leave and the EU will go tits up in a year or two. Then perhaps it could be rebuilt as a trade agreement between European countries, and leave all these massive fees and free roaming visa behind. I'm with Nigel, OUT!

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 22 February 2016, 06:31:23 pm »
Interesting that another site I use is running a poll with similar results....

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #53 on: 23 February 2016, 12:53:02 pm »
If we leave it'll start a chain reaction. Other countries will leave and the EU will go tits up in a year or two. Then perhaps it could be rebuilt as a trade agreement between European countries, and leave all these massive fees and free roaming visa behind. I'm with Nigel, OUT!

From what I know, once a country enters the EU, it can never go back. Not joking. Not sure if it requires constitution, or just some lows, agreements signed, but one of the tricks is you can no longer go back. A least the continental countries.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 24 February 2016, 10:52:41 am »
That sums up the whole debate rather nicely  :rollin

Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 24 February 2016, 11:59:54 am »
Out for me, at least until the Franco-German 'bloc' can learn to be a bit less bossy. Why do all these countries want to give up their individual identities? Is that they only way they can see of avoiding future wars? Here in the UK, we're all for devolving national government so that local needs are better catered for, and I think the same is even more pertinent on international scales. What do Brussels or Berlin know of what we need in Cumbria, or care for that matter? And all the scaremongers who say, "oh, we don't know what 'out' will look like"  :rolleyes  Like we'd be the only country in the world that values it's independence and survives perfectly well. Do people really think all contact, trade, diplomatic relations, common security concerns etc will completely cease between us and the Euro bloc if we leave? And yet all the other Euro countries are so desperate to keep us inside the EU? The US wants us to stay in, you say? What about losing our special relationship with them? Seems to me that's a one way deal anyway, they get what they want from us, we get feck-all from them - just dictated to.

No, I think it's time we learned to stand on our own feet again. We may not be so much 'Great' Britain anymore, but we have to learn to get along in the world on our own merits. Perhaps we'll be less blasé about our education system and industry etc if we actually need home grown talent to survive in the world.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2016, 12:05:51 pm by Hedgetrimmer »

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 24 February 2016, 05:35:41 pm »

sign this if you agree that only British can vote and not to inc immigrants.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/109868
« Last Edit: 24 February 2016, 05:37:07 pm by johnakay »
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #57 on: 24 February 2016, 05:43:17 pm »
I heard an interesting thing on the news the other day. People eligible to vote in the British referendum include any IRISH living in the UK but not other non-British nationalities.

Why are any non-British nationals allowed to vote?
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 24 February 2016, 06:44:08 pm »
Holland and Mertle want to be king and queen of Europe and we are the court jester dancing the their tune, they need us more than we need them, any new trade deals that need to be done will be done and the sooner the better for them I would not be surprised if behind the scenes that the deals have already been done ready to star on June 24th   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 24 February 2016, 08:37:16 pm »
I heard an interesting thing on the news the other day. People eligible to vote in the British referendum include any IRISH living in the UK but not other non-British nationalities.

Why are any non-British nationals allowed to vote?

Both Irish and Commonwealth citizens over 18 who are U.K. residents, as well as UK nationals who have lived overseas for less than 15 years and Commonwealth citizens living in Gibraltar will be eligible to vote in the referendum.  :eek

As far as I know, it is because of the historical free movement between these countries and it will directly effect these people who live, work and pay UK tax. :thumbup

And to get our own back for 800 years of oppression :lol :lol :lol

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 24 February 2016, 08:41:30 pm »
 Firstly we are having a referendum because DC had to appease the right wing of his party coming up to the last general election.  This referendum is more about the Tory Party than it is about Europe.  The first bit for DC was easy, but now having held his party together with that promise, well he has to deliver - not so easy - and if he fails to win, well he will have won an election only to have taken to country out of the EU and destroyed his political career.  Not to mention left the UK close to splitting itself.
Secondly, there is all the workplace legislation that is good for us all.  One reason many Tories hate the EU is it gives us workers rights.  The human rights act too, it would be a disaster if leaving the EU opened the door to scrapping it.
And of course the EU is the single biggest open market in the world, being a member gives us full access, and full influence.  If we leave we will need to sign up to a trade agreement, ie pay money for the same access but have no clout or say in return, and we will have no guarantees whatsoever.  Economically your immediate trade partners are always your most important and reliable. 
CE standards will still be set by the EU, if we leave we will have no say but will have to abide by them, as we will in so many other ways but will have no say.
If there is any threat to our access to the EU market many big companies will leave.  Big companies like Nissan and Honda for example came here because we were the perfect EU base, they'll already have their exit contingency plans drawn up.
Scotland - Vote no, take us out - and it appears that Scotland will vote to stay by a considerable majority - there will be another Independence Referendum and the UK will be no more, outside of the EU as the independent Scotland signs up to continue it's membership.
Yup DC has created one hell of a nightmare for himself.
I'll be voting to stay in. 

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 24 February 2016, 09:42:19 pm »
I'm still slightly undecided because if we vote out the strong EU countries like Germany, France , Holland etc.. Will deal amongst themselves rather than deal with us, as a get it up you for leaving. This is because as had been said before we give a lot to the EU. Because we foolishly joined the eu in the first place, it has backfired on us because we are now in a situation where we know if we leave they will tax us like they do the Norwegians for exporting there fish. Poland can now sell there fish to the EU cheaper than the Norwegians :\  The other reason is Scotland wants to remain in the EU, Which may start an Independence referendum.
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 24 February 2016, 09:48:06 pm »
Firstly we are having a referendum because DC had to appease the right wing of his party coming up to the last general election.  This referendum is more about the Tory Party than it is about Europe.  The first bit for DC was easy, but now having held his party together with that promise, well he has to deliver - not so easy - and if he fails to win, well he will have won an election only to have taken to country out of the EU and destroyed his political career.  Not to mention left the UK close to splitting itself.
Secondly, there is all the workplace legislation that is good for us all.  One reason many Tories hate the EU is it gives us workers rights.  The human rights act too, it would be a disaster if leaving the EU opened the door to scrapping it.
And of course the EU is the single biggest open market in the world, being a member gives us full access, and full influence.  If we leave we will need to sign up to a trade agreement, ie pay money for the same access but have no clout or say in return, and we will have no guarantees whatsoever.  Economically your immediate trade partners are always your most important and reliable. 
CE standards will still be set by the EU, if we leave we will have no say but will have to abide by them, as we will in so many other ways but will have no say.
If there is any threat to our access to the EU market many big companies will leave.  Big companies like Nissan and Honda for example came here because we were the perfect EU base, they'll already have their exit contingency plans drawn up.
Scotland - Vote no, take us out - and it appears that Scotland will vote to stay by a considerable majority - there will be another Independence Referendum and the UK will be no more, outside of the EU as the independent Scotland signs up to continue it's membership.
I agree with every single word  :thumbup

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 24 February 2016, 10:00:07 pm »
I dont agree with any of it

outside of the EU as the independent Scotland signs up to continue it's membership.
No they wouldnt because they could never afford the subs on their own

Firstly we are having a referendum because DC had to appease the right wing of his party coming up to the last general election.
No its not its because of the amount of people who voted for UKIP

And of course the EU is the single biggest open market in the world.

That one is always touted bypassing the fact that the rest of the world is the biggest joint in which we have to trade with EU agreements and being free of eu would mean that we can negotiate our own trades with the rest of the world freely and on better terms

being a member gives us full access, and full influence.
Oh yeh that has just been demonstrated hasn't it by cameron crawling on his hands and knees with a begging bowl only to be thrown a few scraps- such great influence.
The human rights act too, it would be a disaster if leaving the EU opened the door to scrapping it
Ok not sure on this one but weren't we the ones who came up with this in the first place

CE standards will still be set by the EU, if we leave we will have no say but will have to abide by them

The EU is not all bad and we can pick the bits we do like - nowt wrong with CE

If there is any threat to our access to the EU market many big companies will leave.

No they wont,-- hot air -- the letter just signed by only 36 of the fst 100 companies, HSBC were threatening to leave but backed out when we called there bluff
« Last Edit: 25 February 2016, 09:34:14 pm by fazersharp »

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 24 February 2016, 10:03:22 pm »

The same sorts of statements about loss of business were stated about us not being in the Eurozone, and they turned out to be wildly incorrect. Us, Sweden, Denmark and the Czech Republic all opted to retain our own currencies and our economies weathered the recession much better than those in the eurozone. Growth in Cz has dwarfed that in neighbouring Slovakia largely because Slovakia has been hamstrung by the stagnation on the Euro. It's amusing that the same arguments used to try to drop the pound are now being used to retain membership. The arguments need to be much more robust.

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 24 February 2016, 10:07:29 pm »
I'm still slightly undecided because if we vote out the strong EU countries like Germany, France , Holland etc.. Will deal amongst themselves rather than deal with us, as a get it up you for leaving. This is because as had been said before we give a lot to the EU. Because we foolishly joined the eu in the first place, it has backfired on us because we are now in a situation where we know if we leave they will tax us like they do the Norwegians for exporting there fish. Poland can now sell there fish to the EU cheaper than the Norwegians :\  The other reason is Scotland wants to remain in the EU, Which may start an Independence referendum.

It's worth remembering that we buy more german cars than any other market in the world. The idea that levies will be imposed on EU exports to the UK are misguided, it would turn into an overnight arms-race/battle of wills. If we left (it's all on a knife edge) the divorce would include a free trade agreement between the EU and the UK, there are unlikely to be a sudden introduction of tariffs (BMW and Volkswagen would be bending Merkels ear in a flash, who would in turn bend the Commision's collective ear).

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 24 February 2016, 10:15:30 pm »
I dont agree with any of it

outside of the EU as the independent Scotland signs up to continue it's membership.

No its not its because of the amount of people who voted for UKIP

That one is always touted bypassing the fact that the rest of the world is the biggest joint in which we have to trade with EU agreements and being free of eu would mean that we can negotiate our own trades with the rest of the world freely and on better terms

being a member gives us full access, and full influence.
Oh yeh that has just been demonstrated hasn't it by cameron crawling on his hands and knees with a begging bowl only to be thrown a few scraps- such great influence.
The human rights act too, it would be a disaster if leaving the EU opened the door to scrapping it
Ok not sure on this one but weren't we the ones who came up with this in the first place

CE standards will still be set by the EU, if we leave we will have no say but will have to abide by them

The EU is not all bad and we can pick the bits we do like - nowt wrong with CE

If there is any threat to our access to the EU market many big companies will leave.

No they wont,-- hot air -- the letter just signed by only 36 of the fst 100 companies, HSBC were threatening to leave but backed out when we called there bluff

The European Convention on Human Rights/Strasbourg is held up as some pious thing of brilliance, yet at least one judge in ECJ was banned in his own country (I think it was Romania) for corruption. Why is this court put on a pedestal, when it's judges may not be fit for purpose and it's judges seem to disregard morality in the race to be seen to uphold to individual rights against the greater good? The first Bill of Rights in the modern world was written by the English. Didn't the Continental Congress paraphrase much of it when the US was founded?

Doesn't NAFTA use CE markings as they consider it such a useful standard?

Remember before EU/EEC that the British Standard and the Kitemark were used around the world, both in Commonwealth countries and by adoption elsewhere. We don't have to be a member of the EC to use it's standards.

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 24 February 2016, 10:20:53 pm »
Why do all these countries want to give up their individual identities? Is that they only way they can see of avoiding future wars? Here in the UK, we're all for devolving national government so that local needs are better catered for, and I think the same is even more pertinent on international scales. What do Brussels or Berlin know of what we need in Cumbria, or care for that matter?

This is an EXCELLENT point. There is clearly is a large gap between what EU is doing and what UK is doing.

Having said that if UK - EU relationship turns sour (not saying that OUT means that), here in Ireland things might get tricky as UK is by far the largest trading partner..! Interesting times that we live in!

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 24 February 2016, 11:18:05 pm »
Yes they could. Scotland has a much bigger population (5.3m) than Slovenia (2.1m)
outside of the EU as the independent Scotland signs up to continue it's membership.No its not its because of the amount of people who voted for UKIP
Which is far far less than the people who didn't vote for UKIP
That one is always touted bypassing the fact that the rest of the world is the biggestjoint in which we have to trade with EU agreements and being free of eu would mean that we can negotiate our own trades with the rest of the world freely and on better terms

The major traders (USA, China etc) want to trade with a EU all on the same terms, not with individual countries on different terms.
They have said so.being a member gives us full access, and full influence.Oh yeh that has just been demonstrated hasn't it by cameron crawling on his hands and knees with a begging bowl only to be thrown a few scraps- such great influence.
No other individual country has got such specific terms
The human rights act too, it would be a disaster if leaving the EU opened the door to scrapping itOk not sure on this one but weren't we the ones who came up with this in the first place
No we didn't. It [Human Rights Act 1998] is composed of a series of sections that have the effect of codifying the protections in the European Convention on Human Rights into UK law
If there is any threat to our access to the EU market many big companies will leave.No they wont,-- hot air -- the letter just signed by only 36 of the fst 100 companies, HSBC were threatening to leave but backed out when we called there bluff.
HSBC is British by name then ? :-) Honda, Toyota, BAE etc etc and now Aston Martin - all will leave. They are in the UK so they can export to the EC without tariff. If we leave that will end and they will move
« Last Edit: 24 February 2016, 11:22:01 pm by mtread »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 24 February 2016, 11:41:34 pm »
If Hsbc honda toyota to trade freely within the EU - why didn't they set up there in the first place

No other country has asked or wants them

Plenty enough to force camerons hand
« Last Edit: 24 February 2016, 11:43:16 pm by fazersharp »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 25 February 2016, 12:03:53 am »
Hsbc honda toyota to trade freely within the EU - why didn't they set up there in the first place Some do, and some choose the UK. But they won't if we leave.

No other country has asked or wants themNot sure that's true. Denmark is looking pretty envious. Anyway, if we have them and nobody else does, all the more reason to stay.

Plenty enough to force camerons hand
As has been said, it's Tory back benchers which have forced his hand. UKIP have one (ex-Tory) MP, and can't even get their leader elected to Parliament.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #71 on: 25 February 2016, 06:56:36 am »

Out for me, at least until the Franco-German 'bloc' can learn to be a bit less bossy. Why do all these countries want to give up their individual identities? Is that they only way they can see of avoiding future wars?

I can speak for my country - Serbia. Government is run by the EU, doing what they're told. Media is controlled, people brainwashed (and often bribed to vote for them).

The good thing would be a possibility to work in the EU a lot easier.

Here in the UK, we're all for devolving national government so that local needs are better catered for, and I think the same is even more pertinent on international scales. What do Brussels or Berlin know of what we need in Cumbria, or care for that matter? And all the scaremongers who say, "oh, we don't know what 'out' will look like"  :rolleyes  Like we'd be the only country in the world that values it's independence and survives perfectly well. Do people really think all contact, trade, diplomatic relations, common security concerns etc will completely cease between us and the Euro bloc if we leave? And yet all the other Euro countries are so desperate to keep us inside the EU? The US wants us to stay in, you say? What about losing our special relationship with them? Seems to me that's a one way deal anyway, they get what they want from us, we get feck-all from them - just dictated to.

No, I think it's time we learned to stand on our own feet again. We may not be so much 'Great' Britain anymore, but we have to learn to get along in the world on our own merits. Perhaps we'll be less blasé about our education system and industry etc if we actually need home grown talent to survive in the world.

Countries will soon cease to exist - just companies.

My history teacher used to define a "state" as: "an instrument that protects the interests of the rich/ruling, while keeping the rest of the population in obedience". EU is the same thing on a greater level.
« Last Edit: 25 February 2016, 09:22:24 pm by Slaninar »
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 25 February 2016, 07:17:59 am »
Out for me, at least until the Franco-German 'bloc' can learn to be a bit less bossy. Why do all these countries want to give up their individual identities? Is that they only way they can see of avoiding future wars?

I can speak for my country - Serbia. Government is run by the EU, doing what they're told. Media is controlled, people brainwashed (and often bribed to vote for them).

The good thing would be a possibility to work in the EU a lot easier.

Here in the UK, we're all for devolving national government so that local needs are better catered for, and I think the same is even more pertinent on international scales. What do Brussels or Berlin know of what we need in Cumbria, or care for that matter? And all the scaremongers who say, "oh, we don't know what 'out' will look like"  :rolleyes  Like we'd be the only country in the world that values it's independence and survives perfectly well. Do people really think all contact, trade, diplomatic relations, common security concerns etc will completely cease between us and the Euro bloc if we leave? And yet all the other Euro countries are so desperate to keep us inside the EU? The US wants us to stay in, you say? What about losing our special relationship with them? Seems to me that's a one way deal anyway, they get what they want from us, we get feck-all from them - just dictated to.

Countries will soon cease to exist - just companies.

My history teacher used to define a "state" as: "an instrument that protects the interests of the rich/ruling, while keeping the rest of the population in obedience". EU is the same thing on a greater level.

Quite agree - I laugh when people moan about 'Tories', in terms of shear self-protection and corporatism the EU makes the Tories look like War on Want. Labour are always banging on about Working Class people making it to Government, the Lords etc. I'd love to see the figures for WC folk from the UK (and across the EU) getting jobs within the upper escelons of the EU. The figure won't be high, it's not what you know in Brussels it's absolutely who you know and who wants you in the club.

Ask the average Joe in the street if he wants more politicians, and if your lucky he'll laugh at you, more likely he'll tell you are all parasites. Yet we've loaded an entire continent with career bureaucrats.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #73 on: 25 February 2016, 10:54:35 am »
Compare the EU to the USA.

The USA is essentially a bunch of countries (known as states) that share a common currency, common federal laws (with state specific ones), a free trade agreement and different tax rules.

How is this different to the EU? The difference is that within the EU, at the moment, we have more clout within each country to do what we want than each US state has. If we let the EU continue on the path Merkel and Co want to take it, it will end up exactly like the USA and pretty much like Hitler wanted in 1939.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 25 February 2016, 11:55:27 am »
Honda, Toyota, BAE etc etc and now Aston Martin - all will leave.
Aston Martin you say
 BBC News -- exactly the same time you were typing that

Aston Martin is to build its new luxury car in south Wales, creating 750 highly-skilled jobs.
The DBX car will be hand-made in a super hangar at St Athan in the Vale of Glamorgan.
It is a major coup for Wales to secure the deal ahead of 20 locations across the world.

So again more scaremongering,some companies have said it will put jobs at risk.
And there is the subtle phrase "at risk" - when asked if these companies have plans to reduce staff they say no.
Does anyone think for one minute that there has not been secrete talks already to put in place trade plans ready for the day after an out vote 

« Last Edit: 25 February 2016, 12:13:17 pm by fazersharp »